Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gently caress you with a brick

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

i had the great experience of growing up with amigas in america and my dad disliked microsoft so much that we didn't get a windows computer in the house until black friday 1999, which of course ran windows me
on the plus side I grew up with an amiga 500 in my bedroom and he got a huge box of hundreds of floppies of pirated amiga stuff at a yard sale so we were never short of games

i have him mostly trained and he's comfortable with xp and 7 now, but he's still a bit obsessed with the amiga days

he could always go back to the Amiga, according to some of the people here...

Hyperion was showing AmigaOS 4.1 with a WebKit-based browser and stuff like that, and runs on a bunch of wacky hardware

there's also AROS which is an AmigaOS 3.x reimplementation that runs on a bunch of more common hardware and also Raspberry Pi 2 and such

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I played around with AROS for a bit. Let's not pretend the Amiga-esque OS's complete and total lack of memory protection is fun to deal with in the Space Year 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the tables at the Amiga 30 event banquet are all named for games, you match the game art on your banquet ticket to the candle cover on your table

here's one (not my table):

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

eschaton posted:

he could always go back to the Amiga, according to some of the people here...

Hyperion was showing AmigaOS 4.1 with a WebKit-based browser and stuff like that, and runs on a bunch of wacky hardware

there's also AROS which is an AmigaOS 3.x reimplementation that runs on a bunch of more common hardware and also Raspberry Pi 2 and such

He got one of the boards for it but they forgot to include the OS disk. When he emailed the place he got it from they said that they dumped it all because it didn't sell.

Since then he hasn't bothered. Also he uses office regularly these days and I don't know what stuff the new AmigaOS has on that front.

Also I've played with AROS and at least as of a couple years ago it mostly didn't work.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

when Commodore UK sponsored Chelsea football, they'd have to make additional payouts when Chelsea won

so they wound up hiring a bunch of people to place synchronized bets in a variety of towns against Chelsea to limit their exposure, since it was cheaper than actually buying insurance

the bets were synchronized so the bookmakers couldn't change the odds in response to the bets: there was about a 10-minute lag between a large bet and the odds changing, which they exploited

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXhmL8XZcFM

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
Holy poo poo, Kylie Mole.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuKDSkEKhk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

cmu computer club managed to rescue some of his other files from some floppies that turned up in the warhol museum's collection

do vimeo tags work anymore
https://vimeo.com/92583299

then they had to defend themselves on pouet lol http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9900&page=1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raithe posted:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Raithe posted:

Wait, she was popular in New Zealand?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We watched that skit show she was on, so well known enough at least

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
well we got Comedy Company here so yeah

Con the Fruiterer. Dads Jokes. All that stuff.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

well we got Comedy Company here so yeah

Con the Fruiterer. Dads Jokes. All that stuff.

I'm sorry

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I would give up half my salary for five years to Electronic Arts for them to port Deluxe Paint 5 to some other platform but apparently 20,000 dollars is like, nothing to those guys.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

kliksf posted:

I would give up half my salary for five years to Electronic Arts for them to port Deluxe Paint 5 to some other platform but apparently 20,000 dollars is like, nothing to those guys.

next to an AA3000 at the event there was a great pic of an EA engineer with a caseless prototype, she was working on Deluxe Paint for the AGA chipset

also the EA released the source code for the original Deluxe Paint via the Computer History Museum as part of the Amiga 30th celebration

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
deluxe paint the top

especially i remember hitting 1 and 2 to go through animation frames, and the onion skinning mode that IV came with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
life was painful before virtual memory

i remember doing poo poo like creating custom boot.bat files or whatever they were called to open minimal stuff for the purposes of running paint programs because everything you did had to fit in memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
A friend of mine in elementary school had a bunch of Amigas for some strange reason. The games looked pretty sweet back then.

I later found out that his father did local TV ads and used Video Toaster which was amazing to see as a 10 yr old.

• Locked thread