Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, Mostly Harmless is the only bad Hitchiker's book. It reads like Adams was depressed.

IIRC that's because Adams was depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeah, Mostly Harmless is the only bad Hitchiker's book. It reads like Adams was depressed.

He was, actually, and he didn't think it was fair to end the series on such a dark tone. Then he had a fatal heart attack before he could write another one. Which feels like a natural extension of the HHGTTG story to be perfectly honest.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I lucked out in enjoying audiobooks, between listening in bed and while doing low brainpower stuff, I get through hours a day that I wouldn't have time for if I had to sit down and read visually.

I slogged through my last book club book as an audiobook and I was drowning. I felt like I couldn't retain it unless I was laser-focused on it. And it was Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed of all things. I really liked Left Hand of Darkness.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If you have a lot of trouble processing audio only stuff, and don't have a reason already, maybe get checked for ADHD, it was one of the things my shrink said to convince me to test.

...this explains a lot.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
In hindsight it's pretty drat obvious exactly where Adams ran out of the script from the radio series and started going off on his own - halfway through Life, the Universe and Everything . There's a pretty abrupt tone shift from campy and fun to surreal and pretty bleak. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish is just a weird book that contains little humour and feels disconnected from the previous ones. Mostly Harmless is, as someone said, just needlessly cruel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I wouldn't necessarily say it was terrible, but Lovecraft Country had a bit in it that made me think, 'was this written by a white guy?' then I looked it up and found out that it was, and that experience kinda turned me off the book entirely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lovecraft's own work would probably elicit a similar response.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Samovar posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say it was terrible, but Lovecraft Country had a bit in it that made me think, 'was this written by a white guy?' then I looked it up and found out that it was, and that experience kinda turned me off the book entirely.

Victor LaValle's Ballad of Black Tom is Lovecraftian horror written by a Black author and it's good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If you have a lot of trouble processing audio only stuff, and don't have a reason already, maybe get checked for ADHD, it was one of the things my shrink said to convince me to test.
Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo.

Welcome, friend. Come join us in the thread!