Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've always thought you should post on luelinks instead of here and this post makes me think this even more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Thinik again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LUElinks licks rear end bro

e:kicks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

LUElinks licks rear end bro

e:kicks
do they still hate nintendo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Who officially won the last generations console war who sold the most xbox ps3 or wii (lol no )

who finally won the console war

pc

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

i've always thought you should post on luelinks instead of here and this post makes me think this even more

A Goodbye To Twitter Manifesto
Update (5/4/2015): I broke up with my girlfriend but yall still piss me off

I was with my girlfriend last night (March 17th) and I decided to check Tweetdeck on my computer. Being a curious woman, she asked if she could see my timeline of tweets. I was hesitant for a couple of seconds, but I decided to let her look. While we were scrolling down, however, I felt kind of embarrassed- not because of the fact that my tweets were bad (they usually are, but that’s not the point), but because I was worried that she’d ask what one of them meant. Just today, something clicked for me: if I’m embarrassed about being on Twitter, then what’s the point of being on there?

There have been plenty of ugly incidents involving people in our corner of Twitter, but something particularly nasty that unfolded over the past couple of days was the last straw for me. Somebody tweeted a link to a friend’s GoFundMe page asking for money to get a flight from Colorado to New York City so that she could attend her Birthright Israel trip. I never took advantage of the free trip when I was eligible for it due to a few philosophical disagreements that I will not get into here, but I knew many people in college who went and had a great time. I can’t begrudge someone for taking a Birthright trip, but a lot of people in my circle of friends certainly did. Nobody deserves awful treatment from internet strangers- certainly not the friend of someone who, to my knowledge, has never contributed to Twitter’s constant culture of negativity. It was bad enough that people were piling on this person’s friend for ideological crimes, but donating $5 under the alias “Adolf Hitler” was a new, horrifying low.

I shouldn’t have to make excuses about Twitter drama to people who aren’t in the loop, and I’d have a hell of a time making excuses for this. If I leave out the concept of “ironic humor” while explaining why this happened, you’d probably think that this was flat-out anti-Semitic. But even when I explain it in the proper context, I still have to concede that this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you still thought that the person who did this is an anti-Semite. I used to enjoy interacting with my Twitter pals, but today, I feel ashamed and angry about them, and I let people know about that in ways that I sometimes regret.

Proud ex-Twitter user Cliff Vickrey explained the poisonous atmosphere of “Weird Twitter” here. I cannot stress enough that you should read his blog post- he has a way with words and he’s also very funny. A couple of days ago, I was texting a friend that I first met through meetups with people from Twitter (or, if you want to use the bad portmanteau, I met him through “tweetups”). He told me that no one he knew had a problem with me until I started getting angry about some people on Twitter. Frankly, simply being a part of this circle of people makes me angry, and all the reasons about why Cliff left Twitter apply to me as well. I’ve quit being a regular part of a few websites in the past because they stopped being enjoyable. For that reason, I finally know that leaving Twitter would be my best course of action.

Don’t worry- this is not goodbye. I won’t be tweeting, but I will keep my account open so that I can leave this note pinned on my page. I really do like many of you, but I don’t feel like alienating any more people than I already have, so I can’t talk to you here. You can find me on Facebook, Skype, or Google Hangouts- just send me a Twitter DM and I’ll give you my information. And please, try to start being nice to each other- I know a lot of you are good people. “Tane” care!

Dec 26, 2012

emoji posted:

A Goodbye To Twitter Manifesto
Update (5/4/2015): I broke up with my girlfriend but yall still piss me off

I was with my girlfriend last night (March 17th) and I decided to check Tweetdeck on my computer. Being a curious woman, she asked if she could see my timeline of tweets. I was hesitant for a couple of seconds, but I decided to let her look. While we were scrolling down, however, I felt kind of embarrassed- not because of the fact that my tweets were bad (they usually are, but that’s not the point), but because I was worried that she’d ask what one of them meant. Just today, something clicked for me: if I’m embarrassed about being on Twitter, then what’s the point of being on there?

There have been plenty of ugly incidents involving people in our corner of Twitter, but something particularly nasty that unfolded over the past couple of days was the last straw for me. Somebody tweeted a link to a friend’s GoFundMe page asking for money to get a flight from Colorado to New York City so that she could attend her Birthright Israel trip. I never took advantage of the free trip when I was eligible for it due to a few philosophical disagreements that I will not get into here, but I knew many people in college who went and had a great time. I can’t begrudge someone for taking a Birthright trip, but a lot of people in my circle of friends certainly did. Nobody deserves awful treatment from internet strangers- certainly not the friend of someone who, to my knowledge, has never contributed to Twitter’s constant culture of negativity. It was bad enough that people were piling on this person’s friend for ideological crimes, but donating $5 under the alias “Adolf Hitler” was a new, horrifying low.

I shouldn’t have to make excuses about Twitter drama to people who aren’t in the loop, and I’d have a hell of a time making excuses for this. If I leave out the concept of “ironic humor” while explaining why this happened, you’d probably think that this was flat-out anti-Semitic. But even when I explain it in the proper context, I still have to concede that this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to do. I certainly wouldn’t blame you if you still thought that the person who did this is an anti-Semite. I used to enjoy interacting with my Twitter pals, but today, I feel ashamed and angry about them, and I let people know about that in ways that I sometimes regret.

Proud ex-Twitter user Cliff Vickrey explained the poisonous atmosphere of “Weird Twitter” here. I cannot stress enough that you should read his blog post- he has a way with words and he’s also very funny. A couple of days ago, I was texting a friend that I first met through meetups with people from Twitter (or, if you want to use the bad portmanteau, I met him through “tweetups”). He told me that no one he knew had a problem with me until I started getting angry about some people on Twitter. Frankly, simply being a part of this circle of people makes me angry, and all the reasons about why Cliff left Twitter apply to me as well. I’ve quit being a regular part of a few websites in the past because they stopped being enjoyable. For that reason, I finally know that leaving Twitter would be my best course of action.

Don’t worry- this is not goodbye. I won’t be tweeting, but I will keep my account open so that I can leave this note pinned on my page. I really do like many of you, but I don’t feel like alienating any more people than I already have, so I can’t talk to you here. You can find me on Facebook, Skype, or Google Hangouts- just send me a Twitter DM and I’ll give you my information. And please, try to start being nice to each other- I know a lot of you are good people. “Tane” care!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tane care

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Tane"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
was that longpost from the beer idiot on twitter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the real winner in the console wars is us, the players, for getting such great games out of the intense competition.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bicyclops posted:

the real winner in the console wars is us, the players, for getting such great games out of the intense competition.

lol if you dont think the stiff competition encourages game devs to play safe and make mediocre game turds instead of making great game imagine if you will
one console... plays all teh games
<------------me pointing to my loving computer lmfao gaaaaaaahaHHahAHAHhahahAHAHhahaAH

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

starbarry clock posted:

lol if you dont think the stiff competition encourages game devs to play safe and make mediocre game turds instead of making great game imagine if you will
<------------me pointing to my loving computer lmfao gaaaaaaahaHHahAHAHhahahAHAHhahaAH

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

The Tyler Durden of the Imp Zone.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
mlyp

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starbarry clock posted:

the computer as well contains many great games, making us, sitting at our keyboards, the truest of winners.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Some PS3 gamers playing epic PS3 games like Heavy Rain and Metal Gear Solid 4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chubby Rain

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unguided posted:

Chubby Rain
The freaking popular Bowfinger references meme!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Proud ex-Twitter user Cliff Vickrey

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heavy Rain was good.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Black Baby Goku posted:

Heavy Rain was good.

yeah it sure was pffttt

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

The Freaking Clock Crew!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Heavy Rain was good.

Never played it. Fahrenheit whatever is on my Steam wish list though.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

The Freaking Clock Crew!!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea