Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
I know in this forum we like to discuss advanced cooking techniques (Sous Vide, anyone?) but we were all college aged at one time or another. What are some of the foods you've enjoyed raw when they are traditionally cooked? I will post a few, and I confess that I can see if anyone finds these at the least unclassy and at the most gross!

My friends think I'm insane, but I've always enjoyed pineapple raw. Something about the crisp crunch and acidic tartness is just really pleasant to me. Another is carrots, I can't seem to get enough of that earthy, mildly sweet flavor!

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. What foods do you eat straight out of the larder? Apples? Broccoli? Bananas? Post foods that are cooked while in pleasant company, but in private you would consume raw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
sometimes when I dink too much to make the microwave work good I just eat the spam right oug of the can you can even use the lid as a little spoon if your fingers are too dirty but careful you don't cut yourself!!

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I realize that saimen (known as 'ramen' to the gastroplebs) is meant to be boiled in water, but crushed and sprinkled with the packet of flavor salt is surprisingly good and adds a nice crunch to salads, cheesy potatoes, etc

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I know most people prefer pickles, but there's just something about cucumbers that I can't resist. The crisp clean crunch with a bit of salt is so different from most peoples expectations of dill, garlic and vinegar.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

I know most people prefer pickles, but there's just something about cucumbers that I can't resist. The crisp clean crunch with a bit of salt is so different from most peoples expectations of dill, garlic and vinegar.

i've read a lot of weird things but i don't know if this is something i can get behind :nms:

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I really enjoy a good, raw potato. There's nothing like the great snap you get just chomping down into that son of a bitch. The best foods fight you on the way down.

And on the way out.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
anybody else eat raw tomatoes by themselves? sprinkle some salt and pepper and eat it straight up, it's amazing, you don't have to make tomatoes into spaghetti

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
I once knew a gal who asked me if I wanted raw dog -- no thank you missy, I don't eat that ching chong food

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Jesus Christ posted:

anybody else eat raw tomatoes by themselves? sprinkle some salt and pepper and eat it straight up, it's amazing, you don't have to make tomatoes into spaghetti

I know in the US spaghetti is a uniform term but you should really say "marinara" to be clear.. the spaghetti itself is a cooked semolina noodle (though, I feel guilty saying this, has a delicious crunch when consumed raw!)

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I realize cooking sushi is probably more authentic, but i've found that raw fish adds a certain textural subtlety that makes the inside of the roll more chewy and engaging.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery
What the hell is going on in this thread? Raw pineapple, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, and sushi (I'm hoping this last one was meant to be sarcasm at least) are not "meant" to be cooked. People eat raw fruits and veggies all the time.

As for me, little pieces of freshly ground beef are delicious, but I don't do it much anymore for safety reasons, even if I'd probably be fine.

For baby skin I actually prefer to cook it though.

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 11, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Some people will probably give me dirty looks, but I stopped boiling my lunchmeat a couple years ago. Lazy I guess. A sandwich with turkey straight from the deli counter would make most barf, but I eat it straight from the bag sometimes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
poo poo threads

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
In all my years on SA, this is probably the worst thread I've ever read.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No, don't you see, it's funny because it subverts your expectations: you expected someone to admit to eating raw sausages, but instead they listed a load of fruit!

Classic pranking.

Epic lolz troll.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Why can't the poo poo posters just put a little bit of effort in?

E: :ironicat:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

poo poo threads

poo poo reply

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Cooked meat is for scrubs. I only eat raw meat aged at least 90 days in a mason jar :smuggo:

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

huh, looks like cheap dog food.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Isnt Hi-meant or whatever just meat with laccto-bacteria in oxygen deprived environments that are not dangerous?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, paleo diet, we should totally eat like cavemen did and embrace their ways excepting the walking 10-20 miles a day while hunting and gathering and the dying before 30 from rickets and scurvy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266265&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post372450711

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Isnt Hi-meant or whatever just meat with laccto-bacteria in oxygen deprived environments that are not dangerous?

cocksucking faggots vol 95 is a good one but I liked 96 even more

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pentyne posted:

Yeah, paleo diet, we should totally eat like cavemen did and embrace their ways excepting the walking 10-20 miles a day while hunting and gathering and the dying before 30 from rickets and scurvy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266265&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post372450711

Is eating non-wild plants considered cheating in Paleo?

Because realistically, they're all the product of years to millennia of human selection for favourable characteristics.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I'll change things up a bit with a serious reply: raw button mushrooms taste great, although they're supposedly toxic.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Agaricus bisporus? No they aren't, whoever told you that was talking bollocks.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Filboid Studge posted:

Agaricus bisporus? No they aren't, whoever told you that was talking bollocks.

Specifically: Agaricus genus contain agaratine which is a relatively weak carcinogen according to some similarly relatively weak studies. If you eat raw agaricus and give up smoking, you probably came out ahead in the deal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sometimes I add finely sliced button mushrooms to my deluxe tomato salad. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Stumpalitious posted:

I really enjoy a good, raw potato. There's nothing like the great snap you get just chomping down into that son of a bitch. The best foods fight you on the way down.

And on the way out.

Got into this myself recently, but I have to say I immediately got tired of constant diarrhea on the way out. Learned that the important part was to still peel them first, even if they are raw, and now it's doable. Still...might as well boil them at least and not have that much of a hassle with the skin beforehand...but yea, sometimes you just don't have the time for that.

• Locked thread