Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Hello everyone.

Recently (over the past three or four years) I've been getting really in to backpacking, hiking, and camping. I've spent a week in Utah, California, and just recently took two 3 day trips in the Cherokee National Forest, as well as other places around the US, so I feel relatively confident on the trail but I still think I'm new to the whole backpacking thing.. I've also bought a lot of gear! Slowly, I've acquired my own backpack, tent, sleep system, and tons of other outdoor gear that I seem to spend way too much money on. I've been so in to backpacking lately that I have really felt the itch to start planning my own trips. All of my experience has been with trips planned by my schools outdoor program or by very experienced acquaintances, but I have some very close friends that are also interested in backpacking, and we'd all like to go out on some short trips together.

So, despite my experience with hard skills and comfort on trail, I've realized I don't have much experience planning at all. I don't really understand how you choose where to start a trip, plan how far to go each day, figure out where the best places to sleep and to find water are, and that kinda stuff. Basically, I know what to do once I'm out there, I just don't know how to get started.

I live about an hour away from the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, and I'd love to plan a two night or three night trip for myself and a friend or two. How do I go about picking a good route, how do I make sure there is adequate water on the way, and does anyone have any recommendations for trips in this area? Also, one concern I have is overpacking. Packing food for more people than just myself intimidates me, and I'm worried about bringing too little or too much.

I'd love some advice and tips or just tell me your backpacking stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Don't change your name to Death and open a kickstarter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is a hiking and backpacking thread that may be useful -
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

• Locked thread