Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Problem description: First an Ultra LSP750 then a Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 500.

The first: I pressed the power button to wake the computer up, the power LED flickered once and then the computer shut off. I couldn't find any obvious shorts, the cable was fine, and I checked multiple outlets, but there was literally no response from trying to power it up after that. No lights, no post, etc. I've only had the power supply for about a year, so I figured it was just a crappy unit.

The second: I still had the 500w from before I got the LSP, so I threw that in. It powered up like normal and everything worked fine for several hours last night between watching movies and playing games. I go to wake it up this morning, and it does the exact same thing that happened with the first one (short LED blink, everything shuts off). As with the first, trying to power it on now doesn't do a thing.

Attempted fixes: Different power cords, different outlets, inspecting for shorts and loose connections

Recent changes: None, totally out of the blue
--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home 64 bit

System specs: LSP 750w/Coolermaster 500w, ASUS P7H55-M LX, Intel i3-530, EVGA GTX660ti, 8gb of unbranded DDR3 that I can't remember specifics for off the top of my head

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try again with a good quality power supply. It's not surprising that a low quality generic power supply failed, nor is it surprising that an older power supply didn't work either.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Welp, I managed to fix it. I finagled around a bit with trying different plug and supply permutations, and eventually figured out that both psus still work as long as I don't have my case's two front fans plugged in :confused:

Possibly a short in one of their leads?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Fans are pretty simple devices, make sure you don't have a splitter or speed controller hooked up incorrectly. That said, I STRONGLY recommend you pick up a decent power supply, treat this as a warning sign.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Will do, on both accounts. This rig was pretty much cobbled together with parts going unused by friends, so it could definitely use an update. Thanks for your input!

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2015

• Locked thread