Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Problem description:

Windows 8.1 laptop hangs on shut down or reboot. I left it overnight once and it still was on the shut down screen the next morning. I have to manually power cycle it. This problem has persisted for a while, along with occasional BSODs. Today I decided to fix whatever it was, and the BSODs seemed related to AVG antivirus. This is where the problem really starts.

The AVG remover tool went to restart the system, I had to hard reset it, and now it will only boot into limited startup. Apparently the audio services are not starting. I can't seem to change it back to regular startup because shut down and reboot are not working.

This problem involved a few steps:

1. Recently I noticed that Windows was hanging on shut down or restart, but I didn't think much of it. (hybrid sleep is turned off)

2. I've had some BSODs lately, so I decided to stop that from happening. Lookup system exception netio.sys, turns out its AVG I guess.

3. Run AVG removal tool

4. AVG removal tool restarts the computer -- gently caress: I forgot computer hangs on restart

5. Hard reset the computer

6. Computer boots into limited startup; audio services not working (wtf)

7. I go to set everything to normal boot. reboot doesn't work, hard reset

8. computer boots into limited startup, audio services not working

This is where I am at this point: shut down and reboot doesn't work, but now my computer is booting into limited startup even when

Attempted fixes: Went to system configuration to set it back to normal startup, but that won't work. I still have no idea why the system won't shut down or reboot. I tried googling the problem, but there are so many shutdown and restart related problems I haven't been able to figure it out.

Recent changes: I ran AVG Remover, but the infinite hanging on reboot and shut down seems to be the main problem.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64bit

System specs: Lenovo Y50-70 Model #20378

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Update: Probably a bunch of windows services are corrupted; audio service won't start.

Windows tech won't help me reinstall without a $99 service fee or "helping" me buy another copy of Windows.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Refreshing windows fixed problem.

I accidentally deleted my backup drive.

we;lp

• Locked thread