Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Problem description: The last 4-5 days or so, various websites including Facebook, Google, SA, and others have been giving me frequent "Secure Connection Failed" errors. However, this hasn't been happening every time I do so, so I don't think it's some setting or another blocking specifically those sites.

This problem doesn't always happen to every problem site simultaneously, nor on both computers simultaneously; and when it does, it doesn't always resolve itself simultaneously. It also doesn't happen on all browsers simultaneously; I'll be able to access a site on one computer but not the other, and then the other way around half an hour later.

Attempted fixes: So far I've tried everything I've found on Google/Bing: Clearing my cache, disabling the HTTPS Everywhere extension, completely uninstalling HTTPS Everywhere, and setting browser.urlbar.autoFill to false in about :config. I've also tried using a different browser; Computer 1 has Firefox, IE, and Chrome, and using Facebook as a testing site, I can access it on Firefox and Chrome right now, but not IE. Computer 2 only has Firefox and IE, and I can't access it through either browser right now. I can also access it via Firefox on my phone, but not through Steam's in-game browser.

I don't think it's an actual secure connection problem despite the error message; Firefox on both of my computers tries to force https connections when possible (despite trying to disable that), and right now, as I type this, I'm getting different results on different computers with the same browser and identical URLs. On IE, it doesn't force https but it still doesn't load, and it does load on Chrome, which does force https. I also borrowed a Windows 7 computer from someone as a testbed and it's the same as Computer 1 right now, I can Facebook via Firefox but not IE.

I've also tried shouting at the router and that didn't help either.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 x64 on Computer 1, Windows 8.1 x64 on Computer 2, Windows 7 x64 on borrowed testbed computer.

System specs:
Computer 1: rear end-old desktop from like 2008 or something from iBuyPower (terrible customer support but it's still going after 7 years of heavy use so ???). 2 gigs RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000+ 3 GHz, NVidia GeForce 9500 GT.
Computer 2: Brand-new laptop from last month, Asus Republic of Gamers GL551JW-DS71. 12 gigs RAM, Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated + NVidia GeForce GTX960M dedicated.
Borrowed testbed computer: Windows 7 somethingorother.
Router: AT&T U-Verse 3801HGV.
AV/Firewall: Avast on Computers 1 and 2, unknown on testbed.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try removing Avast from one of those computers. Software AV could cause something like this.

• Locked thread