Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Problem description: Since updating my GTX660 to a GTX970, the computer will occasionally just power off. Loss of sound, video, etc. but the fans are still running. On occasion, after a reboot the BIOS would complain about improper shutdown due to inadequate power.

Attempted fixes: Bought a new power supply.

Recent changes: Replaced my GTX660 with a 970. Updated to a new power supply.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1, fully updated.

System specs:

1 x ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
1 x Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W BX80637I73770K Desktop Processor Intel ...
1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO MZ-7KE256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

new:
1 x EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video ...
1 x EVGA 220-GS-1050-V1 80 PLUS GOLD 1050 W 7 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support ...

old:
Mushkin 1000w power supply, 80+ GOLD but it's getting older and the order info is lost to the sands of time.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

So the card seems to operate great, mostly in FFXIV max settings. However, every once in a while the computer just cuts out - loss of image, audio, etc. The fans and LEDs are still on, and it takes a hard shutdown to come back. At one point the BIOS stated that there were power issues during reboot. I replaced the power supply which didn't solve the problem. There are no graphical artifacts or distortion, just an immediate loss of power. I tried the most recent drivers, and one revision back.

I don't think it's temperature related. The CPU was in the low 50's C, and the system temp low 30's. My monitor didn't show the card temp, but when I pulled it out immediately after it was room temp.

Everything works 100% correctly when going back to the 660, on either power supply.

At this point I have three ideas, and I don't just want to throw a bunch of money at it without bouncing ideas off people.
-Could it still be a bad graphics card? It's possible, but doesn't display the symptoms I'm used to.
-Motherboard? Maybe. It's the only thing between the card and the power.
-My poo poo house? The last time it crashed I noticed the A/C kicked in at the same time, and there's sometimes a noticeable light dimming when that thing fires up. Maybe a coincidence? I don't know if it lines up to the other crashes.
I guess I could have had a failing power supply and replaced it with a bad power supply as well.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

-Could it still be a bad graphics card? It's possible, but doesn't display the symptoms I'm used to.
-Motherboard? Maybe. It's the only thing between the card and the power.
I guess I could have had a failing power supply and replaced it with a bad power supply as well.

All three of those are possible but I'd think GPU issues first as you said the other card seems to be working fine (which means the motherboard is probably okay too).

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

-My poo poo house? The last time it crashed I noticed the A/C kicked in at the same time, and there's sometimes a noticeable light dimming when that thing fires up. Maybe a coincidence? I don't know if it lines up to the other crashes.

If other electronic devices are acting strangely it's a possibility.

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I updated the BIOS to no effect, and aside from some lights dimming nothing else seems bothered by the AC. I'll start up the RMA process for the new card and see what happens.
Thanks,

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just for the record lights dimming shouldn't cause issues on modern power supplies, they will adjust their current draw based on the input voltage, rather than keeping current constant and varying output voltage as in older models. This is also why modern power supplies aren't compatible with cheaper UPSs that use modified/approximated sine wave output, it causes the power supply to emit pulses of load rather than the smooth, steady draw desired.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Got the new card and nothing's really changed. Double checked the BIOS, which is fully updated, and every system driver I could get my hands on, so they shouldn't be the issue. Actually got the GPU temp this time, which was around 70C at the time of a crash. Doesn't seem high to me.

Can also completely rule out AC interference on top of what Aleron said, as it's cold as balls today and my computer's basically the only thing running.

I guess I'm looking at shoving the card back into a box until a new computer rolls around.

• Locked thread