Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And it is together!

What got it here - had the swingarm welded up, replaced the oil sensor, removed the R/R, installed a modern main fuse, pulled the carbs to clear some grit from the #4 float bowl, reinstalled the motor mounts, hooked up all the cables, addressed the wiring, installed the air filters, checked the chain fit.

Needs some new swingarm spacers installed (they're on the way), and a bunch of random things, shock spacers, tires, centerstand stop, steering stop, chain guide, install the Dyna ignition, fuel lines, crankcase breather lines, clean out / de-rust the tank, slide the fender back a bit, and then it will be on the road! If all the parts show up, I'll have it done this weekend - had to order a 98 ZX6R swingarm slider from England of all places. Also needs mirrors, rear brake, and a couple of other minor odds and ends.

Then it's getting it re-registered in CA, paint it in the official color of lazy masculinity, figure out the ducati headlight, RFID ignition, steering damper mount, and maybe replacement gauges if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's anything other than purple I'll be loving disappointed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Flat black is the only color for lazy masculinity.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I see the invite... this gives me 4 months to get both bikes sold off and to find a V4R or SDR for ~$8k :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I see the invite... this gives me 4 months to get both bikes sold off and to find a V4R or SDR for ~$8k :v:

I believe!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Changed 4 tires today - Roadtec 01s on the S1000XR, a new rear Metzler on the SuperDuke, and the front Pilot Road on the CBX. Also, cleaned the bikes with S100, which seemed to work out pretty nicely, took 2 tries on the S1000XR, which hasn't been cleaned in like a year. Also started trying to kill the varnish out of the CBX tank, which is probably going to be long process...it's soaking in simple green aircraft cleaner right now, we'll see how it goes tomorrow, might throw some chain in the tank and shake it about to try and clean out the last of the residual gunk.

Once that is done, all I need to do is install the chain guard and the bike is rideable! Of course, it won't have a rear brake but who needs those.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rode the CBX!

But the gas tank is still steadily losing varnish and poo poo, so I'm gonna have to keep cleaning it, rather than riding the CBX. Did a pass with Por15 cleaner (nasty stuff) and now doing a pass with Evaporust. We'll see how it goes!

Also, decided to keep the SuperDuke, and start modifying it. Building the 1290 SMR was p fun, but I think it's time for something a bit different. I have purchased a 690 Enduro gas tank/seat, and will be trying to make a legit "supermoto" out of the 1290. I still need to find some tail plastics, radiator shrouds, and might need to do some additional modding to get the seat and subframe to fit. Shooting for ~420 pounds, 170rwhp, 8 inches of suspension travel, and a seat height low enough that my wife can sitll ride the bike. I've taken a look and it is definitely possible to do it, so clearly it's time to make another bad idea a reality!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Evap-O-Rust is the greatest stuff ever invented.

Don't know what it'll do for varnish but it will strip the rust out of that like nothing else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Also, decided to keep the SuperDuke, and start modifying it. Building the 1290 SMR was p fun, but I think it's time for something a bit different. I have purchased a 690 Enduro gas tank/seat, and will be trying to make a legit "supermoto" out of the 1290. I still need to find some tail plastics, radiator shrouds, and might need to do some additional modding to get the seat and subframe to fit. Shooting for ~420 pounds, 170rwhp, 8 inches of suspension travel, and a seat height low enough that my wife can sitll ride the bike. I've taken a look and it is definitely possible to do it, so clearly it's time to make another bad idea a reality!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Livin' that dream. The only downside to the 1290 SMR is that it's pretty top heavy due to the gas tank being high and forward, this should move the CoG down quite a bit. Plus it was having some difficulty doing wheelies with all that weight, so moving the gas to the back should fix that up real nicely. Folks are seeing 170hp with the akra and an otherwise unmodified airbox, so if I run the Rottweiler setup, and the full Akra system, I should be able to see ~175rwhp. Bazzaz for fuel tuning, and I'll borrow the Z-AFM off of the 1290 SMR for tuning purposes.

I haven't put more than a few hundred miles on the SuperDuke since I bought the XR, but this is the one thing I can do that make me want to ride it again...

Already have the suspension on the way as well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I have purchased a 690 Enduro gas tank/seat, and will be trying to make a legit "supermoto" out of the 1290. Shooting for ~420 pounds, 170rwhp, 8 inches of suspension travel, and a seat height low enough that my wife can sitll ride the bike.

Watching you lego together KTMs never gets old. I cannot believe how modular motorcycles are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Livin' that dream. The only downside to the 1290 SMR is that it's pretty top heavy due to the gas tank being high and forward, this should move the CoG down quite a bit. Plus it was having some difficulty doing wheelies with all that weight, so moving the gas to the back should fix that up real nicely. Folks are seeing 170hp with the akra and an otherwise unmodified airbox, so if I run the Rottweiler setup, and the full Akra system, I should be able to see ~175rwhp. Bazzaz for fuel tuning, and I'll borrow the Z-AFM off of the 1290 SMR for tuning purposes.

I haven't put more than a few hundred miles on the SuperDuke since I bought the XR, but this is the one thing I can do that make me want to ride it again...

Already have the suspension on the way as well.

You'll forgive me for being skeptical :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You'll forgive me for being skeptical :v:

Fiff gear or bust

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Most parts ordered. Remaining parts: some OEM random stuff, brake lines, rottweiler intake (if i need it).

The biggest item I need to figure out at the moment is how to mount the 1290 fuel pump into the 690. I think there's a number of ways this can be done, but until I have the parts on hand, it's gonna be hard to tell how to do it.

loving FedEx has the tank sitting in Sacramento until Tuesday for some loving reason. On the flip side, my shock coming from Lithuania showed up in 3 days. :iiam:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

rottweiler intake (if i need it)

I've heard of lots of high performance machines running on exotic fuels, but fuuuuuuuuuck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I've heard of lots of high performance machines running on exotic fuels, but fuuuuuuuuuck.

they're good fuels, bront

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

my shock coming from Lithuania showed up in 3 days. :iiam:

We are good workers, tovarishch

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

12/10

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would gas up at an airport again

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This seems fine:

Tail's a bit higher than I want:

But it should be possible to fit everything and make this work :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:swoon:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

This seems fine:

Is that with the bike up on the stand? How much clearance is there down low?

Obligatory, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Is that with the bike up on the stand? How much clearance is there down low?

Obligatory, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

That's with it upright, on both the wheels, no rider weight.

And don't get me wrong, that rider is short, but a 40 inch seat height is a level above that. The tail is 51 inches off the ground. I can get one foot down on the ground, kinda, if I let my other foot float about 5 inches above the footpeg. With the adventure pegs on, it's going to be insanely roomy, borderline standing up sitting down. Need to figure out how to get that seat to sit a bit lower if I expect anyone else to be able to enjoy it.

Here it is with a bunch of stuff under the kickstand so it sits relatively upright:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 22, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
If you won't be relocating the exhaust up high so it runs through the cutout in the tank, you could fit a rally replica tank for a bit more fuel, it's probably expensive though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

If you won't be relocating the exhaust up high so it runs through the cutout in the tank, you could fit a rally replica tank for a bit more fuel, it's probably expensive though.

Yeah that's the plan once test fits are validated. Exhaust will likely stay on the other side of the bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, duh, nobody is on the bike to compress the shocks. Also, I'm really tall just send it to me.

Super impressed with how natural the side plastics and seat look on that frame, though. I would not have expected it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sick streetfighter bro.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh it has about 11 inches of ground clearance - around 2-3 at full compression on both ends.

Slavvy posted:

Sick streetfighter bro.

It's in the German style, ya. (Hopefully less so soon)

Coydog posted:

Well, duh, nobody is on the bike to compress the shocks. Also, I'm really tall just send it to me.

Super impressed with how natural the side plastics and seat look on that frame, though. I would not have expected it.

Yeah I'm surprised the 1290 frame actually is just as narrow as the 690 frame. The seat actually lands directly on the frame rails on the 1290.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Test rode this thing:

It was pretty good, I made it less than a mile before I did a wheelie over a curb to ride through a park.

So I decided I should buy this:

After all, I've got great street bikes, clearly it's time to buy a great dirt bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Test rode this thing:

It was pretty good, I made it less than a mile before I did a wheelie over a curb to ride through a park.

So I decided I should buy this:

After all, I've got great street bikes, clearly it's time to buy a great dirt bike.

Why'd you get the 450 vs the 350 or 500, what are you planning to do to it and can you give us a review after you've ridden for a while?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Test rode this thing:

Is this for sale? Do I want to know how much the asking price is?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Why'd you get the 450 vs the 350 or 500, what are you planning to do to it and can you give us a review after you've ridden for a while?

So - bone stock, I rode the 350 in sumo trim and it was great from a suspension and feel standpoint, but it wasn't quite powerful enough for me. On the dirt it'd be way more than enough, but for street the 350 wasn't quite as punchy as I'd like (note that I'm a total horsepower fiend and have unreasonable standards). The 450 is only a pound or 2 heavier, and the six days is about $800 more than the 500 with a whole bunch of nice stuff like a comfort seat, skidplate, nicer rotors, the preload adjusters, etc. its way more bike than I need but so it goes! Will definitely review when I've got some miles on it. Use is mostly offroad / ohv stuff, with some minor street and sumo stuff as well.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is this for sale? Do I want to know how much the asking price is?

It's not, no - stock 350 EXC-F with Warp 9 rims on it.

Think it added up to about 14k with the bike (new) and parts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Photo dump i guess cause I've gotten bad at words.

Dat track scene:

Dort borks?

ADV, lol:

Another 1290 SM I GUESS:

Drift car!

A review of the 450:

XC-F reflash is mandatory if you do anything slow. Running tubliss is great. The 450 is way too much bike for a returning offroad rider like me, but I'm learning in spite of it. 350 would have been a much better choice for me overall, but every time I air the bike off some bullshit or use the throttle to bunnyhop me off some poo poo I remember why I love the hell out of the bike, even if the massive engine makes things harder. Love the poo poo out of the thing, though, it's a loving awesome bike. Riding a wheelie from first to 6th is some hilarious poo poo.

Oh and the CBX is running but leaking some oil, need to re-torque the head bolts.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 19, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

What am I looking at/what was this before it got shredded? Pants and a knee brace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, burned through my pants and torched a bit of my knee / knee brace when I crashed and got stuck up against the header for a bit.

• Locked thread