Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Milan's 16 year old goalkeeper knocked out his own center back with his knee last match and the medical response was appropriate and nobody is bitching and moaning about any of it which is why Serie a is good.

Well to be fair, Alex was out cold and there was no way he could continue. The hand wringing comes in when a player is woozy or dazed but is still able to stand upright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cech your privilege.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
After the worldcup draw every qualified team should randomly receive a draft number and the all teams each get to draft one player from a nation that didn't make the world cup.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Seltzer posted:

After the worldcup draw every qualified team should randomly receive a draft number and the all teams each get to draft one player from a nation that didn't make the world cup.

Sorry, not as good as my idea to have a team made of players who didn't qualify participate.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
relevant to this thread:

The Joy of Six: bad ideas in football

http://gu.com/p/4hnt3

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

jyrka posted:

Sorry, not as good as my idea to have a team made of players who didn't qualify participate.

I'd posit my idea is more exciting, though team x would be good as well. Imagine Portugal with Aubameyang, Argentina with Cech, the United States with anyone. Limitless possibilities.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Let's take inspiration from other sports.

Tennis: No time limit, first team to get a two goal lead wins. Also multiply the score by 15 to make it more exciting.

Hockey: Have an international championship every year with promotion and relegation. Make sure Americans don't care about it.

UFC: At half-time, the two captains compete in a cage match. Ireland is automatically placed in the World Cup finals.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

A good idea from Raymond Verheijen:

quote:

Do the international games in bigger blocks. Play all your games in four weeks, for example. One summer you play four weeks of qualifying games, next summer you play the tournament. When you don't play national team games in the season, the season is a bit shorter. At the end of the season you have more time for national team games. That is much better than this flying up and down all the time. You have more space in the season so you don't have to play that many midweek games - all the league games would take place on the weekends.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Agree? Disagree? Discuss! :)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

jyrka posted:

Agree? Disagree? Discuss! :)

I agree that it would be much better for us, and national team managers might like it too since they'd get uninterrupted time with the players. I think international-level players might balk that they would never get time for an extended holiday to go gently caress Instagram models in Miami.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

I agree that it would be much better for us, and national team managers might like it too since they'd get uninterrupted time with the players. I think international-level players might balk that they would never get time for an extended holiday to go gently caress Instagram models in Miami.

Yes, I agree that there would be a risk that some players would withdraw but I think there is enough pressure to show up for 'patriotic reasons' that it wouldn't turn into a farce. I don't think anyone wants to lengthen the season as player need to be away from football. Right now there are 40 Saturdays between the start and end of the Premier League season. I think with a few mid-week matches, they could shorten the season and add on the qualifying tournament in a way that it wouldn't be longer than what we have now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

A good idea from Raymond Verheijen:

This is essentially the ACN if you think about it, and we all hate that. I guess if everyone was doing this it would be different, I kind of like the idea so we can get all this poo poo out of the way.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

This is essentially the ACN if you think about it, and we all hate that. I guess if everyone was doing this it would be different, I kind of like the idea so we can get all this poo poo out of the way.

Well the reason we all hate the ACN is because it's done during the European leagues' season and takes players away from clubs. If the ACN was held in the northern hemisphere summer it wouldn't be an issue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If they add on off season qualifiers some players will literally never get a rest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Well the reason we all hate the ACN is because it's done during the European leagues' season and takes players away from clubs. If the ACN was held in the northern hemisphere summer it wouldn't be an issue.

I completely misread the post, for some reason I thought it was suggesting taking a big break during the season to do this even though it explicitly states "in the summer".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm genuinely shocked he's had a good idea and not just talking bollocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The national associations have always seemed to be opposed to this suggestion as they believe that doing so would have an effect on revenue through the year. Countries with a national stadium argue that having fixtures through out the year is vital for keeping them operating, and there seems to be a concern that it would have an effect on replica kit sales. Of course they also argue that fixtures through the year are better for player development, and also that it means that the best teams will come out on top across qualifying instead of being the teams that find a run of form or aren't hit by a sudden injury crisis at one point in the summer.

International break weeks are the loving worst though, so I would much prefer this.

• Locked thread