Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Problem description:
Our internet: It's basically a comcast like setup through a local company. Main modem is in living room and plugs directly into a 2port wall outlet (tv & internet). Two other bedrooms of our three bedroom house both have the same 2port wall outlet that connects to a Cable Box and a 1 port Wireless Router. These bedroom Routers in question are the Aris Vap2400 Wireless Video Access Point. The main one in the living room is a 4 port router that is much bigger. I can get the actual model if that makes a difference.

I am a gamer and wanted a better connection. I first tried just unplugging my bedroom router and connecting my computer directly to the wall outlet. While my internet worked, the Wifi shut off. My LAN connection had problems as well. Just not very stable and disconnected/reconnected often. I have a spare 4 port wireless router so I tried to hook that up instead. Basically it went: wall outlet to 4port router -> 4port router to the one port Aris Wifi router. Then I had another ethernet cord running from the 4port router directly to my computer. This seemed to work for a little bit before the Wifi stopped working and my roommates couldn't connect.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

As you can probably tell, I don't know much. I basically unplugged everything multiple times and tried setting up the network differently through control panel.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

See above.

Operating system: I'm running Windows 7 64bit. My roommates just have tablets and a PS3 Netflix machine.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Further Questions
1. What technically is a "Aris Video Access Point."
2. What I believe is happening, is that my LAN network takes over as the one main home network and shuts the other one down.
3. Is it possible through this type of system to even connect my computer directly, especially because i can NOT connect to the main one in the living room?

Please, can I have some suggestions on what to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So wait, you have an Ethernet jack in every room? Are those jacks live and currently connected to anything? From what you've described you have a main wireless network and then a wireless gateway in every room to connect wired devices to, but there wouldn't be live Ethernet jacks in your walls.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 20, 2015

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately I'm just terribly outdated when it comes to internet and networking hardware. I really could be botching words and everything, so keep that in mind.

Here is what it looks like in my room:

I really have no idea, but I think they are live Ethernet jacks. As I said, I connected an Ethernet cord from my computer directly into the wall port. The other cord (Oh poo poo there are three ports in the wall mount thing) goes to a "UPS Battery?" salvaged from Bill Gates Garage. It weighs about 25 pounds. Okay so one cord to the HD DVR Cable Box, one cord to the Arris Wireless Access Point (pictured below), and one cord to the Decepticon disguised as a white box thing. Other than the wall mount, and the power outlets, those three things are not connected by anything.

Arris Wireless Access Point. Please note that this was originally right next to everything else, but I moved it to my desk right next to my internal Intel WiFi receiver.

As for the living room, it has the Same wall mount. However there is no white box, a newer HD DVR Cable Box, and a Netgear N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabyte Router.

I really really hope that some of that makes sense to you because I am totally confused.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

10bux posted:

I am a gamer and wanted a better connection. I first tried just unplugging my bedroom router and connecting my computer directly to the wall outlet. While my internet worked, the Wifi shut off.

Bedroom router meaning the VAP?

When that computer is plugged into the wall I'd open cmd prompt and then type ipconfig /all and also tracert 4.2.2.2 and paste the results here.

10bux posted:

I have a spare 4 port wireless router so I tried to hook that up instead. Basically it went: wall outlet to 4port router -> 4port router to the one port Aris Wifi router. Then I had another ethernet cord running from the 4port router directly to my computer. This seemed to work for a little bit before the Wifi stopped working and my roommates couldn't connect.

What kind of router? You'd want to use a switch in this case as a router has other functions that would interfere with the internal network (they can be disabled if you wanted to try that though).

10bux posted:

1. What technically is a "Aris Video Access Point."

It allows you to get TV reception without having the typical cable box plugged directly into a coaxial cable of some sort. It uses the WiFi network inside the home. That might be why the WiFi stops working when you unplug it.

10bux posted:

The other cord (Oh poo poo there are three ports in the wall mount thing) goes to a "UPS Battery?"

Probably for electrical protection.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Zogo posted:

Bedroom router meaning the VAP?

When that computer is plugged into the wall I'd open cmd prompt and then type ipconfig /all and also tracert 4.2.2.2 and paste the results here.

Yes, it is a VAP. I just saw the wifi symbol and the Ethernet connection and assumed it was some kind of router to boost the internet signal throughout the house.

I will certainly do that as soon as I'm home from work.

zogo posted:

What kind of router? You'd want to use a switch in this case as a router has other functions that would interfere with the internal network (they can be disabled if you wanted to try that though).

As mentioned above, I'm currently at work but I can te you it is a wifi router from a previous TV/Internet deal at a previous house. The deal did not include a wifi router, it just included a modem. I don't know the brand or model off the top of my head but it is at least 5 years old.

I looked around for a splitter, switch, or anything really and the old router is all I could find. I'm not really looking to incur any extra costs, but I might change my mind if I get everything working.

zogo posted:

It allows you to get TV reception without having the typical cable box plugged directly into a coaxial cable of some sort. It uses the WiFi network inside the home. That might be why the WiFi stops working when you unplug it.

Hmmm that's interesting. It just seems strange that it's connected to the wall and can shut the whole internet down if unplugged.
It does make a little more sense now.

Also, when I have connected via LAN on my personal computer, the wifi network will continue being recognized on my PC, but nothing else in the house.

I'll post the results of the cmd response when I get home!

• Locked thread