Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Didn't see a thread for this so I'm making one.

So wikileaks just released secret documents regarding the negotiation of the Trade In Services Agreement treaty, available here: https://wikileaks.org/tisa/

quote:

WikiLeaks releases today 17 secret documents from the ongoing TISA (Trade In Services Agreement) negotiations which cover the United States, the European Union and 23 other countries including Turkey, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Pakistan, Taiwan & Israel -- which together comprise two-thirds of global GDP. "Services" now account for nearly 80 per cent of the US and EU economies and even in developing countries like Pakistan account for 53 per cent of the economy. While the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) has become well known in recent months in the United States, the TISA is the larger component of the strategic TPP-TISA-TTIP 'T-treaty trinity'. All parts of the trinity notably exclude the 'BRICS' countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

The release coincides with TISA meetings at the ministerial level at the OECD in Paris today (3–5 June). The 'T-treaty trinity' of TPP-TISA-TTIP is also under consideration for collective 'Fast-Track' authority in Congress this month.

The TISA release today follows the WikiLeaks publication of the secret draft financial services annex of the TISA negotiations on 19 June 2014 showing the aim to further deregulate the financial sector, despite widespread consensus that lack of oversight and regulation was the main cause of the last global financial crisis of 2008. Today's release confirms the ongoing determination to deregulate. Furthermore, standstill clauses will tie the hands of future governments to implement changes in response to changing environment.

Today's release is the largest on secret TISA documents and covers numerous previously undisclosed areas. It contains drafts and annexes on issues such as air traffic, maritime, professional services, e-commerce, delivery services, transparency, domestic regulation, as well as several document on the positions of negotiating parties. WikiLeaks has also published detailed expert analysis of the topics covered in today's release.

Ars technica has a good article up on it: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/wikileaks-releases-secret-tisa-docs-the-more-evil-sibling-of-ttip-and-tpp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Probably a dumb question, but I wonder how the US government hasn't managed to shut down Wikileaks yet.

E: yes, Assange is under the protection of Ecuador, but I don't see why he can't be cut off from sources.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

It's not like anything they have revealed has actually hurt the US government, and everyone has already forgotten about the stuff they revealed anyways.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Booourns posted:

everyone has already forgotten about the stuff they revealed anyways.
Look, everyone! Caitlyn Jenner!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Wikiwho?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Probably a dumb question, but I wonder how the US government hasn't managed to shut down Wikileaks yet.

E: yes, Assange is under the protection of Ecuador, but I don't see why he can't be cut off from sources.
I thought he left Wikileaks some years ago, and that they were all too eager to distant themselves from him after the rape charges.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rorus Raz posted:

I thought he left Wikileaks some years ago, and that they were all too eager to distant themselves from him after the rape charges.

Yeah, and even when he was there, it's not like he was the guy who got all the leaks himself.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So if TPA is passed the President could be presenting TPP, TTIP, and TISA for a yes/no vote in Congress?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

So if TPA is passed the President could be presenting TPP, TTIP, and TISA for a yes/no vote in Congress?

Yes, but again it would be with the treaties being made public in full before they're to be voted upon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

Don't forget the TITS.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This part doesn't make sense:

quote:

Article 6 of the leaked text seems to ban any country from using free software mandates: "No Party may require the transfer of, or access to, source code of software owned by a person of another Party, as a condition of providing services related to such software in its territory." The text goes on to specify that this only applies to "mass-market software," and does not apply to software used for critical infrastructure.

It would still prevent a European government from specifying that its civil servants should use only open-source code for word processing

Yes, in theory it can prevent a European law from requiring open source software, but that's if the law is written as "you shall not use any software except ones designated open source", instead of "You shall use software X, Y, and Z, which also happen to be open source". The latter is how any sane policy would be written because open source is a catch-all term for a bunch of stuff that doesn't talk to each other that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
There was a thread where everyone had strong opinions about this not yet existing treaty already.

• Locked thread