Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. I'm done with this thread too. Between the accusations of any argument being childish and the slippery slope arguments, TFR is in full swing.

Well I know I'm certainly now persuaded that my accusations of childishness were baseless. How could I not be by this parting shot where you declare yourself above the debate because people didn't accept that invoking a logical fallacy, which you appear to fundamentally misunderstand, was a bulletproof counter to any and all criticism of your proposed policy's easily anticipable effects? Pity you couldn't muster any other defenses.

edit: mind you this post is definitely a bit childish on my part, but come the gently caress on man

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mo_Steel posted:

But don't you see, we should be handing guns to violent criminals en masse so that they won't resort to using arson to kill people. If you're a convicted felon you should be required to carry a firearm at all times.
I gotta admit that the argument of "this horrible massacre wouldn't have happened if the criminal had had a gun" was new and amazing, and seemed to point to a magical realm of howling madness ending in The Bullet Farmer from the recent Mad Max film.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Let's be real though, it was highly unlikely any of us were going to introduce novel ideas to a discussion that's been going on since the Johnson administration.
Yeah true

Genocide Tendency posted:

Repeating the same poo poo endlessly is a valid strategy when it has yet to be proven wrong.
I was actually asking, if a little awkwardly, about standards of proof earlier. I would submit that there is no standard of proof, because you have an axiomatic standpoint which, by definition, cannot be challenged. Fixed and impervious, reason is meaningless, for you know a Grand Truth, and no mere collection or agglomeration of puny "facts" could assail it. If they should seem to say something that is not in accord with that jutting invincible cylinder of Truth, then they are obviously false and lying shills.

I envy you, not for your guns, but for the strength, purity and passion of your faith.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Let's be real though, it was highly unlikely any of us were going to introduce novel ideas to a discussion that's been going on since the Johnson administration.

D&D should be able to have a thread that even tangentially relates about guns without the usual forums invasion of the same old TFR shitposters who ruin every one of them with their pathological inability to fight whatever weird Freudian urge prevents them from ignoring the slander of the noble Gun.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think this is the worst kind of wishful thinking. You can tell yourself that Heller is naturally going to be overturned, but there is absolutely nothing in the way of precedent or reasoning that would suggest this will happen. It took literally decades for the Court to be willing to hear any case hinging on the 2nd amendment, and Heller was rapidly followed by McDonald vs Chicago which went even further towards incorporating the Second Amendment against the States than Heller.

Heller was 5-4. All that takes to get rid of that lovely decision is Scalia choking on his own bile during a Democratic administration. It took literally decades for right-wing legal partisans to shove through their distorted and ahistorical reading of the 2nd Amendment, that's not a sign of the strength of the case they've made but of its weakness.

KaiserBen posted:

Given that 35-50% of US households have guns, I'm not so sure we're as much "outsiders" as you think.

35-50% if you have a time machine. For those of us confined to the present, it's 35% and falling. And that 35% includes millions of households with a hunting rifle or a shotgun in the back of the closet. Gun nuts represent a fraction of that, but a few fanatics are capable of wreaking a great deal of damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

D&D should be able to have a thread that even tangentially relates about guns without the usual forums invasion of the same old TFR shitposters who ruin every one of them with their pathological inability to fight whatever weird Freudian urge prevents them from ignoring the slander of the noble Gun.

Yeah I hate it when people post in threads that are about a subject that they feel strongly about. What a bunch of jerks.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The Insect Court posted:

I find others disagreeing with me distressing and wish that D&D gun threads were an echo chamber of posters crying "guns are bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
One day there will be a good gun thread

• Locked thread