Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I recently started seeing someone who happens to be into roleplaying games too and I was wondering what games out there that were designed to specifically be played by only two players, since scheduling with my other friends can get a little difficult sometimes.

Games where it's not strictly GM and player would be great. I'm sure there are some out there. I'm not looking to like, run a pared down game of D&D or anything like that though.

Have any of you played any games like this? How did it work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I would recommend Pathfinder Adventure card game. IT's not quite the same thing as a role-playing game, but you have all the fun aspects of characters building between sessions and having a permanent character sheet. My brother and I play this quite a bit, and there are three 'seasons' of them. The way it works is that you buy the base set for one of the seasons, playthrough all the adventures in it, takes a few weeks, and then buy the next 'adventure deck' to get more adventures.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Never played any specific 2-player games, but here are some I know of:
Mars Colony (and Mars Colony: 39 Dark which is a different version for a different scenario), by Tim Koppang
Shoot the Moon and Breaking the Ice, by Emily Care Boss (note: these are games about relationships, also there's a third one, but I don't know whether it's designed for 2 players)
Abnormal, by Avery Mcdaldno (note: it has 1-3 roles for 1-3 players, but 2 of the roles are a lot bigger than the third)
De Profundis, by Michal Oracz (note: this is a letter-writing horror game designed to have some bleed into everyday life, which is pretty specific)
Not state of the art and not original, by unknown

Some other games you could run 2-player without a GM:
Pocket Danger Patrol and Gamma Patrol, by John Harper and John Aegard
InSpectres, by Jared Sorensen, though you probably need some experience running it with a GM first
Microscope, by Ben Robbins
Left Coast short story edition, by Steve Hickey
The Quiet Year, by Avery Mcdaldno
The Sundered Land, by Vincent Baker (every game in this set except A Doomed Pilgrim, which is by necessity poly-player and online-only, though they'd work better with 3+ players)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This is all you need.

• Locked thread