Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
So some of you might remember when It's Showtime promoted his retirement fight, after which he announced in the ring he signed a 3 fight contract with Glory. Then Glory promoted his third fight as a retirement fight. Well, since those three fights he's had three more fights, with his last being an unexpected rematch against Ernesto Hoost. He had planned to fight one more time in Japan and then call it quits, but citing issues recovering from injuries (in addition to the wear and tear of fighting for loving ever, for over 10 years he's worn those massive neoprene socks on his shins because he's been fighting so long that the skin on his legs keeps splitting open) he's decided to call it a day. It seems like it's probably for real this time.

Aerts made his pro debut in 1985, his first recorded fight in 1988 was against Ernesto Hoost and he fought in the toughest era of heavyweight kickboxing, and then still hung around for years after to periodically embarrass Semmy Schilt :patriot: post your viking cool memories or fight videos in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYgii9xWMvc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The knockout at 1:13 is my favorite Aerts thing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
His charitable act of clearing the way for allistair to win the K1 GP. That night was all about Aerts performance

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not sure if it's my favorite Aerts memory, but certainly one of the things that I remember first is in the 2006 GP when Sapp was supposed to fight Hoost again and pulled out. Aerts wasn't scheduled to fight and was in the audience after a big dinner (and thus also presumably high as gently caress because it's Peter Aerts, who carries a a box of joints with him at all times even in Japan because gently caress You, He's Peter Aerts) but he borrowed a pair of Schilt's shorts and proceeded to go the distance with a guy who's no worse than #3 in terms of heavyweight kickboxers in history.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I believe it was duncan who when talking about heavyweight rankings said of Noguiera "He wasn't the best. But he was the greatest." which expresses my feelings on Aerts clearly and concisely.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Peter Aerts knocking Mighty Mo silly in the 2010 GP was a favorite moment. That whole GP was magic. Aerts drudging up some old man magic powers and going for the gusto against steroid fueled Overeem.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Underappreciated Aerts moment: he had a pretty strong rivalry going with Mike Bernardo, who had a Vitor style love of Jesus, constantly mentioning Jesus in press interviews and putting crosses on his ring wear. So as a joke Aerts had 666 printed on all of his, including a satanic flannel shirt for the 98 GP.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
The last Aerts vs Schilt fight is probably my favorite Aerts moment :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0A0jwZHOYk

I'm really happy that he retired after that fight and never fought again.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
aerts seems to be a very friendly dude who also loves fighting and is a total badass. i only watched kickboxing from 2008 onwards but i saw him have loads of great fights, and obviously when he stepped in and beat schilt in 2010 it was like a top 3 kickboxing moment. he's also the only guy to have beaten schilt more times than he's lost (except hong-man choi but let's forget that loving travesty)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Aerts is a beautiful human being who was a gift to kickboxing. I wish I had watched much more of his early kickboxing live.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Underappreciated Aerts moment: he had a pretty strong rivalry going with Mike Bernardo, who had a Vitor style love of Jesus, constantly mentioning Jesus in press interviews and putting crosses on his ring wear. So as a joke Aerts had 666 printed on all of his, including a satanic flannel shirt for the 98 GP.

lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
to me aerts was always a grizzled vet so seeing videos of him as a young man is confusing

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
He used to come out to southern California to train with Marco Ruas and Pedro Rizzo. I was 17 or so and had been kickboxing for all of 3 months and he was way nicer to me than he had any reason to be, patiently explaining that my spastic flailing was not, in fact, impressive and showing me how to do things correctly. This involved him effortlessly folding heavy bags around his right leg over and over and then smiling patiently while I continued to do things wildly wrong.

He was also reportedly perpetually high and (I was told) once took a poo poo in the ocean after a run along the beach and then threw a handful of it at the assorted Brazilians who he was working out with and started laughing hysterically.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

He was also reportedly perpetually high and (I was told) once took a poo poo in the ocean after a run along the beach and then threw a handful of it at the assorted Brazilians who he was working out with and started laughing hysterically.

hahahahahahaha, thank you for sharing this

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Wow his wiki page is shamefully out of date

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

drat that owns

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Change the thread title to "Peter Aerts is a poo poo-flinging demon"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's Mike Schiavello's stirring retelling of the time that Peter Aerts gave him and Ray Sefo a tour of the red-light district and enticed The Voice to eat a banana out of a prostitute's vagina: http://www.axs.tv/fear-and-loathing-in-amsterdam/

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Does anyone here not love peter aerts?

Because if they do I will fight you irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had to check the date on the OP because I thought someone had bumped this from years ago but nope, another decade of TBI. A 30-year career in combat sports is almost unheard of.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 10, 2015

• Locked thread