Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone have experience with travel insurance -- whether just booking it or actually making a claim -- and have any companies to particularly recommend or suggest to avoid? I had MedJetAssist with my family for years, but its individual prices are crazy high (like $400) compared to other companies I've looked at, like Allianz has a full coverage plan for around $250 with no deductible. My regular health insurance covers me for accidents abroad, but not for repatriation and doesn't cover the cost of 'lost' vacation (old plane tickets, whatever). I'm going to be abroad for about six months this year in a variety of countries, many with lovely healthcare, so I really do need to get something, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I've always used World Nomads. They're pretty much designed for trips to multiple countries, and they cover stuff like emergency evacuation and repatriation. You can also extend your policy whenever via their website, so it's pretty convenient.

That said, I've never had to actually make a claim through them, though from everything I've heard they are pretty reliable.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If you're looking for travel interruption/cancellation insurance and you're paying for everything on a card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice program. Up to $10K reimbursement in both categories.

The benefits guide: https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...93a5da321753a6c

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

If you're looking for travel interruption/cancellation insurance and you're paying for everything on a card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice program. Up to $10K reimbursement in both categories.

The benefits guide: https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...93a5da321753a6c

Thanks, yeah I put pretty much everything on AmEx gold because they offer a lot of those things like CDW, although this looks better than the AmEx program. Nice to know for the future.

I'm mainly looking for what happens if I break my leg in the middle of the Atacama and need to not be treated by the local vet with nothing but an old bottle of whisky as both anesthetic and antiseptic. I've been checking Allianz's program ( http://www.allianz-assistance.ch/content/3/en/travel-insurance/annual ) which, at 144 CHF ($156) for the Single Trip Plus, looks like a steal and I don't know how they even break even.

Many of the other ones, like World Nomads, are great for like a three-week trip, but for a four/five month trip, like mine, they start to cost as much as a real insurance program.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2015

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I'm using British Airways and I'm not sure where to go for traveler's insurance. I see BA offers their own insurance, and it's only $85, but with World Nomads it's $169. Should I just go with BA's?
If I'm planning on traveling to Europe and visiting different countries, do I need multi-country insurance or do I just need to state which country I'm arriving in (Netherlands)? What would be a fair cost for insurance to stay there for 2 months?

Banjo Bones fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread