Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theologian
May 11, 2003

Gary Wintleson, I blow smoke upon you.
So I've been working with cameras for years, but always preferred natural lighting or simplistic lighting since I was never doing and portrait or K-Mart looking poo poo. I know lighting is more important than that, but I always like the appeal of a photo that looks like the scene I took it in.

Those times are over. Here's where you guys probably, as always, save my rear end. Hopefully.

I have to order some lights or strobes, depending on what will be best. Here is my scenario.

EQUIPMENT I'M WORKING WITH RIGHT NOW:
Canon 5D Mark III
24-105mm f/4L
40mm f/2.8
20mm f/2.8
Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
Canon Speedlite 430 EX II
1 huge reflector/reflector stand

SCENARIO:
So I'm going to be taking photos of people sitting on the lap of a huge loving 8 1/2 foot tall statue of Baphomet at a Satanic Temple Party (this should be interesting) in a very darkly lit huge warehouse. These photos need to look loving GOOD.

My budget is pretty good so if specific lenses are recommended, cool. But my main concern is ideally, how should I light this up to make it look nice, crisp, and professional? I want these people to look beautiful on the lap of Satan and I'm sure that they want to look beautiful too. If you could link to specific items on Amazon, that would rule too.

Any and all points are greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theologian
May 11, 2003

Bump for need urgent need of advice!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
have you tried hailing satan

theologian
May 11, 2003

dakana posted:

have you tried hailing satan

Yeah, to no avail. Inverted hail mary's aren't giving anything either.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This should be enough to get you started, Google "Gregory Crewdson lighting setup" for more help.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Otherwise buy an umbrella or two, look up Rembrandt and split lighting and spend a few hours practising with a friend before you have to do it for real.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

big scary monsters posted:

This should be enough to get you started, Google "Gregory Crewdson lighting setup" for more help.

Thanks, time to go shoot some Crewdsons!!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

The good thing is, he should be able to accomplish all this for the price of one profoto head. Just don't knock any of them over. Thanks China!

theologian
May 11, 2003

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm really liking the Rembrandt Lighting and think that its appeal might work best for what they're wanting. My only question is how would I attain this with such a large area? Most of what I'm seeing is for portraits of people. This is a 8.5 foot high by about 5 or 6 foot wide statue. So roughly 50 square feet of space. Any suggestions on specific lights? Constant lighting or strobes? Lenses? I'm trying to pile up an Amazon cart to purchase by mid-day tomorrow. Gonna try to get it one day shipped here.

Again, thanks for all the tips/direction!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did you take pictures of the statue? Where are the pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where are the pictures?

• Locked thread