Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Evening / Morning fellow goons, I am a non rider and have fallen down the rabbit hole.

I did dirt bikes as a kid, but it was at a cousins house and I never had to do the maintenance or upkeep. "Here's the stuff, don't die."

A few years back I helped a friend transport a 1991 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 he bought to his house. Years pass, he buys a house and has a kid.

A week ago, I help him move his stuff to a new house When it comes to the bike, which now has a blanket of dust and 2 flat tires, he says, "Take it home with you. I don't have time for that poo poo."

I find out that his wife got pissed that he bought it and threw out the title before he could get it transferred into his name. He never contacted the previous owner to get a copy of it.
He also lost the keys to the drat thing. So I now have a two wheeled paperweight sitting in my garage. The seat is locked so I can't even get at the battery. I knew it ran when he bought it (I was there at the time of purchase so I know he didn't steal it.). I also don't want to mess too much with this thing until I can get my hands on a title and legally prove that it is mine.

What options do I have here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Which state are you in? This is probably going to be a really nasty process because you're looking to get a title off of a guy that never officially owned a bike, and the previous owner probably thought the thing was all wrapped up and has forgotten about it by now. Does he have a bill of sale from the previous (titled) owner? How many years ago was this, exactly?

You're pretty much right about having a 2-wheeled paperweight at this point. If I were you I'd be looking up the lost title procedures for vehicles in your state, and I would not put a dollar into this bike until you are certain you can get it road-legal again. To be honest, depending on how long this thing has been sitting, the carbs will probably be full of varnish by now, I imagine the tires have huge flat spots and the fork seals as well as other rubbery bits are probably really suspect at this point. Without a title you're probably looking at a lost cause unless you're satisfied with trying to track the bike or use it off-road in some capacity (which honestly is "not much" for a street oriented bike like the EX500).

Just do yourself a favor now and get the title stuff cleared before even touching it mechanically. Act like washing it is a waste at this point.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/

Take a look at this. Its a titling process for bikes under 500cc. I have a feeling you might be able to get the title this way if you just plate it in Vermont.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Usually you can establish a bond in lieu of a title, but varies by state. Nthing the recommendation to get that sorted out before you even touch the bike.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

After some google fu I have tracked down the previous owner and contacted her about it. The title is still legally in her name and offered her a hundred bucks to get a copy of it done and have it notarized etc. Jury is still out on if she is going to be a pain about it or not.

The bike has not been turned over since January of 2013. I reinflated the tires and they seem to be holding air so far. My biker neighbor gave it a once over and bounced on it a bit, he thinks the forks are still good.

Now I wait I guess...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MrDesaude posted:

I reinflated the tires and they seem to be holding air so far.
Nope. They're hosed.

quote:

My biker neighbor gave it a once over and bounced on it a bit, he thinks the forks are still good.

Nope. The seals are hosed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Eh seals could be ok, but the tires will definitely need to be replaced on age alone.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
1. Sell the bike on craigslist as (for parts) for a couple hundred bucks.
2. Use that money as a downpayment for a superduke running ninja 250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

IMO, totally worth it to get it running, just because a running but old ninja 500 is worth about 1k, and a non-running, untitled one is worth about $100.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Z3n posted:

IMO, totally worth it to get it running, just because a running but old ninja 500 is worth about 1k, and a non-running, untitled one is worth about $100.

This. Anything that runs that has a title and isn't a 2-wheeled hairshirt is worth at least $700-$1000. However when you consider what your time is worth your $/hr most likely won't be high unless you get lucky and get it running with minimal effort. Not a deal breaker, but do it if it sounds like a fun project, not with the intention of making fat stacks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's a bike with such a huge following and pretty decent availability for parts that it shouldn't break the bank to fix it up. Check out ex-500.com for help. Anything that can be done with them and every problem you'll run into has probably been documented there pretty well. And by the time you finish fixing it up, you'll know everything about it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Minkee posted:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/

Take a look at this. Its a titling process for bikes under 500cc. I have a feeling you might be able to get the title this way if you just plate it in Vermont.

I titled a GS550 through Vermont to obtain Wisconsin plates. Basically if a motorcycle is 10 years old or older you can get no registration from Vermont. It'll take you three to four weeks and $70 to get plates and tags from the green mountain state then you just have to pass an inspection. Also, before you can send the paperwork to Vermont you need to have an authorized dealer or state patrol officer do a "VIN inspection" and stamp a forum that basically says yeah this is the VIN on the thing. Then you register it in your home state by converting it to a regular title with special paperwork.

Edit: Just read your followup post about finding the owner. Just put two TKC80 rear tires on it and ride it in the dirt.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 15, 2015

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

This is really turning into a royal poo poo show.

Previous "owner" comes clean on the whole thing.

Chick is a Bail Bondsman as well as a Notary. Sketchy dude offers up bike as collateral for a bond, signs the title over to her, she pays his bond.

Dude skips bail, and is probably in Mexico by now. She notarized the sale acting as a third party. This drat thing was never in her name. This Vin# is hosed short of opening an abandoned vehicle lien. Which in Ohio is a colossal pain in the rear end.

Option A: Ebay a frame that has a title for $100-300, and an Ignition for about 70. Get it put together and running on the new frame and take an angle grinder to the old one. Sell the drat thing.

Option B. Try to sell everything that doesn't have a VIN on it...

Normally I am not one to endorse spousal abuse. But my buddy's wife's tantrum has more than earned it. But I didn't pay poo poo for it so I really can't complain too much. I just hate having too many projects...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

[quote="MrDesaude" post=""447758326"]

Normally I am not one to endorse spousal abuse. But my buddy's wife's tantrum has more than earned it. But I didn't pay poo poo for it so I really can't complain too much. I just hate having too many projects...
[/quote]

gently caress is wrong with you?

If anyone is to blame, it's your buddy for buying a bike in a sketchy deal and not taking care of the title when he should have. Sounds like she had the right idea all along except for chunking the title and now you're pissed because your "buddy" is a shithead and left you holding the bag and part of their dispute.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

gently caress is wrong with you?

If anyone is to blame, it's your buddy for buying a bike in a sketchy deal and not taking care of the title when he should have. Sounds like she had the right idea all along except for chunking the title and now you're pissed because your "buddy" is a shithead and left you holding the bag and part of their dispute.

Jesus Christ man, Ok yeah, I hosed up on that one. just thinking with my hands it seems. That household is beyond fubar.

But at least wait for the guy to get the title transferred over before making it a paperweight. I am also feeling the dark presence of my wife on this issue. and full disclosure, I just got the poo poo slapped out of me for that post. Yay Karma.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MrDesaude posted:

Jesus Christ man, Ok yeah, I hosed up on that one. just thinking with my hands it seems. That household is beyond fubar.

But at least wait for the guy to get the title transferred over before making it a paperweight. I am also feeling the dark presence of my wife on this issue. and full disclosure, I just got the poo poo slapped out of me for that post. Yay Karma.

Well ok then if you're gonna go and be reasonable about it.

Seems to me that going through the lost title process would be easier than a big parts swap/part out. The one would take a year and sit under a tarp while the other would take a year and cover your garage with parts.

Alternately, you could wheel it out somewhere thefty and leave it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Alternately, you could wheel it out somewhere thefty and leave it.

I know a place.

MrDesaude- Don't complain. You got a free bike/chunk of parts. I'd be chuffed if someone dropped a decent bike in my lap, probably. Go through getting a title of some sort. It can't hurt to let it sit longer, though. Or sell it for a few hundred as is if the whole issue isn't something you want. Then get an actual bike and start riding.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Don't mistake my annoyance at the situation for a lack of gratitude lol. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm just at a loss as to what I'm going to do with this drat thing. Never look a gift bike in the mouth, my wife however, does not see it that way...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Go buy a Superduke while you sort this one out and she will forget all about that paperweight ex500.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Yerok posted:

I titled a GS550 through Vermont to obtain Wisconsin plates. Basically if a motorcycle is 10 years old or older you can get no registration from Vermont. It'll take you three to four weeks and $70 to get plates and tags from the green mountain state then you just have to pass an inspection. Also, before you can send the paperwork to Vermont you need to have an authorized dealer or state patrol officer do a "VIN inspection" and stamp a forum that basically says yeah this is the VIN on the thing. Then you register it in your home state by converting it to a regular title with special paperwork.
It's actually 15 old years or older, or under 300cc that you don't need to title in VT. And you don't really need to pass inspection to get it transferred to another state as far as I know, VT state inspections are done after registration and insurance are squared away, and it's just a sticker that goes on the forks to show that the bike is safe to ride. Hard to imagine why another state DMV would care about that. And the VIN inspection is a fairly uncommon thing (or maybe it is common if you're regging from out of state? I've never regged from outside of VT), I think they might only do that randomly or on bikes that have had frames dicked with and custom numbers put on them.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think the VIN verification is part of the title thing rather than the registration thing. I have some peripheral experience involving VIN verification and abandoned cars so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
How are the plastics? If you part it out you could make bank on eBay.

But first sell me the parts I need for my 93 ex500 to fix some PO fuckery. If it's red I may want some plastics too (my bike is a 93 wearing 91 plastics iirc)

• Locked thread