Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could give me some career/ job hunting advice. Firstly, a bit of backstory- over the last four years I have acquired a BTEC National Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering and a Higher National Diploma in the same. I also have some experience working as a mainly domestic electrician, with some City and Guild qualifications. Last year, I made an attempt at completing a 'top-up' degree allowing me to take the final year of a B.S.c Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (In some degree programmes, the HNC/HND can count as having completed the first two years), which would result in me graduating with said degree. However, for a number of reasons, I failed to complete the degree and am unable to repeat it due to running out of funds for it. As such, it is now time for me to find employment. I was wondering if anyone working in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or an allied field, who knows about the engineering job market and what employers want, could advise me as to what positions would be suitable for me to apply for with just the National Diploma and HND, or if it is even worth applying at all without a degree. I am of course British, and these are British qualifications- however, I am happy to consider advice from people familiar with the engineering job scene in other countries too. To place these qualifications in context, the National Diploma is a Level 3 National Vocational Qualification, which is roughly equivalent to an A-Level, or pre-university qualification. The Higher National Diploma (encompassing the Higher National Certificate) is a Level 4 and 5 vocational qualification, roughly equivalent to the first and second years of a degree course at a standard university (Or just the first year in a top-flight university like Oxford or Cambridge). Many thanks in advance for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
No replies yet? Is my post too obtuse? Feel free to ask me questions about my qualifications and/or circumstances if it helps you answer my question.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Can your post be summarized as, "Hey, so I have half (maybe a little less) of an electrical engineering degree (the American equivalent of some AP classes and maybe an associate's degree) and some experience as an electrician. What kind of jobs should I be applying for? I live in Britain."

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Horking Delight posted:

Can your post be summarized as, "Hey, so I have half (maybe a little less) of an electrical engineering degree (the American equivalent of some AP classes and maybe an associate's degree) and some experience as an electrician. What kind of jobs should I be applying for? I live in Britain."

If this is the correct summary and you were in the US, I'd say to look for Electronics Technician jobs and try to move to the engineering side from there. But Britain is about the same as the moon to me so

• Locked thread