Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Luebbi posted:

Glad to see you jumped in! First off, from the things you tell us I take it you're using the Kick Off! Box. Did you make sure to use the Season rules? If whoever kicked the ball down the pitch started the game with a momentum, you've been using the correct ruleset. Furthermore, many of the players in the box got their cards updated. You can use the App GBManager to have all the current cards. Updated cards, free rules and a short pamphlet on what changed from the Kick Off! Box can be found here: https://hub.guild-ball.com/

Right, with that out of the way - your starting rosters seem fine. In Guild Ball, sometimes there's not much you can do about getting a goal in, especially from someone like Flint. Brewers answer to that is usually to shrug and let one pass, then "hide the ball" (put it on someone who's hard to tackle off of, preferably in cover and somewhere off to the side) and demolish whoever was dumb enough to walk into their side of the pitch. Also, with more players on the pitch, it will get harder for Flint to find a good route to shoot his goal.

4 players next is a good idea. Maybe add friday to the Brewers so they also have some goal threat, and Brick as a tank to the masons. But honestly, don't worry too much about the teams and focus on getting a few more games in ;) I'd stick with the two teams for now, mainly because you have both seen them in action and kind of know what to expect from Tapper and Honour. The game is easier to learn if you don't switch around.

You discard Gameplan cards. In the rare cases where the game drags on, you pick them all up again after you went through your stack.

Thanks a lot for this. We were definitely using the new rules, (even if getting a few of them wrong). Discarding those cards makes a lot more sense.

I'll add in Brick and Friday for the next match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Thanks a lot for this. We were definitely using the new rules, (even if getting a few of them wrong). Discarding those cards makes a lot more sense.

I'll add in Brick and Friday for the next match.

Ended up adding in Mallet and Friday and the game was much better.

I kicked off with Mallet. Stole the ball top of the second turn with Flint and kicked a goal, the kickoff went to Friday who ran and scored one back. Ball ended up with Honor, who, after Mallet generated some momentum, ran forward and gave flint a snap shot. Ball came back to Spigot who along with Hooper beat the snot out of Mallet, giving my opponent the momentum lead and leaving Mallet on 1 health going into the third turn. Spigot finished off the knocked down mallet for the momentum, jogged forward and kicked in for a 10-8 victory (we played with reduced teams and points to win). Another really enjoyable game, the guy I am playing with and I are getting much faster at playing.

Looking forward to trying a full game with the Captain, 4 Squaddies and Mascot.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Sounds great! Glad the teams worked out for you, and you had a close match.

Finding out who to use for the kick off is one of the more intricate parts of the game. See it as a threat extension; a good bet is to take a model who can use the extra early movement to come into the enemy to beat on them, or to snatch the ball and slam in a goal. IKicking off with Flint, for example, puts him 5" closer to the enemy team... and already in threat of getting the ball back later in the turn.

I gave Alchemists a try this weekend. Hosted a small tournament with only 6 players and got thorougly stomped. I had only played them once before and they're quite tricky to get used to. Played Midas every match, got a couple of goals and understood at least a bit of the mechanics of the team. Hope I'll get to play them again soon!

As a gimmick, I'd made a Bingo Sheet for the tournament, including stuff like "deal 7+ damage with a single attack", "get a Takeout/goal with your mascot", "fail 2 passes in a game", "get a goal with 2 or less dice" and so on. I remarked at the beginning that it'd be quite hard to get multiple bingos. Out of the 6 people, one guy got one bingo... and the guy who won the tournament filled in the entire sheet except for a single field. He loves adding challenge to his games. Bloody lunatic.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Guild Ball is dead

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yep brief discussion about it in the death thread.