Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Fat New York Goon visiting Nashville next month for a week. I'm big huge into music, especially live music, and I'm hoping to sit in on a few jams, as well as catch stuff like RCA Studio B and whatever other Historical Music things. Where should I stay? Which neighborhood will allow me to stumble back to my hotel/airbnb drunk with the most ease? Any specific recommendations? Thanks to goons!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
All the honky tonks downtown will have live music all the time and usually no cover. Robert's Western World is my favorite of the lower Broadway bars. That area is always crazy packed with drunk tourists. Downtown or the Gulch are the only areas really close to downtown but if you stay in midtown/music row/ Belmont it's possibly to walk back drunk (I've done it several times, I live near Belmont), but it's like 2 miles. Uber is really cheap in Nashville though.

The Station Inn is a cool old-school bluegrass bar in the Gulch, but check the schedule and there is usually a cover. The famous Bluebird Inn is actually a pretty great place to watch music but is full of tourists since the "Nashville" TV show started and is far from other stuff.

The Tim Carroll Rock and roll Happy Hour 6:00-10:00 Fridays at The 5 Spot in East Nashville is good live music and in a cool area.

And the Country Music hall of fame is pretty cool even if you're not super into country.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Thanks, that's awesome. Not going there strictly for country/bluegrass/dixieland, not by any stretch. Any places known for jazz? funk? Cover vs. no cover isn't terribly important either. And it's looking more and more like I'm just going to use rewards points to get into a chain hotel for free; which of the Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn are in the best location?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The downtown Hilton is right in the middle of all the country stuff and the Sheraton is close. The Hampton/Holiday Inns are a couple miles away but probably run shuttles.

The Ryman auditorium is a really awesome concert venue if there is something interesting there while you're in town. Third and Lindsley (a venue) might have some funk or Jazz stuff. The Basement (in the basement of a cool record store) or Basement East for undergroundish rock. the Stone Fox too. If you're in town 8/20 or later there's free concerts 4 consecutive Thursday's at Live on the Green, which is kind of huge.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Otis Reddit posted:

Thanks, that's awesome. Not going there strictly for country/bluegrass/dixieland, not by any stretch. Any places known for jazz? funk? Cover vs. no cover isn't terribly important either. And it's looking more and more like I'm just going to use rewards points to get into a chain hotel for free; which of the Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn are in the best location?

There is a Hampton inn off 3rd or 4th just south of Broadway. There is also a holiday inn on Broadway, but it's up the hill from the arena. On 10th I think? Still absolutely walking distance (even drunk) to all the bars downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
A lot of stuff is spread out, so stumbling isn't always an option, but that should not deter you as it's easy to cab/uber. Music just depends on what you are after and the night, so check the local paper/online in advance. If you do a bit of work you can definitely find something good any night of the week. Broadway is alright, but gets pretty corny, even for a tourist. Worth hopping around for a night though. East Nashville/Five points area also has some good bars so look into that area to check out.

• Locked thread