Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm planning to visit Los Angeles with my girlfriend for 4 days at the end of September/start of October and want to get some advice and recommendations seeing as there isn't a thread about LA.

I'm from Phoenix and have been to LA a few times, however only as part of trips organized by other people so I haven't really traveled around the city on my own. What is there to do besides going to the beach or being a gigantic tourist in Hollywood? We're planning to see a concert at the Hollywood Bowl (Duran Duran :woop:) one night, but otherwise have no plans whatsoever.

What's the best way of getting around the city? I've always had a car for as long as I've lived in Phoenix so I'm used to driving around sprawling metro areas, but completely unfamiliar with how much other forms of transportation cost. I'm assuming that public transportation, while cheap, is ineffective due to the size of the city, and it would probably be far cheaper to rent a car than try using Uber/Lyft there (even sparingly). What should I know about driving around LA besides the fact that the highways are really parking lots and the drivers are generally horrible jerks (at least all the Californians in Phoenix are)?

Anything else in particular to know about the city? Things to avoid? Must dos? Cool restaurants?

We're not operating on a strict budget or anything, but aren't trying to go crazy either, so no need to only recommend sightseeing/free stuff. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You definitely want a rental car. And yeah, all the drivers are jerks. But I actually like that. When you know everyone else on the freeway is going to be an rear end in a top hat it is easy to plan around that and drive accordingly.

If you like art, I'd recommend the Getty. Catching a late night show at the UCB theater can be fun as well.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 8, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You gotta be much more specific in your interests, especially related to food. Also where are you staying?

Driving isn't bad, I find drivers in DFW to be far bigger assholes than LA. It all depends on where you're going and when. Waze helps a ton with making sure you don't take the worst way to get somewhere.

More and more people I know are sticking to Uber rather than renting a car, as gas + parking ends up adding up, not to mention if you want to go out and drink you'll need a cab anyways. But if you have plans to jaunt up to Malibu, or down to Disneyland, it likely makes sense to have a car.

Fun day trip if you've got a car: Morning, grab breakfast whereever, I recommend CoFax on Fairfax for their breakfast burrito + cold brew. Make an early reservation at the Getty villa, hang out for a few hours. Then drive north on PCH to Reel Inn for lunch. Eat fish. Then keep heading north and go to Matador beach, hang out for a few hours.

Edit: If you drink in Hollywood it is worth grabbing an uber to El Chato taco truck for the Al Pastor burrito + chicken taco or tripe taco. They are only open 9p-3a, I think Mon - Sat. Olympic and La Brea in the parking lot of an auto body shop.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 9, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Most important thing is don't try to do everything and drive too much. LA is great to live in because when you live there you know how to meter your life around the traffic. People who visit LA don't know the rules and spend their whole vacation stuck in traffic and hate it. (Most simple rule #1, think of a way to stay put 4:30 - 7 pm, especially going through downtown or anywhere on the west side)

LA is a great eating city for cheap food. A good start is to look at the Jonathan Gold top restaurants list (many are cheap) for places to eat near where you're going. Both Gettys are a lot of fun doing either would be good. There are good places to go for a short hike in the hills, look into Will Rodgers State Park. Don't go to Hollywood Blvd, It's boring. If you have time Huntington Gardens in Pasadena is super nice, also the Norton Simon museum is the best collection for it's size in town.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 9, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

All of those are great suggestions. Make reservations for the Getty Villa in advance.

If you don't mind driving around and want to eat A LOT -- this is kinda fun. You really should have 4 people though: http://luckypeach.com/a-dumpling-crawl-of-las-san-gabriel-valley/

• Locked thread