Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.
Hey folks. For the majority of you who don't know me, I'm Ian and I used to help out around here.

These days, I'm launching a new startup that AI readers might appreciate: Joule turns car ownership into a service. Think Netflix DVD for cars. We take care of all of the maintenance, insurance, licensing, etc, and all you do is drive. If you've checked out a Prius from us but need a pickup truck, open your smartphone and summon a replacement. Depending on where you are, your car can be swapped in under an hour. Imagine driving to Ikea in a compact car and having it swapped for a Sprinter while you shop! Best of all, it costs about the same as what you're paying today to keep your car on the road--often even less. Plus, now you can sell that spare car or truck and just have one ride in your driveway.

That's nice. Why do I care?
If you're in Seattle, you can join our pilot! We're shaving $200/mo off during the pilot for people who sign up now. Imagine if your bank said they'd shave $200 off your car payment each month just for participating in a beta.

More generally, I'm looking for people to take this quick survey about spare vehicles. If you have a minute, we'd love to get your feedback.

If you have any questions about Joule, I'm happy to answer them!

isnoop fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Will you deliver a vehicle to Ohio for me to drive? Or at least send me some swag?

Also, you misspelled your link:

isnoop posted:

That's nice. Why do I care?
If you're in Seattle, you can join our pilot! We're shaving $200/mo off during the pilot for people who sign up now. Imagine if your bank said they'd shave $200 off your car payment each month just for participating in a beta.

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.

meatpimp posted:

Will you deliver a vehicle to Ohio for me to drive? Or at least send me some swag?

Also, you misspelled your link:

Doh! Thanks for the link check!
We'll be nationwide before long. We don't have any swag just yet, but we will in a month or two. I should do a little giveaway!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
This is interesting, but the FAQ doesn't really address fun car availability and mentioning a prius as an example just makes me think this is more for people looking for driving appliances than something I'd want to drive. I filled out your survey though since I'm in your area of coverage. Good luck!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will there be Miata's? There had better be Miata's.

Best of luck!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yeah, I hope that you'll offer "fun" cars to people who are into cars. V8 Mustang GT to Ikea, and then swap it out for a Sprinter Van.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did I miss the actual monthly cost somewhere? Or is just based loosely on what you are currently driving?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Obviously not all cars are going to cost the same. I don't see how this could be cheaper than just leasing a car unless you have 10 dui and can't get insurance or have terrible credit. I could see this working as a premium service but it would have to cost the price of two leases per month so there is good inventory of AMGs and M3s available. Probably going to be a lot of Nissan Versas.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
How do you handle insurance? The same way a rental place would insure their fleet?

edit: took the survey

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Did I miss the actual monthly cost somewhere? Or is just based loosely on what you are currently driving?

In the faq, it uses the prius as an example with an estimated cost of $450 monthly plus insurance. A lease straight from toyota is $209 a month/24 months with $2400 down, 12000 miles a year with 2 years/25,000 free maintenance, so $309 a month plus whatever tags are. 2 years saving $150 a month could buy and maintain a decent used truck if that's something you need.

I would imagine the target audience is somebody wealthy and lazy who doesn't like cars but is "too good" for public transit, so pretty much everybody in seattle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crap. Thought this was the general chat thread. Deleted.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 5, 2015

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Filled out your survey but it isn't terribly AI as you probably know. Personally I think it's an interesting idea for ride sharing but the cost is more than my current car payment on a car I like, not a prius. Do you have an estimate on what the Tesla would be monthly or a cost schedule on any fun cars you might be "sharing"?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I'm helping :downs:

I feel like having AI fill out your survey will skew the results.

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.
Thanks for the great questions!

Mat_Drinks posted:

This is interesting, but the FAQ doesn't really address fun car availability and mentioning a prius as an example just makes me think this is more for people looking for driving appliances than something I'd want to drive. I filled out your survey though since I'm in your area of coverage. Good luck!
Good point. Car availability is market-specific and based almost entirely on customer demand. In the Seattle area, I know I'll be able to put Teslas on the line and get them checked out all the time. In Minneapolis, they may prefer AWD Audis. In any case, we intend to cover the fun and luxury car aspects as much as the market will bear.

Ziploc posted:

This page isn't linked from the main site, but here's a more thorough breakdown. It'll be more prominent once we re-crunch those numbers using the same base model price as other parts of the site.

Maksimus54 posted:

Filled out your survey but it isn't terribly AI as you probably know. Personally I think it's an interesting idea for ride sharing but the cost is more than my current car payment on a car I like, not a prius. Do you have an estimate on what the Tesla would be monthly or a cost schedule on any fun cars you might be "sharing"?
I know coming in here is like telling a film aficionado about Netflix, but the AI crowd is definitely a market I want to consider. I expect the majority of you would have a spare custom car or two on the side. I'm very interested in measuring the reception from a bunch of folks who are perfectly happy to change their own plugs and oil.

CornHolio posted:

How do you handle insurance? The same way a rental place would insure their fleet?
Similar, yes. We're working with different providers to offer a more consumer-friendly approach though.

Elephanthead posted:

Obviously not all cars are going to cost the same. I don't see how this could be cheaper than just leasing a car unless you have 10 dui and can't get insurance or have terrible credit. I could see this working as a premium service but it would have to cost the price of two leases per month so there is good inventory of AMGs and M3s available. Probably going to be a lot of Nissan Versas.
It's about the same price as leasing after you account for insurance. However, the added value of the vehicle swaps and the fact that you can check out a vehicle from us, keep it for a month, and then tell us to come take it away and never speak to you again is something you don't see in typical lease paperwork. We are able to keep the price right in line with leasing because there are a few tricks a fleet operator can use to lower their costs which an individual buyer cannot.

Powershift posted:

In the faq, it uses the prius as an example with an estimated cost of $450 monthly plus insurance. A lease straight from toyota is $209 a month/24 months with $2400 down, 12000 miles a year with 2 years/25,000 free maintenance, so $309 a month plus whatever tags are. 2 years saving $150 a month could buy and maintain a decent used truck if that's something you need.

I would imagine the target audience is somebody wealthy and lazy who doesn't like cars but is "too good" for public transit, so pretty much everybody in seattle.
Joule's $450 includes insurance. The lease offer Toyota has for this same vehicle (in my market) is $249 per month for 24 mo plus $1017 at signing. Tack on the $158 Edmunds says you'll be paying for insurance and your lease cost is $449/mo for a single vehicle you are locked into and can't drive more than 12K miles per year. Joule does not cap your miles.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

quote:

Joule's $450 includes insurance. The lease offer Toyota has for this same vehicle (in my market) is $249 per month for 24 mo plus $1017 at signing. Tack on the $158 Edmunds says you'll be paying for insurance and your lease cost is $449/mo for a single vehicle you are locked into and can't drive more than 12K miles per year. Joule does not cap your miles.

Per your site it does not include the insurance. You might want to change that

e. Not trying to be a dick, it is an interesting idea and I can see taking advantage of it if I needed a long time loaner car

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 5, 2015

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.

Maksimus54 posted:

Per your site it does not include the insurance. You might want to change that

e. Not trying to be a dick, it is an interesting idea and I can see taking advantage of it if I needed a long time loaner car
No worries. I found the line you're referring to and I will have it cleared up. It should read "As an example, a 2015 Prius has a base monthly cost of approximately $450 including one month's worth of insurance."
Startup life. So many things to do, so little time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Insurance in and unlimited mileage makes the math work for the customer, i can't imagine how much meat is left on the bone for you though. Is there an added cost to using non-prius vehicles? like say your regular vehicle is a prius and you need a pickup for 3 days. is your monthly cost increased based on the value of the pick-up?

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.

Powershift posted:

Insurance in and unlimited mileage makes the math work for the customer, i can't imagine how much meat is left on the bone for you though. Is there an added cost to using non-prius vehicles? like say your regular vehicle is a prius and you need a pickup for 3 days. is your monthly cost increased based on the value of the pick-up?
Let's say the daily incremental rate for the Prius we've been talking about is $15. The pickup value varies, but let's pick a F250 at $22/day. At the end of the month, you end up paying the sum of all the daily rates you accrued, so:
$15 * 27 Prius days
+ $22 * 3 F250 days
= $471 for the month

Remember that these prices vary from person to person, but they are pretty close to what any of us would pay.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is certainly an interesting idea, but I can see from here a couple of potential problems.

First of all, I have worked in corporate aviation and in a fractional ownership operation, and I can tell you that unless you get your ducks exactly in a row, money can be hard to come by. The biggest problem there, as it suspsect it will be here, will be utilisation. Like aircraft, cars are expensive, depreciating assets that only make money while they're moving. So the plan is to keep your vehicles moving (with paying passengers) as much as possible. The problem with that, obviously, is that if most of your cars are in use then your clients might not be able to get the vehicle they want, or even need for that matter. This drives up costs as it requires you to maintain a much larger fleet than you have customers.

Most aircraft fractional ownership get around this typically with a combination of three things; First is that the hourly rate charged is a fair bit higher than the actual operating cost (but it might be lower than the cost of an ad-hoc charter). Second, on top of any flying you pay for, there is a typically a yearly management fee charged to clients, from which a smart company will pay most of their indirect operating costs (hangars, staff, marketing, etc). Third is that you pay for what you fly; if you opt for a cheap aircraft, you would (obviously) pay less than someone who opts for an expensive aircraft. How this might apply in your case is having tiered memberships; a basic one that gets you use of a basic package of cars/trucks, and higher tiers that get more exclusive offerings - never underestimate the willingness of people to pay more for something that is perceived to be more exclusive.

My thought is that pricing this at roughly the cost of ownership, while attractive to customers, won't do anything for you except empty your pockets in short order.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This is a very, very cool idea. I think you're probably starting it in the best spot in the country you could.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I still think this is pretty interesting and I hadn't even thought about the "swap out for a pickup for a few days" option, which would be an awesome/convenient way to have a fun car when I need it and a pickup the few times a year I need one for big hardware store/dump runs. I don't know that I'd pilot, but keep us in the loop regarding inventory and how the go live goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrChips posted:

Third is that you pay for what you fly; if you opt for a cheap aircraft, you would (obviously) pay less than someone who opts for an expensive aircraft. How this might apply in your case is having tiered memberships; a basic one that gets you use of a basic package of cars/trucks, and higher tiers that get more exclusive offerings - never underestimate the willingness of people to pay more for something that is perceived to be more exclusive.

This was covered:

quote:

$15 * 27 Prius days
+ $22 * 3 F250 days
= $471 for the month

So the prius is $7 cheaper per day than the F150

I find the idea interesting, it would be great to have the cheapest car to get to work every day, then have something more interesting on the weekend and day trips. The pickup for garden clearance and DIY trips is as good idea too.

Would the prices be seasonal to accommodate demand?

• Locked thread