Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ok, long story short, my best friend cheated on his wife and has been kicked out of his house. He had to move in with his parents, who don't have the room for all of his aquarium/fish tank things. I'm the only one thats close that owns my own place and actually has enough room, so I figured I would help him out (his wife said the fish have to go).

Things were going pretty well I guess, he gave me a basic run down on how to feed the fish and some maintenance type stuff. Fast forward a few weeks. Two of my cats seemed to get in cahoots with the dog and were trying to mess with one of the tanks, which resulted in a bit of a mess, but thankfully (from what I could see, no injured fish).

I've somewhat lost contact with my friend (he's not dead or anything) but he is obviously going through some stuff. The amount of fish tank things I have is starting to cause a bit of discomfort. When I have parties often I'll see people loving with the tanks. One morning I woke up to a KFC drumstick bone in one of them. I dealt with this for about another month.

Finally I decided that maybe some consolidation would ease the situation, and really, this is where I feel like I should have come here first. Part of the reason I tried to reach out to the kid was because I wanted to know exactly what I was dealing with for fish species here. Most of them are pretty colorful and pretty, and some even look like the same type/species, so I decided to basically divide it up by that.

What in the blue gently caress do I have for fish here. I did this over the weekend and I already have like 4 dead and disgusting looking fish corpses. I took pictures on my DSLR but it is at home and I am currently on my lunch break.

I hate to use the word segregate but god drat is there any intelligent way I can segregate these things so they stop dying now? I was more afraid of them reproducing, it didn't even occur to me that it would go the other way

Thanks, and sorry for the long post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
can you give us some more information on the type of fish maybe? fresh water vs salt water could be a BIG thing in this situation

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

It's very possible that the cats harassing the fish could have stressed the fish out and caused them to die. I'm not sure there's really a problem here, except that you need to keep your cats in a separate room from the fish. Fish are extremely sensitive to the kind of emotional stress you described in the original post.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
:siren: UPDATE :siren:

Forgot to post the pictures because of all the bullshit thats been happening. After I got home from work most of the bigger fish were dead. I called my friend's parent's house and talked to his mom who said she figured he didn't really care anymore because he's basically just going to work and then locking himself in his room.

I ended up putting the tanks and remaining fish with a buy it all or dont bother sending a response type thing on craigslist. Sold it to some kid and came out of this with some bar money for the weekend.

My friend calls me today and says that despite ignoring my attempts to get in touch with him he really did wanna keep it all and I basically told him, in more polite terms given our relationship, to go eff himself.

• Locked thread