Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Q: What in all the Hells?

FineSweeper is Minesweeper. It's not even a clone. It's Minesweeper.

Q: Yeah, but...

In the classic Minesweeper you are only given one chance, which works for a casual solitaire game, but Finesweeper adds two important rules that change the feels of the game and, if I'm frank, make it more fun.
  • Instead of one chance, you get up to Seven.
  • The game starts off on level one, which is super easy, and each level raises the density of mines, eventually making it impossible.

Q: But, it's Minesweeper!

That's not a question.

Anyway, as a great lover of Minesweeper, Finesweeper hits me in my addiction gland. I love this game so much, I will sometimes stop playing Skyrim to make time for it.

Q: Spoilers okay?

No!

DO NOT REVEAL THE SECRET ENDING OF MINESWEEPER TO YOUR FRIENDS!

Not even black boxing. To do so would summon the Eighth Quire of Nyarlathotep from the inner workings of Gabe Newell's intestine and they will sing the song that ends the world!

Q: That reminds me, when are you going to finish your Anchorhead LP?

Uh...

Q: Why should I watch?

Because I'm not just going to play Finesweeper, I'm going to teach you how to play, too.

Minesweeper has simple rules, but plenty of patterns and tricks on how to think about it. Eventually, Minesweeper turns into a 50/50 chance of blowing up, but now that we have multiple lives, that no longer feels unfair.

Still, I'm going to train you in every trick I know.
I've recorded myself playing Finesweeper from Level 1 to somewhere in the 40's (which always kills me) and will slowly step through what I'm doing and what I'm thinking.

My hope is that you can take my tips, load up Minesweeper, and beat your first Expert difficulty game!

If you don't want to pay for Finesweeper, here's a link to minesweeperonline.com

Q: How often will you update?

About one video a week.
Because I'm stopping in the middle of play to explain, this will be a heavily edited run of Finesweeper. That takes time and I have other things to do.
Once I'm done with my run, we'll see what else happens.

If you don't understand something I'm doing, just yell and I might include it in the next video.

Alright, that's enough talk. LET'S GO!

Videos
Part 1: Levels 1 - 14
Part 2: Levels 15 - 23
Part 3: Levels 24 - 32

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Looks interesting. Where does Nyarlathotep come in?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Looks interesting. Where does Nyarlathotep come in?

:stonk: NO SPOILERS! :stonk:

Do you want to tempt the Crawling Chaos?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That video was fun. But it tempts me to fall of the wagon and play minesweeper again.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

It got me to play Minesweeper again and it confirmed that yes, Minesweeper sucks when you only get one life.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving pussy rear end little bitches who need lives for minesweeper.

there's no danger, tension or thrill if you have multiple lives.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Grimwit posted:

:stonk: NO SPOILERS! :stonk:

Do you want to tempt the Crawling Chaos?

I dooooooo. :colbert:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'd never heard of Finesweeper, and this is a really cool look into the strategy behind minesweeper that I'd never really thought of before.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I never expected I could enjoy watching someone play Mine Sweeper ...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sue posted:

Then you missed the previous LP about it. :)

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Sue posted:

There are been some good LP's on Minesweeper here.
There was one where we all were in the Canadian Army learning to sweep for mines and dying left and right.

Meanwhile, Episode 2!

Part 2: Levels 15 - 23

Me thinks there maybe 5 parts to this total. After editing, I started realizing that you only need a few simple concepts and a hand full of patterns to win at Minesweeper. Eventually I'll get to a couple of strats that cover only Fine Sweeper.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's some fine sweeping there.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
cyoa finesweeper, a test of what we've learned.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Next new episode.

Part 3: Levels 24 - 32

In this video, I looked up some history about Minesweeper and how it got made and eventually put onto Windows 3.1.

Hope you enjoy.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I've found a minesweeper-ish clone called Mamono Sweeper.

The big difference between this and minesweeper is that each 'mine' is actually a monster with a power level. To kill the monsters you need to be the same level or higher. You get experience killing monsters(even if they are of a higher level), and you have HP that goes down if you kill a higher level monster.

You will open a tile, and the numbers refer to the total level of all surrounding monsters in any tiles. Also, if you've uncovered a monster you can click on it to get the number for his square for more information(Imagine asking the mines where other mines are). You can also mark numbers onto the unclicked tiles for reminders and what you think is under the tile, but those do not count to a win like flags in minesweeper

So that set of 5's in the upper right of the cleared area equate to there being a level 5 monster in the corner of it, and the 9 next to them is saying 'in the three tiles to my right there are a total of 4 power of monsters)

Kill the monsters (unless in blind mode) to win. Lose all HP to fail.

Controls and instructions are on the page, but are in engrish.

There a few difficulty levels: Easy, Normal(the link above), Huge, Extreme, Blind, Huge & Extreme, Huge & Blind. Easy, Normal, Huge are the size of the grid. Blind makes it like regular minesweeper, just clear all non-monster tiles. Extreme raises the amount of xp you need to level up, to the point of needing to clear around 99% of a single level of monster before you can move up.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This thread should've used the 'AMINE' tag.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

azsedcf posted:

Mamono Sweeper rules.

Huge + Extreme is a hell of a thing. I've cleared it once (and most of my failures have been a misclick).

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

This thread should've used the 'AMINE' tag.

I don't even know how to tag threads.

azsedcf posted:

This makes me think of Desktop Dungeons. Like, a lot.

I'll have to nab it and see if it can satisfy my deranged minesweeper obsession.
Thanks, Azsedcf.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Your day has come, Grimwit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Imagine if you are almost done and the last mine is a perfect 50/50 chance. losing it that way would give me a stroke.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Air is lava! posted:

Imagine if you are almost done and the last mine is a perfect 50/50 chance. losing it that way would give me a stroke.

For that reason, I would never attempt such a mine grid.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Sorry for the HUGE delay in video time... Wait...

WHAT??!?!

Suit up, men! This is what we trained for!

--==--==--
Ahem
--==--==--

So. I first want to appologies about the time off I've taken from both Anchorhead and Minesweeper.
Life sometimes gets in the way. I won't go into too much detail, but insect infestation is part of it.

Anyway, I have yet to comb through the last bit of fine-sweeper footage and I think it will be the last video, just to wrap things up.

IMPORTANT
What do you want to see or have explained in this last video?

There are a few patterns I can show that don't come up anywhere in the game I'm playing (like the 1-2-2-1 pattern).
And I'm willing to do research to answer questions.

Call this a interest-check/AMA combo.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I really like the pattern walkthroughs, they make me feel almost somewhat competent at minesweeper beyond basic arithmetic. I'd love to see more of that, personally.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Grimwit posted:

Call this a interest-check/AMA combo.

Yeah, the pattern stuff was actively useful. Maybe a recap, along with a brief mention of others that didn't come up?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I thought Minesweeper always gave you the benefit in 50-50 situations so you never needed more than one life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

I thought Minesweeper always gave you the benefit in 50-50 situations so you never needed more than one life.

Alas, no no no no no no no... no.

no.

It's a no.

In fact, sometimes it seems like it's stacked against you, but there is a way to raise your chances of stepping on a safe tile. Like shooting for the 1/3 chances.
That's why it's so important to mark what you know first. Plenty of times I've had a 50-50 chance, but moved on to the rest of the board and cleared around to the other side, turning that 50% into a 100% known.

Still.

Dem' 50's, yo.

• Locked thread