Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I am a semi-professional/hobbyist Photographer. I have been able to avoid having to edit my photos, beyond cropping, by controlling the light with my mini-studio set-up in a corner.
I would like to learn how to edit and/or re-expose raw format photos so that I can no longer be confined to my little predefined lighting set-up.

My issue is that I don't know what program(s) can do what I am asking. I would prefer something that is free to start with. I am willing to learn how it works by playing around with the settings and seeing what happens to the picture.
I would like to avoid any program that requires coding as the only way to interact. Other than that it doesn't really matter how dense obtuse the interface is.

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I too am willing to learn how it works by playing around with the settings and seeing what happens to the picture.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

paint.net

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Major_JF posted:

I P I I M I I I I I O T

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i dont get it

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

i get this, but i dont get the OP

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Welcome! If you are wondering how to connect your digital camera and download images to a Linux PC, go to the gPhoto homepage. My software is for processing those images after downloading them.

If you're downloading JPEG files, you don't need my software at all. The image has already been processed inside the camera. Almost all digital cameras made since 1997 produce JPEG images, so why would you want to do it any other way?

Well, despite the convenience and ubiquity of JPEG, there are some disadvantages. JPEG is a lossy format -- to fit a big image into a small file, a lot of information is thrown away. That's why midrange and high-end digital cameras offer an alternative: Raw, unprocessed CCD data files, for which the camera manufacturer provides special decoding software.

Of course this software is for Windows and Macintosh only, with no source code. So it's useless to users of other operating systems, programmers hoping to design a better interpolation algorithm, and historians not yet born in an era when the only Windows machines will be in museums.

So here is my mission: Write and maintain an ANSI C program that decodes any raw image from any digital camera on any computer running any operating system.

That program is called dcraw (pronounced "dee-see-raw"), and it's become a standard tool within and without the Open Source world. It's small (about 9000 lines), portable (standard C libraries only), free (both "gratis" and "libre"), and when used skillfully, produces better quality output than the tools provided by the camera vendor.

Here's my resume. I do freelance consulting related to dcraw, and I'm also available for full-time software work in the Northeast USA.

I can be reached by sending e-mail to cybercom dot net with the username "dcoffin".

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
imagemagic, OP

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Try GIMP. I haven't ever used it for raw formats, but it handles many file types, so hopefully it can do what you want. It doesn't support CMYK colours though, which might get in the way if you're using that.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

make one yourself with your nerd skills, op.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
instead of being a scrub tier and trying to convince yourself that some weird gui poo poo hiding dcraw is very professional and good just go with the standard that every photographer ever uses and use either lr or camera raw for photoshop

but if you're cheap the answer is lightroom since it's like 120 or 150 also please close this shameful thread

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i would prefer a medium rare image editor :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I bareback all my images op

• Locked thread