Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The Midniter posted:

Any non-religious reason why? That's an odd restriction, IMO.

Pork is religious; beef is health reasons. I'll eat them every now and again but I try to stay away from them. Besides, lamb is delicious.

justcola posted:

Definitely, I find lamb to produce most of the offal I eat. Heart is an excellent way to begin as it is a lot similar to something like a steak, but has it's own particular shape and taste. As an introduction I'd say leaving a lamb heart in a bowl of milk in the fridge for a few hours. Take it out, slice into strips and season before frying then serve with something simple like spinach and mushrooms. It's a good dish and you can get familiar with the anatomy of the heart, as its unlike any other meat really.

This sounds good but I'll have to forgo the milk bath. Maybe olive oil instead so it doesn't dry out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The 80s were a magical time.

While trying to find more info on this, I stumbled upon....

http://www.inthe70s.com/food/kentuckyfriedchickensribs0.shtml posted:

I worked for Kentucky Fried Chicken from 1973 into 1975 when I was in high school. During this time, we started selling pork ribs. After briefly using a brand of ribs I can't remember, we switched to Jimmy Dean and they were consistently good. The secret to the fantastic flavor was that the ribs were floured up with the original recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken flour and then fried under pressure. We would then saturate them with barbeque sauce and leave them in the warmer for a while to let the sauce properly soak in. They were great! I wish they would bring them back.

Breaded fried beef ribs is more horrifying to me then any internal organ.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This sounds good but I'll have to forgo the milk bath. Maybe olive oil instead so it doesn't dry out?

I don't know about heart but with kidneys I had very good luck with letting it soak in ice cold salt water for a couple of hours before cooking. I don't think olive oil would work because the point is to mute some of the off flavors that offal can have. That being said I've never bothered with a bath when I've cooked heart (though I've only used beef and elk, not lamb) because I find the iron-y, organy taste that many organs have is already pretty mild in heart.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
I've heard of eating pig bung but what about weiner? Seems like a nice hot dog ready to go direct from the source, right?

• Locked thread