Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
OK guys, I need some input and some help. I've been fostering a feral mama cat, and I had someone bring me a kitten that they found stuck in a fence with no mama cat around. Her eyes weren't even open at that point, and my nursing mama adopted her with no problem. Since she was 2 weeks younger and smaller than her foster brothers and sister, we've been calling her Tiny Girl. She's almost 5 weeks old now, and as she started to really walk we noticed that she was having some difficulty walking. We held off to see if she was just a slow starter, but as she REALLY started to walk it became evident that something was badly wrong. I took her to my vet late last week, she took x-rays, and Tiny Girl has a birth defect which the vet says is related to Manx Syndrome. Basically, she was born without hip sockets .. call it severe hip dysplasia, that's the easiest way to describe it. She can walk, but she falls easily. She can scamper, but again she falls a lot. She can't jump at all, and she has trouble getting over even low obstacles. When she's tired, one or both of her hind legs drag. I'm attaching a video of her playing with her foster brothers Oliver and Midnight that shows a little bit of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbo7-_3eqM

After examination and x-rays the vet said that Tiny Girl could probably live a fairly full and normal life as an indoor cat with provisions (like steps or ramps) for her disability, but that she may have to have surgery (femoral head ostectomy) to remove the ball of the femur once she reaches full growth, so that it doesn't rub on the pelvis. My concern is for whether she is in pain, and realistically whether -- as much as I hate even the thought -- it would be kinder to euthanize her. She's eating well, she plays some but not as much as a normal kitten her age should, and I worry :( She's a wonderful little girl and I love her, and if she can lead a happy life I'll move heaven and earth to find her a home that will care for her ... but am I doing the right thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Can you afford the surgery? If yes, sure gently caress it vets are getting pretty good with dysplasia, especially in young animals. If you can't, then you can't.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
That's weird that they call it related to Manx Syndrome, because my understanding was that had to do with the spinal cord not fully closing.

Anyways, if the vet is telling you that the kitty can have a pretty normal life but will require some financial commitment, I would say no to euthanasia. The pain that could happen sounds like it's treatable with surgery and right now kitty isn't experiencing pain. If you're not able to commit to the special needs, perhaps there is a rescue who can step in? A cute wobbly kitten can get a lot of help with the right social media campaign.

Edit: Ah, tiny girl is a bobtail/manx. That makes more sense. She looks like she's doing kitten things in the video. Just getting used to the fact that her back end doesn't always do what she tells it to do. How does she do on carpet? Can she get more traction?

pandaid fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 11, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

As long as she is not in pain and can have a good life then she will be fine. I would be more worried about any of her brothers and sisters still out in the wild as they will not make it without being able to get out of trouble.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

fluffy bunnies posted:

Can you afford the surgery? If yes, sure gently caress it vets are getting pretty good with dysplasia, especially in young animals. If you can't, then you can't.
I could afford the surgery, but I can't keep her until she's ready for it (vet says close to her full growth, or close to a year). I have 5 cats now, 4 of whom Do Not Appreciate me fostering other cats/kittens, and my big bully of a black cat gets physical about his displeasure. He might kill her, he would definitely hurt her :( This isn't something I've ever had to deal with and I love my vet but I think sometimes she tends to try anything to save the animal, and that isn't always the best thing. So I wasn't sure what kind of outcome Tiny Girl could expect ... if it's generally a good outcome, then I can blitz social media and find her someone to love her and get the surgery when the time comes.

pandaid posted:

Anyways, if the vet is telling you that the kitty can have a pretty normal life but will require some financial commitment, I would say no to euthanasia. The pain that could happen sounds like it's treatable with surgery and right now kitty isn't experiencing pain. If you're not able to commit to the special needs, perhaps there is a rescue who can step in? A cute wobbly kitten can get a lot of help with the right social media campaign.
That's my current thought; I am affiliated with one rescue and can definitely get her out there, and hopefully with some exposure she'll find the right person who will love her and care for her. I have 5 cats now, 4 of whom Do Not Appreciate me fostering other cats/kittens, and I feel like she would have a very rough time here since my big bully of a black cat gets physical about his displeasure. He might kill her, he would definitely hurt her :(

quote:

Edit: Ah, tiny girl is a bobtail/manx. That makes more sense. She looks like she's doing kitten things in the video. Just getting used to the fact that her back end doesn't always do what she tells it to do. How does she do on carpet? Can she get more traction?
Yeah, she's a bobtail, and I can tell you that her entire rear/pelvis/hip area is visibly messed up on the x-ray. I'll see if I can get a copy of it and post it. We have no carpet in our house since we own special needs animals and foster litters of kittens but it doesn't seem to be a traction thing as much as that the legs just ... don't work right. She has trouble even standing still sometimes, her rear end just goes out from under her. I'm sure the slick wood floors don't help, but even on a bed or blanket she has the same issues :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The good thing is that she is running around doing kitten things and for 75% of the time does fine. I saw in your other post that she has good rectal tone, so that's a good thing.

Vets do try to do whatever they can to save things; our patients die often enough (10-20 year lifespan and lack of insurance really sucks) that we really, really want to try and save things when we can.

Animals that have had the FHO surgery can do quite well with it.

As long as she maintains urinary and fecal continence, then things are good. If she starts having problems there, or if she starts demonstrating signs of pain, then other things may have to be considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I just saw a puppy with similar issues, but one hip more affected than the other. Compared to her, Tiny Girl looks like she is doing absolutely fabulous.

The puppy was already showing severe discomfort at 8 weeks, to the point where she wasn't behaviorally normal. It was pretty bad news for a rottweiler and we did have to have a euthanasia discussion. A cat has a lot less weight to carry and she seems to be coping well so far. I'd at least give her a shot at placement.

• Locked thread