Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I can hear it whining from here. :colbert:

I knew the gays had super powers.

Went to the dump with it today and payed attention. Between the exhaust and radio you cannot hear the power steering pump, it does not make a lot of noise. I'm surprised now that I payed attention to it, my dad's '97 was much louder.

I need to figure out why the transfer case will on go into 4-High, refuses to move into neutral or 4-Low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I can hear it whining from here. :colbert:

That's just the sound of me expressing my jealousy at such a fantastic automobile.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Free vehicles are the best. My second shitbox has arrived.

This thing has been in my family since my dad bought it new. It was one of the first vehicles I ever drove. I've borrowed it on and off for years and it's seen much abuse. It's time to give a little back to it.

99 F-150 4x4 with a tow package and a 4.6. Newly rebuilt transmission with a shift kit of some kind, and a fresh rear end.

Motor is likely not that hot, it's been pissing 2+ quarts out a day from in between the head and the block on the pass side for months. Cyl #4 is misfiring.

Rockers are shot from my brother wedging it down tight trails to get to his fishing and hunting spots. The bed has a nice dent in it that I should be able to pop out as well.

I'm likely going to pick up a 4.6 or 5.4 to refresh from our local pick and pull for $200 and toss it in.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 21, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

Rockers are shot from my brother wedging it down tight trails to get to his fishing and hunting spots. The bed has a nice dent in it that I should be able to pop out as well.

Never pull a dent that has been earned. It's disrespectful.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Can the 4.6 computer run the 5.4? does the 4.6 have retarded cam phasers like the 5.4? I HATE the 5.4 in both of the F250's we've had.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How many free exhaust manifold leaks did you get with your free truck?

A free truck is a free truck, good catch.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

Can the 4.6 computer run the 5.4? does the 4.6 have retarded cam phasers like the 5.4? I HATE the 5.4 in both of the F250's we've had.

Yeah the 4.6 computer can run the 5.4, you just use the 4.6 ignition bits. The cam phasers were on the 3v motors as far as I know, the 2v motors don't have any kind of VVT. The 2v 5.4's are halfway decent as long as you're aware of the spark plug issues.

kastein posted:

How many free exhaust manifold leaks did you get with your free truck?

A free truck is a free truck, good catch.

All the exhaust manifold leaks. All of them.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Jesus, thing runs fine except for a tiny misfire and the oil leak. My brother was way too skittish over this thing.

In news nobody is surprised to hear, it sounds sick with the glasspack my brother tossed on.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Noise Complaint posted:

Noise Complaint posted:

In news nobody is surprised to hear, it sounds sick with the glasspack my brother tossed on.
These two things don't go together unless your brother doesn't actually care about coming home with anything besides dents from his hunting trips.

Nice score, I'm always surprised by how fearful of older (and '99 isn't in my definition of "old") vehicles so many people are. When I told people I was shopping for a mid/late 90's truck for my summer in Alberta, I heard "Oh, you mean old" many, many times.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I'm going to have an update post a bit later but I wanted to comment on how weird it is to clean out all the poo poo in a vehicle that's been in your family for 15 years. I've done it dozens of times with used cars from other people but this one has me on a serious nostalgia trip. Notes to my family's mechanic of nearly 40 years who recently passed away, receipts from vacations a decade ago, bits and pieces that bring back strong memories. It's funny how a car or truck just collects those kind of things and how it can make even a shitbox rusty Ford into something that means a lot more.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Checked all the plugs, every single one of them was drenched in oil and the wells were filled with it. Cleaning all of that up didn't fix the misfire, sadly.

I'm not sure if just the valve cover gaskets could account for the extreme oil leakage this thing is seeing, but I'm going to at least give the motor a proper leakdown test before I rip it out.

Also, gently caress the rear plugs in this thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Drive it over on Friday if youre gonna come out and bring some engine cleaner and we can blast it off with my crispy new power washer. We can do the Camaro and Jetta too finally.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

Drive it over on Friday if youre gonna come out and bring some engine cleaner and we can blast it off with my crispy new power washer. We can do the Camaro and Jetta too finally.

You got it. That sounds like fun!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fart Pipe posted:

When you do something like that, what does it entail? You can't just go at the bay with a hose because of electrical components. Just cover those and spray?

I'm sure it's a stupid question, don't mock me too much

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Generally you cover anything electronic with plastic, use some really good engine cleaner like purple power, let it soak and be careful with the hose. You can use an air compressor to get rid of standing water. Honestly the 4.6 isn't the best candidate in the world for washing with the way the ignition is but I'm looking forward to blasting years of grime off of the Camaro sitting in Fart Pipe's yard. That should be pretty cathartic.

ACEofsnett and I were looking at the truck last night and discovered substantial coolant leaks as well as oil leaking out of pretty much every major seal, so it looks like I'm starting an engine swap project this weekend. Sigh.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 24, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Come to Sams tomorrow morning and get a motor :v:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

drat babby animals delaying automotive repair.

Our new baby AT-AT walker was born on Saturday, name TBD. It's a girl.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Finally. I can get the Bronco back on the road. Bronco Graveyard is awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats a good lookin shaft

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

loving hell that's clean.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Put a lot of work in yesterday on the Bronco. Put the driveshaft together with the pinion flange adapter kastein had sitting around. The 8.8 that was swapped in had a pinon flange vs. the pinion yoke the original axle had. I had to use a combination 1330f/1330 u-joint for it to fit but it should be fine.

New hotness next to old and busted.

Installed using the flange.

I was also able to rescue the R-ABS wiring. the rear ABS is pretty useless in these but I like fixing things that'll shut a light on the dash off.

I bent and installed all new brake lines in the rear, where Ford has decided that the distribution block should use two different size brake line fittings. Slapped the drums back together with new hardware also.

At this point, I just have some cleaning up to do once I get outside today, but the Bronco should be going this afternoon. Which is great, because I blew the Dana 35 in the back of the WJ up on Friday.

Edit for Doge Content:

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Finally got this rusty bitch back on the road. I just need to bleed the brakes tomorrow. The last few days have been a domino effect of split brake lines causing me to nearly pull my hair out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Please tell me you're using Cunifer, it's so much easier to deal with.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Please tell me you're using Cunifer, it's so much easier to deal with.

I'm using whatever they sell at NAPA with the intention of swapping it out for a full stainless kit from Bronco Graveyard later down the line.

I have a brake bleeder in the front so stuck that even heat wouldn't get it out, so I'm going to be swapping the front calipers (under $20 each, haha) out whenever it stops raining. I was hoping to wait until I could assemble a full Thunderbird caliper swap, but eh, it's more important to me to get this thing going than it is to upgrade at the moment.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
They sell Cunifer at Napa, but you have to ask for it. I'm really not a fan of SS Lines, they don't rust, but they're a nightmare to deal with if you have to bend them at all. They also like to eat the seats of calipers and/or fittings.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

They sell Cunifer at Napa, but you have to ask for it. I'm really not a fan of SS Lines, they don't rust, but they're a nightmare to deal with if you have to bend them at all. They also like to eat the seats of calipers and/or fittings.

I'll have to bend a set using the Cunifer stuff then for sure. Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably going to wind up redoing the brakes with heavier duty stuff eventually anyway. I'd love to toss a Dana 60 and a Sterling 10.25 under there with all F-250 bits eventually. Honestly right now, besides fixing rotted poo poo, I was mostly concerned with getting rid of compression fittings the PO hamfucked his way into the brake system.

In other news, the core charge for the calipers I bought was double what the drat price of the calipers is. :wtc: NAPA

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Noise Complaint posted:

I'll have to bend a set using the Cunifer stuff then for sure. Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably going to wind up redoing the brakes with heavier duty stuff eventually anyway. I'd love to toss a Dana 60 and a Sterling 10.25 under there with all F-250 bits eventually. Honestly right now, besides fixing rotted poo poo, I was mostly concerned with getting rid of compression fittings the PO hamfucked his way into the brake system.

In other news, the core charge for the calipers I bought was double what the drat price of the calipers is. :wtc: NAPA

My favorite is that there's no way for them to know what calipers are being returned, so you could put anything you wanted in the box and get your $40 core. I had to do the same thing when I worked at AutoZone. We sold a guy a set of 300ZX calipers, which were dual-piston and had a very high core charge. He brought back some calipers that looked like the rears from a B3 Passat, these tiny single-piston horribly-rusted things dripping brake fluid. Of course, he got his $120 core charge back... no idea how corporate handles things like that.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Either they give no fucks or it comes off the store's PnL/bottom line.

But like you said, you can't really tell what should be in the box and most of us don't care either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Noise Complaint posted:

ACEofsnett and I were looking at the truck last night and discovered substantial coolant leaks as well as oil leaking out of pretty much every major seal, so it looks like I'm starting an engine swap project this weekend. Sigh.

Any chance it's leaking coolant from the thermostat housing area? Or the intake in general?

The 4.6 and 5.4 both have plastic intake manifolds, and they tend to crack. Causes a lean condition (tripping the CEL), eventually a misfire or two, and also causes a coolant leak. Dorman makes a much beefier replacement.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Any chance it's leaking coolant from the thermostat housing area? Or the intake in general?

The 4.6 and 5.4 both have plastic intake manifolds, and they tend to crack. Causes a lean condition (tripping the CEL), eventually a misfire or two, and also causes a coolant leak. Dorman makes a much beefier replacement.

The 99 4.6 has a metal intake manifold actually. There's so many leaks it doesn't matter at this point. The thing drains the oil out in a few weeks of sitting and pisses coolant like a race horse once it heats up. New motor it is.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Replaced the front calipers and pads today because I didn't feel like fighting with the crusty bleeders on the old janky looking calipers. I love replacing these calipers held on with the hammer through pins. It's cathartic to hammer that poo poo through. Bang, bang, bang, TINK.

First, a little refreshment to help me along. Love these Goose Island tallboys. Every beer should come in tallboys.

Old nasty caliper

New caliper

I wound up replacing both front calipers. I was going to pick up rotors but these have plenty of meat on them. It's a lovely old truck and pads are like 10 bucks, so I'm not that concerned about the surface rust from sitting.

I drove it down to the gas station and filled the tank. 30 gallons of gas the thing took. It drives like a dream.. or as close to a dream an old truck can possibly get. Steering is great, the new shocks and leaf pack are excellent and really cut down on the filling-rattling when you hit a bump. Hell, it almost rides like a big wallowy Buick at this point. My only complaint right now is a vibration from the rear between 10 and 30 mph. I think it's likely it's from the tires sitting for so long, but I'll investigate further later on.

Tomorrow: Top off, cruising to work. Friday: Adjusting the kickdown linkage on the C6 so its a bit more responsive.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

And... made it to work with the Bronco. The farthest it's gone in nearly a year.. Even hit 50 at one point. Low speed shimmy seems to be going away .

Top is off, perfect weather for it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Fart Pipe and I took the Bronco out through some mud on Friday night during our weekly NEAI get together. The thing is a blast and has no problem crawling through all sorts of sticky stuff.

The transmission is starting to shift more firmly and it turned out I didn't need to adjust the kickdown linkage after all. The C6 is a stout little transmission, that's for sure.

I wired up some KC spotlights I had floating around and bolted them to the front bumper for a little extra light output on the back roads. I have a pair of LED lights as well I'm going to put on as soon as I can make some brackets for them.

I finally got a muffler on the thing so my neighbors will be happier. It's just a Cherry Bomb but it's quieter for the time being and doesn't exit directly under the pass. side door anymore. I still have a pretty bad exhaust leak coming from either the manifolds or the Y-pipe directly under them. I haven't investigated that quite yet. Still sounds awesome, though.

Found a CB radio that I had bought at the junkyard years back and bolted that in, too. I just need a microphone and an antenna for it.

I also flushed the rear end in the WJ hoping it will fix the rear end vibration, the u-joints and driveshaft all seem fine and I pulled the front driveshaft to rule that out. I'll drive it this evening and see if it's any better. If not I'm going to replace all the u-joints anyway and see if that helps.

Edit: I also meant to link this gigantic diagram infodump I found on FSB. Fantastic amount of info for OBS Ford Trucks and Broncos.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12671#content

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 17, 2015

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Welp, 31's fit on a stock WJ.

It needed new tires for the winter and I misjudged the metric tire sizes and wound up buying 255/75/16's which are just above 31 inches. Looks like a lift will be in the near future.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I installed the same tires on my WJ and it instantly made the car ride higher then the mismatched bunch it had before. It also let my wife see how a lift wouldn't be that hard to deal with. The only problem is most lift kits for WJ's have a bunch of poo poo reviews.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So... collecting parts for an 8.25/8.8 swap immediately, or waiting till the axle explodes? :ghost:

Looks a lot better, though.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I have a 2" lift bought from Kolak installed on my WJ a little over a year ago along with an Addco rear sway bar and Bilstein 5100s and the only real regret I have is not going with 3". :shrug:

Ride is much improved and I've noticed that this year I didn't have as much trouble in the deeper snows.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

kastein posted:

So... collecting parts for an 8.25/8.8 swap immediately, or waiting till the axle explodes? :ghost:

Looks a lot better, though.

I just serviced the rear axle and it was in seriously perfect shape so that crosses that off on my list of what's causing the howling/vibration. I'm going to be replacing every u-joint and flushing the transmission, t-case, and front diff after NEAI.

I'm going to look into the Old Man Emu lift and shocks since I need some soon anyway.

My main goal right now is to turn the Bronco into a rig I can camp out of at NEAI for the next few days. This will be interesting.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Bumping this thread so it doesn't fall into the archives since I've done a massive amount of work and I'm doing quite a bit more before winter. I plan on posting some wheeling pics as well.

The WJ is about to have a 2.5 inch budget boost. I also swapped factory navigation and the Infinity sound system into it along with changing the pinion seal, nut, and yoke and replacing all U-joints in the loving thing. I also have a light bar to install to help my fiance get to the place she boards her horse at since it's deep into the woods.

I fixed the 4wd In the Bronco and I'm about to build a massive winch bumper for it. I have headers to slap on along with some other "go fast" bits and some aux lighting improvement to help with the winter.

Not that anyone cares about my shitboxes except for ssswitch and kastein but hey, I enjoy posting about them. :-P

If anyone in the New England area want's to come for a ride along if they've never been wheeling before, let me know, I'd love to have some new potential NEAI guys down for a day of fun, food, four wheeling, and potentially catastrophic mechanical failure.

Pictures and writeups to come very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So no more 3WD? :v:

• Locked thread