Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

This is a good idea, because you'd be competing against phds for those adjunct jobs. My local community college's history adjunct staff is about 3/4 phds.

Pretty much one of the major reasons why I was so weary to get my MA to begin with. Well that and the fact I no longer have any student loan debt and would rather not incur more for a degree that gets me nowhere professionally speaking.

My company does offer tuition reimbursement so it wouldn't be that bad. Though now I gotta make the pitch they should pay for this cert but its semi related to my job so I should be good.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Just want to post that I am proudly repping a History degree

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty much one of the major reasons why I was so weary to get my MA to begin with. Well that and the fact I no longer have any student loan debt and would rather not incur more for a degree that gets me nowhere professionally speaking.

My company does offer tuition reimbursement so it wouldn't be that bad. Though now I gotta make the pitch they should pay for this cert but its semi related to my job so I should be good.

Pretty much. I adjuncted for four years, and when my wife and I moved down to DC, I pretty much decided "gently caress it, let's see what I can do outside of academia". My schooling was geared entirely towards it, which makes things kind of awkward now that I'm trying to lateral into something else.

But thanks for the advice so far, as usual, everyone. It's given me a lot to chew over, even though my experience with GIS is null.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

GIS doesn't need any knowledge or experience. If you can understand basic math and are decent with a computer the rest can be taught.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

GIS doesn't need any knowledge or experience. If you can understand basic math and are decent with a computer the rest can be taught.

This actually answers a question I was going to ask.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Define basic math. I was terrible at it in high school and college (history major, lol), but when it came to using it for practical reasons (land nav, sea charts, etc.), or I was allowed to use a calculator like most people do in the real world, I found it to be relatively easy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Penn State has a very good GIS certification and it's completely online.

I've been going back and forth about doing a GIS certification and I've been torn between doing in-person courses and an online program, of which Penn State's was actually recommended to me by an ESRI employee. Do employers tend to care whether you did your program online or not? It's been about seven years since I finished my last degree, and all of my education has been at brick-and-mortar institutions so I still feel like I've got a bias towards that.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

-

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 27, 2015

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah, I'm running the whole ARC suite through a remote server, you don't really need to be in person. Usually you can just use a recording software if things are loving up (they will, its ARC) and get a quick response from the professor. Penn State's good for anything with geography, and if you're around DC George Mason's got a good program with a federal focus, while UMD has a program while being pretty remote sensing and tech heavy due to some NASA ties.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

annapacketstormaya posted:

Don't enlist in the marines and then complain about MyPay on GiP.

Theirs a story here isn't their? Also who the gently caress complains about MyPay. Would you rather deal directly with OPM?

Also speaking of that Byzantine hellhole it turns out OPM misplaced all of our SF86s as well so the PLA is now reading about all those times you cheated on your wife with a local.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AcidRonin posted:

Theirs a story here isn't their? Also who the gently caress complains about MyPay. Would you rather deal directly with OPM?

Also speaking of that Byzantine hellhole it turns out OPM misplaced all of our SF86s as well so the PLA is now reading about all those times you cheated on your wife with a local.

IDR (poster who pretended to be a MARSOC Marine and got found out a few years back) would constantly bitch about MyPay and having issues with it that were non-existent as he was not, the MARSOC Marine he pretended to be.

Looking at the Penn State cert programs, if I went with the general cert rather than the geospatial intelligence one, that wouldn't preclude me from intel type jobs would it? I would imagine I'd end up being trained all the agency specific stuff I'd need to know so long as I have my GIS cert, etc.

EDIT:\/\/ Awesome, thanks!

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 15, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

-

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 27, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gonna check out some of the free online GIS stuff. The company that makes ArcGIS offers a ton of free courses.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Godholio posted:

Gonna check out some of the free online GIS stuff. The company that makes ArcGIS offers a ton of free courses.

ESRI is basically the only game in town when it comes to GIS software. They offer a ton of free online education (a poo poo ton more if you're affiliated with a school). Their courses won't really teach you Arc, but it'll definitely familiarize you with the theory and practice of GIS.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Unless you're working disaster relief or something where the available data's basic at best. The input side of the house is going increasingly opensource because there's a lot of places with crap data about them, and ARC's a massive pain in the rear end for quick input and modification by tons of people. Decent schools will give you some work with opensource GIS programs so you, which is good stuff if you're looking at the non-intell side of the house.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

somewhatpathetic posted:

Unless you're working disaster relief or something where the available data's basic at best. The input side of the house is going increasingly opensource because there's a lot of places with crap data about them, and ARC's a massive pain in the rear end for quick input and modification by tons of people. Decent schools will give you some work with opensource GIS programs so you, which is good stuff if you're looking at the non-intell side of the house.

Yeah, open source is the next big thing in disaster relief with poo poo like Ushahidi and TomNod. Arc is still the standard bearer for creating visuals though.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah, that and Illustrator for when ARC's being a bitch. Take a class in Illustrator.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
What is the GIS cert? Maybey I'm just not familiar with the acronym

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

AcidRonin posted:

What is the GIS cert? Maybey I'm just not familiar with the acronym

Geographic information system/fancy cartography software.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

annapacketstormaya posted:

Geographic information system/fancy cartography software.

Ahh that must be imagery things :agesilaus: I wouldn't know. Is that something NGA and the like would look for?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Something tons of agencies look for because it's very easy to link data to a map via GIS software. Good bullet-point on the resume.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Huh well get that then. I got brought in off the street after school through a developmental program so that's the only method I really know about

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hey gang don't forget opsec.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't think anything opsec'y has been discussed :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just in general :nsa:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

:nsa: is a very apropos smiley for this discussion.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
opsec vizier is also watching

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

opsec vizier is also watching

Thank you for this it is now up in my office with the copthreads contributions

Gonna have to go to somebody's office soon I imagine.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I fit the OPs situation to a T, except I never got my MA in history despite taking some courses towards it and hemming and hawing about whether or not I wanted to actually go through with getting it.

Thanks to this thread, I came to the realization that I'm an idiot and completely forgot about GIS (worked with it very very briefly when I was interning with FEMA). Gonna start looking at certificate programs for that, because it beats the gently caress outta my original plan of, get a MA in history and maybe teach but for poo poo pay.

Contractors do the vast majority of FEMA's GIS work. Actual FEMA employees are more like program managers and analysts. Idk what they analyze except FEMA never has any clue what it wants.

Godholio posted:

Most ESRI courses are worthless unless it's taught by an instructor. Some of the books ESRI Press releases can be ok. The online training don't really teach you how to think about your own problem, it's just replicating their perfectly built data sets which don't exist in the real world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was thinking more to see if it's interesting enough to pursue.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Godholio posted:

I was thinking more to see if it's interesting enough to pursue.

Warning: the ESRI courses are really dry. Take an actual intro class. I didn't like learning the theory and mechanics behind it, but once I was using the actual program I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
ESRI doesn't make good intro classes. Take an intro class at the community college level. If you're really self motivated, you can do QGIS tutorials which might have whatever it is you want to apply GIS to.

• Locked thread