Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawn
May 24, 2008
I tried looking through the forum about this and did not see the topic. Though I do not have a Platinum account yet so I cannot search. But I am curious about starting a youtube channel. I have seen lots of channel about everything getting tons of views and people even make money doing this. Well I decided to possibly start one for casting my games. I play the games anyway so I might as well try. I have found Obsproject to record my games and I think I will start with just using windows movie Maker to edit the videos.

That is all I have figured out so far. The things I know I need to figure out are.
1. since games are protected under copy-write law is there anything special I need to do when casting me playing them.
2. What is the best way to bring people to your channel
3. would it be better to do all live recording on my mic or add commentary after I play and in editing.

Then I am sure there is a bunch of other things I have not even thought about. Can my fellow goons give me any ideas or pointer on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

You are going into a massively over saturated market my friend. Everyone and there loving dog has a let's play channel. Unless you really have some kind of talent or funniness you will fail.

1. You have to provide commentary over the game footage or it's straight up copy right infringement
2. At this point i have no idea. Every other person on Youtube has top quality equipment and is ready to whore out for money
3. Try both and see which works better for you

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you attractive? Are you a woman? Do you have a sparkling personality? Do you have 12 hours a day -- every day -- to record, edit, and finish videos? Do you play games no one else does, and play them well?

If you didn't answer yes to at least three of those questions, don't bother trying to start a gaming channel with the intent of making it big. Some has already beat you to the punch or will in a month. Just do what you do and make poo poo up as you go along.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I work in TV, I tell budding filmmakers that if you could make one good film a year or 12 crappy ones, it's in your best interest to make the 12 crappy ones.

Start your channel, do some game vids, they will suck but when your NEXT opportunity comes along you'll have something everybody else doing it doesn't have... experience.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
Here's everything you need to know about growing an audience on YouTube from the source. A former intern of mine followed these very steps. He now has over 800K subscribers. poo poo works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Are you attractive? Are you a woman? Do you have a sparkling personality? Do you have 12 hours a day -- every day -- to record, edit, and finish videos? Do you play games no one else does, and play them well?

If you didn't answer yes to at least three of those questions, don't bother trying to start a gaming channel with the intent of making it big. Some has already beat you to the punch or will in a month. Just do what you do and make poo poo up as you go along.

You forgot "Have a good voice".

• Locked thread