Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Like I said, if you're a fan it's totally worth doing as strictly an online single player RPG that just happens to use an MMO quest format(kill 20 bears, orcs, trolls, etc). It's the ultimate in masturbatory fan-service if you approach it from the right angle. Places like Moria, Rivendell and The Shire are as well done(if not better) as a Tolkien fan could imagine.

There used to be a bunch of high quality raids/instances, but some suit decided that making those wasn't cost effective...And essentially killed the game as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Eve Online with Goons is not bad. They don't have a huge tolerance for drama and people get shot in the head/thrown out of the group for kicking up poo poo, and they give you a stable platform to get the most out of the game, which is good because going out on your own in Eve is a one way ticket to the painful boredom express.

You can play for free for 14 days, and there's a non-zero chance goons will dump enough isk on you in your early days that you'll be able to get another 30 days and a full account out of it for free.

That said, Eve is very much love or hate, but if you haven't tried it there's no reason not to. Just don't offer to be Space Important or do anything that obligates you to the entertainment of hundreds of others because that seems terrible and a lot of people who do, burn out bitterly sooner or later.

I picked up EVE 4 years ago and its been my main MMO ever since. Its also a good secondary game because all your poo poo still trains while you're offline and thanks to jabber services you can get notifications when "exciting thing that you want to log in for" is happening.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The Moon Monster posted:

Everything I've heard about that game lately makes it sound like it's dying/dead. Now I'm kind of sad I never gave it a try because a well done Middle Earth with have been pretty cool.

2015, feature wise at least, has been good to the game. We got a new region with new dungeons, nice QOL updates keep coming in, the new legendary system is more like what it should have been when Moria launched, and there's even new PvMP coming later.

The big thing is server transfers later this year - they're finally reducing servers and merging, and it'll breathe some life back into it. Several goons are waiting until this to check out the new content the past year.

LOTRO is waaaaaay past its hayday though, no doubt, but still wanted to give credit where it's due. Supposedly Turbine has the license until 2017, and they're currently bee-lining to Mordor. We all kinda expect after that, the game might shut down, but as Brave New World said - the game is an excellent representation of Middle Earth and if you dig on Tolkien at all, you should definitely join in on this single player MMO while you can and see a bit of the world. You can play until level 20-30 or so without dropping a dime to see if you want to put some cash into it for later content zones.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Brave New World posted:

There used to be a bunch of high quality raids/instances, but some suit decided that making those wasn't cost effective...And essentially killed the game as a result.

Can you no longer do things like Great Barrow, Garth Agarwen, Rift, Helegrod, the Mines of Moria instances, etc? LoTRO is (was?) to me the pinnacle of well done traditional open world MMO if you have a few people to go exploring with and do all the dungeon content at a casual pace. The game is just so chock full of interesting instanced content plus a neat main story arc.

I would absolutely kill to play through the entirety of LoTRO's instance/dungeon content with a full group of people.

e: Seems they've scaled all the raids in the game to 12 people which is neat as gently caress.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2015

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Extra posted:

Can you no longer do things like Great Barrow, Garth Agarwen, Rift, Helegrod, the Mines of Moria instances, etc? LoTRO is (was?) to me the pinnacle of well done traditional open world MMO if you have a few people to go exploring with and do all the dungeon content at a casual pace. The game is just so chock full of interesting instanced content plus a neat main story arc.

I would absolutely kill to play through the entirety of LoTRO's instance/dungeon content with a full group of people.

e: Seems they've scaled all the raids in the game to 12 people which is neat as gently caress.

Nah, all the old content is still there. Many of them scale up (unfortunately, the moria dungeons don't, pretty sure). But they quit doing any NEW classic-style raids, and no new dungeon instances for years until this latest content patch. Instead we got Epic/Big Battles which was the new group content, which had mixed reception (although the Pelagrir BB 6/12 man seems to have went over a lot better).

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Harrow posted:

What do you generally like in a class in other games? You might be able to find it in a GW2 class with a specific weapon combination--or maybe not.

Actually cant really answer that, and I've tried all the class/weaps in Spvp. I have to feel a "click" or something. The necro longsword looks like it might be my bag when HoT kicks in.

As for EVE - that training/levelling thing while offline sounds cool.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ChickenWyngz posted:

Actually cant really answer that, and I've tried all the class/weaps in Spvp. I have to feel a "click" or something. The necro longsword looks like it might be my bag when HoT kicks in.

As for EVE - that training/levelling thing while offline sounds cool.

Do you want a referral code? I get a free month for it if you actually subscribe, so if you do this I'll throw you a bunch of in game monies and ships to play with. :v: Hell I'll give you some ships and monies even if you don't actually subscribe (just not as much as I will be able to afford to throw at you if you do).

If you decide to do this, here's my referral code: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=df2bc082-3e0e-48b9-b6b4-d326dc308322&action=buddy

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
don't play eve unless you want to play alongside people who believe in goon purity and doxxing for the greater good

or if you want to play an actual game

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Play Eve, join miniluv. There is no better fun to be had in an mmo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Skyforge goes free tomorrow, I think, and it's a lot of fun.
It plays like a sci-fi Vindictus if you took out all the anime and put in hover bikes.

No time for more games but this sounds interesting. Is there a SA thread for it yet? I read a review and checked the main site but not totally sure how it plays.

Edit: Found it.

Alder fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 21, 2015

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

ModeSix posted:

Do you want a referral code? I get a free month for it if you actually subscribe, so if you do this I'll throw you a bunch of in game monies and ships to play with. :v: Hell I'll give you some ships and monies even if you don't actually subscribe (just not as much as I will be able to afford to throw at you if you do).

If you decide to do this, here's my referral code: https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=df2bc082-3e0e-48b9-b6b4-d326dc308322&action=buddy

Thank you for the refferal! Works left me kinda run down lately (training a new team) so I'm backburnering the MMO thing for a few days until I can sit down in peace for more then 15 minutes :)

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

ChickenWyngz posted:

Thank you for the refferal! Works left me kinda run down lately (training a new team) so I'm backburnering the MMO thing for a few days until I can sit down in peace for more then 15 minutes :)

Well let me know if you do pop that referral and I'll throw a bunch of goodies your way.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Inzombiac posted:

Every night I pray for a DDO sequel in a modern engine.

That and a Shadowrun action RPG where jobs are set up like Vindictus or Skyforge. I just want to send out an army of drones while floating around in my enchanted jorts.

Isn't firefall kinda like that?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Danith posted:

Isn't firefall kinda like that?

...maybe? No?
I want to pre-plan heists and case the joint. Make sure everyone has a role. I'll sweet-talk the guard while you hack the terminal and the other guy is on top of the adjacent building with a big rifle making sure we have a way out.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

...maybe? No?
I want to pre-plan heists and case the joint. Make sure everyone has a role. I'll sweet-talk the guard while you hack the terminal and the other guy is on top of the adjacent building with a big rifle making sure we have a way out.

It sounds like you want to play Payday 2 instead of an mmo.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

...maybe? No?

City of Heroes was actually doing something like this near the end, and it was really fun.

gently caress NCsoft with a chainsaw

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Extra posted:

Yep you can still run everything and the free transfers mentioned are supposed to be at the tail end of summer, the new PVP (PVMP) map mentioned above is now in the game, 16.2 is live.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brave New World posted:

City of Heroes was actually doing something like this near the end, and it was really fun.

gently caress NCsoft with a chainsaw

You could just update that game to a new engine and I would die at my desk. I spent, what, eight years in that game?
At least two of them were meticulously placing everything in my SG base to make it look like a night club.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm assuming you're looking for something different, but anything that does those things differently aren't finished yet (in case EVE/Elite Dangeorus don't interest you)

Honestly I'd just wait until the end of the year or early next year. Black Desert Online is coming to the US, Albion should release this year, The Repopulation is going into soft launch, Shroud of the Avatar should release in December and Shards Online will be in 24/7 testing.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm assuming you're looking for something different, but anything that does those things differently aren't finished yet (in case EVE/Elite Dangeorus don't interest you)

Honestly I'd just wait until the end of the year or early next year. Black Desert Online is coming to the US, Albion should release this year, The Repopulation is going into soft launch, Shroud of the Avatar should release in December and Shards Online will be in 24/7 testing.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
BDO is meh, but out of the rest, one is bound to be good. I'm banking on The Repopulation mostly since I was a Pre-CU SWG fan and this might as well be Galaxies 2.0 without the Star Wars license. Project Gorgon just hit Kickstarter (and they're not wiping characters so you can play now) and that's pretty good even if it's a little rough looking which is excusable given their circumstances.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo

That Revival game will be pretty entertaining too if it isn't just the delusions of a bunch of game designers on crack. Moonlight Blade is "touring" the US soon looking for publishers so that's another possibility. There's a lot of cool stuff on the horizon that isn't just the same poo poo, I just can't think of anything that's AAA and exciting at the moment, it's all coming out of crowdfunding.

• Locked thread