Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I am sorry to burst your bubble but there are underground rivers and sadly they are just called underground rivers. Mostly they are just rivers flowing through caves. Some of the more interesting examples are found in the amazonian rain forest where the river will basically fall down a hole and then come out the side of a hill miles away.
As for underwater rivers, that term is use mostly to describe how water flows in portions of the oceans. in the Atlantic there is a loop of flowing water that flow significantly faster than the surrounding water. And most of the time it is described as an underwater river. Finding Nemo featured one of these rivers during the turtle section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Major_JF posted:

I am sorry to burst your bubble but there are underground rivers and sadly they are just called underground rivers. Mostly they are just rivers flowing through caves. Some of the more interesting examples are found in the amazonian rain forest where the river will basically fall down a hole and then come out the side of a hill miles away.
As for underwater rivers, that term is use mostly to describe how water flows in portions of the oceans. in the Atlantic there is a loop of flowing water that flow significantly faster than the surrounding water. And most of the time it is described as an underwater river. Finding Nemo featured one of these rivers during the turtle section.
You buzzkill!

Fiendly posted:

Dante goes off the deep end here and decides swimming and pirates are worth his time. Luckily, this leads to the acquisition of the second most important key item in the game.
Oh hey bottom-of-the-page update.

The swimming missions are really bizarre. I get the "variety" idea, but it's such a strange way to introduce that, as if they wanted to be as far away from the typical action gameplay as possible. I hate Bayonetta's bike and (to a lesser extent) rocket parts too, but those at least are action setpieces...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh crazy, I only discovered this thread TODAY. My ex-wife and I played the crap out of DMC when it first came out and I was never any good at it. I'm just plain not a good video gamer sometimes. However I did love the game. Played a lot of 2 as well, which I know sucked but liked it anyways. 3 was just something I couldn't get the knack of for some reason.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pillars of Eternity has a feature where the monster encyclopedia updates based on the information you learn about an enemy. You unlock lore entries by killing a certain number of them, but you unlock their statistic data by fighting them and uncovering their values based on your rolls. Like, you roll a 50 and miss--okay, their defense is better than 50. Then you roll a 60 and hit. Each time the Cyclopdia will update to keep track of how you've narrowed the range their defense could be in. And if you never use an attack related to one of their defenses--say they have a fire defense and you never use fire attacks--then it won't mention it because how would you know?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've NEVER had Griffin 2 go so well! I always get Thunder Bird'ed to death, so bravo for that. I'm curious to see how you handle Nightmare though, that bastard is probably the worst boss in the whole game.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Major_JF posted:

I am sorry to burst your bubble but...

Not at all, this is exactly the info Ruebinok wanted to Google during the video but couldn't be bothered, and I was certainly curious about it myself. We're still looking for what a subterranean river would be called though, like an aquifer or whatever Magic: The Gathering would call the dual-color land of this description.

Lotish posted:

Pillars of Eternity has a feature where the monster encyclopedia updates based on the information you learn about an enemy. You unlock lore entries by killing a certain number of them, but you unlock their statistic data by fighting them and uncovering their values based on your rolls. Like, you roll a 50 and miss--okay, their defense is better than 50. Then you roll a 60 and hit. Each time the Cyclopdia will update to keep track of how you've narrowed the range their defense could be in. And if you never use an attack related to one of their defenses--say they have a fire defense and you never use fire attacks--then it won't mention it because how would you know?

I suppose Shin Megami Tensei games are a bit similar in that you can check an enemy's stats and it'll only tell you how they react to elemental attacks if you've used that element on them before. That's probably something of a standard RPG feature, though.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've NEVER had Griffin 2 go so well! I always get Thunder Bird'ed to death, so bravo for that. I'm curious to see how you handle Nightmare though, that bastard is probably the worst boss in the whole game.

Griffon 2 can either be impossibly difficult or insultingly easy, and I've only seen his easy pattern lately. I'm kinda looking forward to Nightmare just because it gives me the opportunity to talk strategy, where Griffon is all just dodge 'n' shoot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's funny that SMT has been brought up a couple times considering Dante has a cameo in one of the games. (One of the versions of SMT3) Unfortunately it appears to be mostly based on part 2's version of him...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny that SMT has been brought up a couple times considering Dante has a cameo in one of the games. (One of the versions of SMT3) Unfortunately it appears to be mostly based on part 2's version of him...

Oh yeah, I somehow forgot about that factoid! It may be DMC2 Dante (AKA Enzo) but it's still a great crossover, and that was the first SMT game I ever played. The cover of that game is where this li'l gem comes from:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ha! I always dug that fan theory as well about DMC2 Dante being Enzo in disguise, due to the Viewtiful Joe allusions to it.

I gotta admit, the idea that Enzo is how he appears in the DMC3 Manga and in Bayonetta instead seems slightly more sound.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
One of the legit really good ideas in Final Fantasy 13 is the information you can gather about monsters. Either you try out different elements and also status attacks to gauge out their immunities and weaknesses piecemeal, or you spend a semi-limited resource to scan part of the info immediately, OR you use an item to get all of it at once. The kicker: usually, the piecemeal method works fine (maybe not against certain bosses because you want to avoid the feeling-out phase), as the AI-controlled party members do their testing for you. It's pretty neat.

FF12 had a Bestiary with mostly fluff and world-building info which would give you another page of info once you killed enough of the monster in question. I like that because you'll be getting extra info on the side if you care for it, and nothing was tied to it (looking at you, monster arena in FF10).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The ff12 bestiary was also kickass in that the unlocked addendums are written in a variety of styles and about a variety of subjects. One might be written in a very historical style explaining some background information about the ruins youre in, while another may be street gossip about a bazaar recipe. Theyre also short, like a small paragraph each which avoids the usual problem with Codexes in games: always long winded, incredibly dry diatribes.

The bestiary is well written is what im trying to say, and actually has a bit of fun instead of trying to be overly 'factual'.

• Locked thread