Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightspeedJeebus
Apr 4, 2009
Hi everyone !

I'm going to Toronto for the first time this week and I'm looking forward to discover all the great food and drinks Canada's biggest city has to offer.

I'd like to try stuff that I can't find at home in Québec City (i.e. anything more "exotic" than French cuisine). I'll be staying downtown but I don't mind taking the subway/bus. I'll also have my car but I'd rather not drive unless it's really worth it.

I like my food muy picante so any indian/thai/ethiopian suggestions would be appreciated !

I'm willing to try anything and don't mind hole-in-the-wall joints.

Cheers !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I suggest asking the Toronto LAN thread, they're pretty good at recommending things usually, though not always. In addition, Yelp in Toronto is pretty accurate, at least for the high-end and low-end ratings (anything with 3 stars is a big "who the gently caress knows?!?"). There are a million places to eat, at a million price points, and finding recommendations to suit you specifically will require, well, more specifics. Its Toronto - you can eat pretty much anything, at any price point.

As for things that pop into my head - I've been happy with Parlour Foods Co. on King West for local, tasty, contemporary foods, and Against the Grain Urban Tavern for its beautiful lakefront patio. Gerrard St East has the Gerrard India Bazaar with a ton of restaurants (mostly South Asian, but not all), and if you're really wanting spicy I suggest just eating whatever they have on special at Suruthi's Take-Out on Parliament St (http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/suruthis-toronto). Its small, family owned Sri Lankan fare, and after you spend a few dollars for huge portions of spicy curries and rice you can spend another couple of dollars and walk out with meat rolls, samosas or spicy beef puffs. Everything is delicious [and spicy, very spicy].

Anyhow, go into the Toronto LAN thread, give them examples of what you're looking for (celebrity chefs, Filipino foods, $200 steaks, the 'best burger,' whatever) and they'll probably help out. Just don't eat at Bistro 422, which someone will eventually suggest. Goons with Spoons / Something Offal also has a thread for "food recommendations for cities that don't merit their own thread" which might be helpful as well.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I live in Toronto. I like this place called Utopia on College near Ossington, they have a pretty good veggie chicken wrap. There is an Ethiopian restaurant on College and Bathurst (It's a few metres away from Mars Food) that's pretty good. You've gotta try Banjara on Bloor and Christie, really good Indian food. Check out China Town, Mother's Dumplings on Spadina between College and Dundas has a good selection and is fairly popular amongst Torontonians. All these places are easily accessible. Check out Parkdale if you want some nice Tibetan food. Not sure of restaurant names though, I usually just wander about.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
House on Parliament. The basic menu is good if conventional pub food. What's really makes this place a destination are the specials. They're varied and very ambitious and I've never known anyone to have a bad experience with them. Rotating beer selection. Good but not a reason for a trip unto itself. It's a bit of a hike from downtown. You're going to want to go subway to college station-->streetcar east along Carlton (College and Carlton are the same street, which switches names at Yonge St.

Peter's Cajun Creole Pizza is a pizza place with a cajun menu and new orleans feel. And it's run by a Serbian man in Toronto. Their pizza is great. Their wings (dry rub, one kind, tips on) are the best I've had anywhere. This stuff is spicy for people who aren't in to spice, but someone with a mouth for hto will find it tasty rather than hot. Many people swear by their sandwiches, but I don't know as I have yet to manage to resist ordering the pizza or wings because they're so good. It's located approximately across the street from House on Parliament (just a little south, but not a lot - the neighborhood gets rough real fast going that way).

County General has great foot and interesting cocktails, if you can handle a hipster atmosphere. I love their fried chicken for two platter. My wife swears by their sea food platter, although last time we went it was gone from the menu. Two locations now, both require a streetcar ride along Queen (you can either go east or west, basically the same amount of time either way).

La Carnita is an great modern take on Mexican. Daily taco specials, hard to go wrong. Stay for desert. Their churros are great. Two locations, one east along Yonge, one west along College.

In terms of really spicy, I have few recommendations. I've had lousy experiences with Thai an Indian in this City. Salad King is legendary thai. You can get it as hot as you can take it. The food is cheap, and good for what you pay, but I would have a tough time recommending it as a destination. On the plus side, this is located just north of Dundas St. along Yonge (i.e. just north of the Eaton Centre).

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is this like a general Toronto thread? I was thinking of taking an LLM in the University of Toronto, but I know nothing about the city itself. Besides really cold weather, what can I expect from Toronto? Is it...fun? does it have an active nightlife? cultural events? interesting places around?

• Locked thread