Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chapter 24: The kidnappers unveiled.
You see, it all makes total sense now. What better way to win a friendly football match than to kidnap two teens in the host country? Perfectly explains the Greek willingness to accept last minute substitutions. Then they can return the two athletes superheroes just in time for Israel to triumph over Yugoslavia, thus winning the division and getting a ticket to the Olympics.
But how on earth can we prove it, particularly when Hebrew speakers *must* have kidnapped and blindfolded the two? Only by actually finding them – in Greece!

Chapter 25:– A meeting in Athens and Ranana's trick.
Shoa, Ranana and the surviving members of the school team accompany the national team to Athens. The Greek team welcomes them, and Ranana asks for two Hebrew-speaking Greeks to act as guides. As it happens, Dorian Navaros, the team representative, does know just the right people.

Chapter 26: – Shoa!
The national team and company stay at the Anabasis hotel in Athens. Xenophon Telamaius and Georgio Marathonus show up to act as guides. They've last been to Israel just a few… we mean, a few years ago.

This book is full of the kind of stupid that you actually have to know things to get… like you should have watched a football game to realize how retarded it is to imagine a teenage goalkeeper than can catch every single kick, and have interacted with a schoolchild at some point in order to… ok, my point is that the next part is just amazingly stupid by every measure, and stuck with me through the years.

quote:

'Well dear guides, let us go explore the ruins of Athens,' said Ranana.
'Shoa', replied Xenophone, gesturing towards the door.
'Say what?!' asked Shoa and Ranana in shock.
'Shoa', he repeated, politely inviting the two to step out before he did.
'Do you know what that word means?' cautiously asked Ranana. As certain idea seemed likely to her…
'Shoa is the new Hebrew words that means 'Please', isn't it?' replied Georgio.
'Yes', Ranana lied without a pause, 'but this word replaced 'Please' only a few weeks ago. How did you learn this, if your last visit to Israel was years ago?'
'Israeli tourists who had hired us as guides over the past few days taught us', quickly explained Xenophone.
'Oh!' replied Ranana, and stopped to conversation to wink meaningfully at Shoa and the rest of the school team. Obviously this was part of Alon and Rafi's master plan to signal would-be rescuers.

Chapter 27: – The torture cave.
Thankfully, the acropolis where the Parthenon is happens to overlook a series of caves the girls insist on exploring. In the middle of the spelunk, the entire school team grabs Xenophone and Georgio.

They are quickly reduced to sputtering "we could have gotten away with it how did you ever find out?", but assure our heroes that they will never tell where the young athletes are held until the match is over.

Ranana cunningly separates the two, and tells each she's going to torture the other to death, then go to work on the survivor. They refuse to talk. She walks away, promising that they'll hear the others screams soon enough.
Then she walks into the middle of the cave, hidden from both, and make a terrible coyote yowl, terrifying the poor kidnappers.

Chapter 28:- Thucidydes st 10
Ranana screams for a long time, while staring at her watch. The game started had already, yet they're no nearer to finding Alon and Rafi. Dani, guarding Xenophone, is listening to a transistor radio, and is horrified to discover the score is already 4-0 in favor of Greece.

Ranana rushes towards Xenophone, and tells him that Georgio has just been tortured to death. Shall they start torturing him as well?

The two are held at Thucidydes 10.
Ranana lets Xenophone know that Georgio is fine, then yowls at him "saucily" by way of demonstration.
Xenophone was fooled by those wacky kids promising to torture him and his friend to death. How embrassing. Regardless, there's nothing they can do now!
We'll see. All eleven students rush for the nearest cab, pile into it, get to Thucidydes 10 within a paragraph, and overwhelm the guards in a single sentence.
Not time to explain how they got here – Alon and Rafi must get to the game on time!
Their original cab driver went off to call the police, but they (all 13 of them) pile into another cab and call out "Stadium!" as the one Greek word they have in common.

Chapter 29: Greece victorious

Bundy approached the Greeks earlier that day, to reinforce their agreement for a last moment replacement. Being imbeciles, they found that not the least bit suspicious.

The Israelis “fight like lions”, but there’s only so much a national team can do without being reinforced by teenagers. Five goals in 40 minutes is the score as our heroes race towards the stadium. Bundy is waiting for the with the team uniform in hand. The school team surrounds our heroes, and they change without even entering the locker room.

Barakai and Golani happily change places with the young athletes, and the second half starts.

Chapter 30: : The great turnaround

The Kol Israel anchor cannot believe his eyes.

quote:

It seems as though two new players have suddenly joined the Israeli team – Alon and Rafi, the wonder-players of the school team, who’ve been kidnapped a week ago and remained missing till this very moment! Alon replaces Golani, and Rafi stands in for Brakai. Let us hope that this change will cause the miracle our team needs this day!

There’s the whistle… the second half has started. Oziris has the ball, he’s passing Alon… what’s happening? What is it? Alon has the ball!

He makes a pass to Hason.. Hason passes back to Alon, and… Goal! Goal!! GOAL!!! The first goal for the Israeli team in the first minute of the second half, with powerful kick from Alon from 40 meters away. The entire team rushes forward to hug and kiss him. The Greek goalkeeper is pounding his gloves against his head, as though unable to understand how the goal passed him by.

The Greeks are kicking off… Oziris kicks to Necrias Bellasarius, the Greek right forward… he passes own to Darius. Darius to Oziris. Oziris to Syrius. Back to Oziris… he kicks towards the corner… goal! No! No! Not a goal! Rafi has the ball, which seemed utterly unstoppable!

[Someone kicks to someone else who kicks to Alon]… the Greek defender Cupidos Maramaika faces him… Alon passes him by… Goal! Goal!! Goal!!! The second Israeli goal in four minutes.

[So yeah, we get an entire half described this way. Highlights:] Our worn out players have been reborn with a new energy… the Greeks are playing defensively, trying to maintain their edge… [five goals latter] A major foul by Oziris against Alon…. The judge sticks with a warning… an argument between our players and the judge, but the game goes on… another obvious foul by Oziris… the judge goes beyond a warning this time… a penalty kick at 35 yards! [Preparations] in an amazing penalty kick, Alon passed the ball over the Greek wall, into the corner of the goal.

Alon is facing off against Oziris… Oziris falls… the crowd roars with rage… I believe Oziris is pretending to be hurt… he limps away… the judge is convinced and awards a penalty kick [it’s 8-5, so the tension isn’t really that high] no goalkeeper had ever stopped a penalty kick from Cupidos. He rushes the ball like a mad bull… kicks… and Rafi stops it! Ladies and gentlemen, Rafi had stopped a ball the eye couldn’t quite follow in flight.

At the very last minute of the match, Alon had scored Israel’s tenth goal! The judge whistles a stop to the game. Forgive me, but I can say no more… I’m too verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

Chapter 31:: A humble celebration.

quote:

After a few days, our merry band gathered in the national teams training camp in Natania, to celebrate the wonderful victory against Greece in a close circle of friends. Once they’ve eaten and drank to their hearts content, Alon stood, gestured for everyone to pipe down, and said:

“Fellas, Mr Bundy asked me to speak of the most wonderful moment I and Rafi experienced during this fateful contest. As for me and for Rafi, I say that the most wonderful moment wasn’t during the match itself, but while we were imprisoned at Thucydides street 10, knowing the match had started, but believing that we would not get to participate. Only the handkerchiefs dropped from our pockets near the Lod airport as we were flown away to Greece in the Greek teams plane, and the word “Shoa”, dropped into the ears of our kidnappers as the new Hebrew word for “please” when we talked to them [this is all verbatim, just in case you weren’t following the repeatedly stated plot] gave us hope that we would be rescued. Just as we were about to despair, the door was broken open by Shoa, Ranana, and the rest of the gang, to make our dream come true!

And those are the final words of the book. Shouldn’t a high-schooler know enough about essay composition to at least go “and that was the most wonderful moment blah blah blah”? Never mind a published author?

Afterword and the future of this thread

This book had twenty sequels. 20. Some wikpedia plot summaries:

Alon in a trap: Alon joins the Yugoslavian team, as he needs the money for a series of surgeries to save his father’s life.

Goal… not!: Alon faces off against the Israeli team. Every time he kicks, the anchors scream “Goal! Wait, no!” as Rafi stops the ball. Golani finally manages to score a goal and win the game 1:0. Alon discovers that the doctor is willing to complete the rest of the surgeries pro bono, and returns to Israel.

The peace team won’t give up: Hamas try to murder team by blowing up their plane with liquid dynamite, which Rafi ends up drinking, but he parachutes out of the plane to make sure it doesn’t explode. While the search for Rafi in the wilderness goes on, Israel faces off against the UK team.

I rather thought this book was the right kind of insane (and illuminating about certain issues), but maybe not. Since I finally finished at least one book, we can drop the thread where it rests, or have a look at some early Russian sci-fi, which some people have expressed a greater deal of interest in.

I wouldn’t mind reading through Tolstoy’s Aelita (Russian revolutionary travels to Mars and falls in love with a communist Martian princess) or The Garin Death-Ray (one man with a freaking laser-beam takes over capitalist society)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread