Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status/1709997447534018780
https://twitter.com/aethelred/status/1709918261804949812

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Burkina Faso over the last few weeks has seen less incidents but more deadly. Bit hard to make out all the details but it seems over a hundred civilians were slaughtered in an attack by the military in the central north. Not sure if the terrorists attacked and the counter-attack resulted in collateral casualtlies.

Also ~30 Russian soldiers turned up in Ouagadougou to assist. No Wagner but regulars including medics.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Burkina Faso over the last few weeks has seen less incidents but more deadly. Bit hard to make out all the details but it seems over a hundred civilians were slaughtered in an attack by the military in the central north. Not sure if the terrorists attacked and the counter-attack resulted in collateral casualtlies.

Also ~30 Russian soldiers turned up in Ouagadougou to assist. No Wagner but regulars including medics.

Link? Regular Russian soldiers is... peculiar.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

This is through colleagues/contacts that pass through Ougua. I seen a Russian VIP plane (IL-62) at the airport a few months ago and Russia has agreed to help Burkina build a nuclear power station so not terribly surprised.

I can link the nuclear news at least..https://www.bbc.com/news/world-afri...post_type=share

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

May I ask your line of work that your colleagues come across these things?

And lol at a nuclear plant in Burkino. I'm sure that will be well built, well maintained, well operated etc

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Ethiopia is also still not doing so well. Just like Oromia has had a low-to-mid level insurgency for the last several years, now large swaths of Amhara do too. There was major fighting in the streets last week, with people (unclear if fighters or civilians) gunned down and left in the roads. Apparently the battle in Lalibela went on for about 6 hours, with ENDF using heavy weaponry from the city. No major structural damage and civilians mostly stayed afterwards so it sounds like more of a "raid" style attack from Fano, but who knows. Certainly doesn’t get much reporting, I guess it’s old news by now and largely drowned out by Gaza.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
How do folks follow news from the continent? Any feeds, sources, etc. that are recommended?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Economist has a weekly Africa section which is very good. Covers conflicts, politics, economics, etc with lots of on the ground reporting.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I wrote a post way upthread with a bunch of sources, I haven’t been reading about Africa as much lately but it should still be good.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

So Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso have issued a blunt communique informing they are pulling out of ECOWAS. The charter says it should require a year's notification but the notification came seemingly without consultation with other countries. Highlights how unpredictable these governments are.

Not sure what it means for their use of the CFA, customs and the like. All three are landlocked nations requiring support of ECOWAS nations just for food and power so it seems a pretty brave (deluded? desperate?) move.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

So Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso have issued a blunt communique informing they are pulling out of ECOWAS. The charter says it should require a year's notification but the notification came seemingly without consultation with other countries. Highlights how unpredictable these governments are.

Not sure what it means for their use of the CFA, customs and the like. All three are landlocked nations requiring support of ECOWAS nations just for food and power so it seems a pretty brave (deluded? desperate?) move.

They were already suspended from ECOWAS, so I'm not sure how much of a practical difference it makes. Good question about CFA; anyway there are already 2 CFAs that are pegged to the same amount but are not compatible, so might as well add in a third. Mali has been suspended for years already with no effect on CFA.

Either that or they go full "de-neocolonialization" and print a new currency that they use to compete with 2010's Zimbabwe and 1920's Germany for world's most inflationary currency. Or, maybe somewhat more likely, the less basket case countries in W Africa finally make their new currency, and ditch the CFA along with Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

In other news, the trial of Pascaline Bongo (Omar's daughter and Ali's sister) for a 70 million Euros corruption machine in France (involving the French Company Egis Route) started today. Francis Ping, the son of the former president of the African Union is also sued in the same affair. Former miss France Sonia Rolland and french bank BNP are also accused of complicity. It's apparently involving most of Omar's old Francafrique connections.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Saladman posted:

They were already suspended from ECOWAS, so I'm not sure how much of a practical difference it makes. Good question about CFA; anyway there are already 2 CFAs that are pegged to the same amount but are not compatible, so might as well add in a third. Mali has been suspended for years already with no effect on CFA.

Either that or they go full "de-neocolonialization" and print a new currency that they use to compete with 2010's Zimbabwe and 1920's Germany for world's most inflationary currency. Or, maybe somewhat more likely, the less basket case countries in W Africa finally make their new currency, and ditch the CFA along with Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger.

They weren't suspended, just being sanctioned by the other countries within it. Agreed that they could not hope to launch their own currency, despite how minerally wealthy they think they are. They do think themselves fabulously wealthy, mineral wise and it is only that other countries taking it that is the problem. This is despite having a handful of mines in each vs say Australia which has a handful of mines that generate more revenue individually than all of theirs combined plus several hundred more smaller ones. They also don't realise that the governments of each of those countries take the biggest cut of the revenue from internationally operated mines within their borders.

Another development a bit more worrying is that terrorists in northern Burkina have learnt from the Ukr/Rus conflict and have added drone dropped hand grenades to their techniques on top of the IEDs which they are using closer to Ouaga than they were before.

Also evidently the Russia Africa Corp has suffered casualties patrolling in the north of Burkina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

They also don't realise that the governments of each of those countries take the biggest cut of the revenue from internationally operated mines within their borders.

what makes you say this?