Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
I'm a 22 year old American, and I don't have a driver's license. I've never really had a reason to get one, since I live in a medium-sized city with adequate public transportation.

I received my instructor's permit last January (2015) at my boyfriend's request. We like to take trips and he really wants me to be able to take the wheel every now and then. I'm sick of not having a license, too -- both because it's kind of embarrassing when all your friends can drive and you can't, and because there are lots of situations popping up where it would be useful (trips abroad, driving to my bf's house in the suburbs, road trips, etc).

My bf, an experienced driver, has been teaching me how to drive somewhat infrequently since I received my permit. I only see him on the weekends, and even then he still does about 75% of the driving.

I'm an okay driver. I've pretty much mastered freeways and driving on rural/small town roads, but suburban and urban driving still terrifies me. I guess that's the biggest problem with my driving: I'm a nervous driver. I get flustered very easily on the road and am perpetually convinced that I'm going to cause a crash and everyone else on the road is going to be mad at me because I'm driving poorly or whatever. I don't think I'm a bad driver, but I'm definitely the kind who constantly grips onto the steering wheel for dear life.

My bf and I are planning a large road trip out west in August, and it's basically a requirement that I have a license by then. So I'm probably going to schedule a test for late July or early August.

So... my questions to you lovely goons: What are some good ways to deal with driving anxiety? What should I be prepared for when I take the driving test? Any tips or advice you could give would be appreciated. Please share your own experiences too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

queertea posted:

I'm a 22 year old American, and I don't have a driver's license. I've never really had a reason to get one, since I live in a medium-sized city with adequate public transportation.

I received my instructor's permit last January (2015) at my boyfriend's request. We like to take trips and he really wants me to be able to take the wheel every now and then. I'm sick of not having a license, too -- both because it's kind of embarrassing when all your friends can drive and you can't, and because there are lots of situations popping up where it would be useful (trips abroad, driving to my bf's house in the suburbs, road trips, etc).

My bf, an experienced driver, has been teaching me how to drive somewhat infrequently since I received my permit. I only see him on the weekends, and even then he still does about 75% of the driving.

I'm an okay driver. I've pretty much mastered freeways and driving on rural/small town roads, but suburban and urban driving still terrifies me. I guess that's the biggest problem with my driving: I'm a nervous driver. I get flustered very easily on the road and am perpetually convinced that I'm going to cause a crash and everyone else on the road is going to be mad at me because I'm driving poorly or whatever. I don't think I'm a bad driver, but I'm definitely the kind who constantly grips onto the steering wheel for dear life.

My bf and I are planning a large road trip out west in August, and it's basically a requirement that I have a license by then. So I'm probably going to schedule a test for late July or early August.

So... my questions to you lovely goons: What are some good ways to deal with driving anxiety? What should I be prepared for when I take the driving test? Any tips or advice you could give would be appreciated. Please share your own experiences too!

You may not have enough time now, but I'd recommend shelling out for professional lessons. You'll be less likely to develop the same bad habits as your boyfriend (all drivers have bad habits), they should have a better idea of your weaknesses and how to correct them, and it'll probably be less stressful learning from someone neutral.

The road tests in North America are pretty much a joke. The only way you can fail them, for the most part, is speeding and/or doing something stupid out of nerves. If you get professional lessons, they might even allow you to do a refresher right before your actual road test to familiarize yourself with the area. This is a mixed blessing (I hosed up within the first 30 seconds of my first road test because the instructor had always been saying "get into the middle lane" and I never realized it was because the right lane was right-turn only; cue me driving straight through the right-turn-only lane) but if you feel like you need a bit of extra confidence, it might be a good idea.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lessons are a very good idea, but honestly the best way to get over your nervousness is simply to drive more so you become more familiar/experienced with it and build confidence. It's going to be very difficult to get the depth of experience you need to feel truly comfortable if you're only able to drive on a learner's permit once per week, so I'd actually try to arrange to take the driving test sooner rather than later if you're not going to do lessons*. Once you have the license you can start working on things at your own pace and you'll progress much faster by being able to drive around on your own in urban/suburban areas you're familiar with than you will through any other method. I was a nervous driver too (constantly worried that the car was somehow going to veer away and hit parked cars/oncoming traffic) and delayed taking my test for much longer than I should have because I felt like I wasn't ready and needed more experience. But that was a mistake- the extra time didn't help, and it was only after I actually bit the bullet and took the test to get my license (much easier than I thought it would be), and was able to drive around on my own that I became confident (and genuinely competent) in my driving. The nervousness won't go away all in one go, but once you're driving on your own I think you'll be very surprised by how quickly you get over it.

*Plus, if you fail (which you probably won't) you'll still have time to retest before the trip and you'll concretely know what you need to work on (and have time to work on it). Taking a lower stakes driving test in late June/early July sounds like a much better idea than adding unnecessary pressure/stress by creating a scenario where you need to pass for your trip to be successful.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

queertea posted:

There isn't a secret method to get rid of the sort of driving anxiety you're talking about, you just have to do a bunch of driving. More experience will alleviate your concerns that you're driving like an idiot. More importantly, at least for me, the mechanics of driving will start to become habitual and subconscious, allowing you to focus on everything that's going on around you, so that you can stop being worried about causing an accident by overlooking some critical detail.

The more often you drive, the less time this will probably take. If you can get access to a car and drive every day, even for a few minutes, for a month, things will likely sort themselves out.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2015

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
16 year olds do it. Maybe find some outlet that allows you to relax as a human being.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Practice driving near the DMV office where you'll be taking your driving test. Also, I would recommend taking your driving test when there are fewer cars on the road, so maybe consider that when scheduling your test.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Drive the car first, then worry about finding your destination. If you're about to miss your turn, accept it and find a place to turn around.

Get your license for the drive, but don't try and drive around a brand new town that neither you nor your boyfriend know very well. Driving down the freeway is the most boring poo poo ever anyway, so your bf will probably love the help there.

Also Nthing the experience thing. Not sure what the living situation is, but if you can commute down the same roads repeatedly, you will be able to start concentrating on defensive driving that much quicker.

Also don't worry about being nervous. If you're not at least a little nervous driving a two ton chunk of metal at 60mph, you're not giving it the respect it deserves.

E: Kinda went one track with the 'drive the same roads' thing, but everyone else took the good responses upthread. Also there is something to be said for practicing the same roads over and over again, you get to turn off the 'where am I going' part of your brain, and concentrate on the technical aspects of driving.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2015

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

It is scary for everyone at first, you will get used to it. it is ok. Just do not think about the fact that more people die in automotive accidents than firearms, tornadoes, and airline crashes combined.
Focus and just pay attention you will be fine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr.Bob posted:

It is scary for everyone at first, you will get used to it. it is ok. Just do not think about the fact that more people die in automotive accidents than firearms, tornadoes, and airline crashes combined.
Focus and just pay attention you will be fine.

Also it's not scary for everyone first.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mr.Bob posted:

It is scary for everyone at first,

Uh. Bad news no its not AT ALL. I smoked it with ~1 point off the first time just after my 16th birthday mainly because I paid attention in class plus driving is loving easy as gently caress so long as you're not on your loving phone/distracting yourself (gently caress YOU), drunk (gently caress YOU), or just cant drive (gently caress you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'd recommend getting lessons from a professional as well, especially if you're nervous. Then again I took my test in the UK where you're expected to fail the road test once or twice, the US sounds much easier. I still think it would be good for your anxiety, you'll get feedback from someone who's not only a neutral source but also has had a shitload of experience with new divers and will be able to give a much more realistic appraisal of your current driving skills, how likely you are to pass and what you need to work on. Also agree on it helping minimise bad driving habits.

• Locked thread