Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Problem description:
I have a PC (Windows 7 64-bit) and Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8.1) that I want to be able to share files back and forth with. I cannot for the life of me get the Surface to connect to shares or see any shared files/folders on my PC. The PC can see and browse files on the Surface just fine and Steam is automatically working between the two with home sharing. The surface can see the PC name in the homegroup, but any attempt to browse actual files results in a "Windows cannot access \\PCNAME" network error.

Attempted fixes:
Made sure both computers have the same account username
Made sure both computers are in the same workgroup
Recreated the homegroup from scratch
Removed password from the PC
Disabled ESET Smart Security firewall on PC
Turn off password protected file sharing on both machines (Homegroup settings)
Restarted everything between these changes

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
The Surface Pro 3 is a new purchase that I'd like to network

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Is your Windows 8.1 device linked to a Microsoft account?

• Locked thread