Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Problem description: My desktop is shutting down suddenly during use and then starts back up again. On the most recent time it happened it turned on but didn't even post. Not even to BIOS. On my most recent attempt to start it up again I don't get the BIOS screen. I THINK it's an over heating issue but it shouldn't be able to start back up if that's the case? My new theory is that it might be the graphics card overheating since it seems to happen when I am playing a game, but it has happened when i just have it on the desktop a few times too.

Attempted fixes: I did take it to someone else to see if they could see if it is an overheating issue but all they did was clean out some dust that was in it after I already dusted out the the fan and heat sink.

Recent changes: No recent changes that would cause this I think.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 8 64bit

System specs: Gateway FX6840-15e

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Check the CPU temperatures with RealTemp and GPU temperatures with the GPU-Z sensors tab. Poweroffs are usually related to either overheating or a failing power supply, so if temperatures look good replace the power supply.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I let the computer sit for about a week. (Laziness mostly) today I tried to start it up to run the temp checks. Turned it on and still nothing, not even boot to BIOS. gently caress, did I fry my processor?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

So I let the computer sit for about a week. (Laziness mostly) today I tried to start it up to run the temp checks. Turned it on and still nothing, not even boot to BIOS. gently caress, did I fry my processor?

Probably more likely that the PSU, motherboard or RAM died.

• Locked thread