Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nobody's replying so I figured I'd post, just to let you know I'm still following along. If that helps? I'm also really sorry about Archie, my condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Mikey we could get a group discount on shirts that say medical issues and depression or some poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Congrats on getting engaged, really sorry to hear about Archie.

I'm back in the area and starting a job just a few miles south of you in early May, so if you need some help around the house hmu.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Congrats on getting engaged, really sorry to hear about Archie.

I'm back in the area and starting a job just a few miles south of you in early May, so if you need some help around the house hmu.

Yeah, let's definitely talk, there's several electrical things that need updating as I'm sure you remember.

I picked up a pair of GFCI outlets with built-in night lights so that should be interesting to try out, and I picked up a outlet with built in usb receptacles to replace one in the bedroom so we can see if those will work out. Eventually probably need to replace all of the outlets in the house, and I think I want to change over to smart light switches at some point, and it's getting to the point where probably all of the main lighting fixtures need to be replaced, and and and,...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ended up in the hospital again, got a kidney stone that lodged so I had to get admitted for them to blow up the stone with LAZERZ, and then they stuck a stent in. Then I had to go to the ER again for what turned out to be an added bladder infection.

Pain is, not fun.

Haven't done really much at all with the house, pretty much all of my energy is going towards work and prepping for the wedding (down to 1.5 months now).

Oh, and meet Rufus B. Chesterfield:

He's a good boy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hi goon I hope your life is doing okay.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

tater_salad posted:

hi goon I hope your life is doing okay.

Still alive. Starting a new therapy that will hopefully get me off of Prednisone and stable enough that I might be able to start getting my poo poo back together.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Still alive. Starting to get off of the nasty steroids. Latest issues have been kidney stones, which I'm hoping getting off of the steroids will reduce.

In the housework season now, so with any luck I'll be able to stay off the bad meds and my energy levels will go back up.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, discovered that smart switches don't work so well (at all) if you don't have a neutral wire, which a house built waaaaaay before 1985 doesn't have.

Hallway is gonna be dark for another day or two until I can get one of them special "no neutral wire" switches.

Things aren't so bad at the moment, just started a new medication, my internals aren't currently trying to kill me most days, and I've lost like 25 pounds and got my hands on a recumbent bike for the library so I'm getting some exercise again.

Gotta talk to the electric goon again and see about getting a few projects done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you mean, no ground wire? Because without a hot and a neutral, there's no circuit.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Do you mean, no ground wire? Because without a hot and a neutral, there's no circuit.

No neutral is pretty common in switches, which is fine for your old dumb switch but not fancy smart ones

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhh, I get it. Hot in and hot (switched return) out

I was thinking of that being the "neutral" but of course it isn't when it's carrying current from the switch to the fixture

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Join the no-neutral party with Lutron Caseta smart switches.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MikeyTsi posted:

Welp, discovered that smart switches don't work so well (at all) if you don't have a neutral wire, which a house built waaaaaay before 1985 doesn't have.

Hallway is gonna be dark for another day or two until I can get one of them special "no neutral wire" switches.

Things aren't so bad at the moment, just started a new medication, my internals aren't currently trying to kill me most days, and I've lost like 25 pounds and got my hands on a recumbent bike for the library so I'm getting some exercise again.

Gotta talk to the electric goon again and see about getting a few projects done.

You're going to need to be more specific now because I live like 15 minutes from elviscat and am also an electric goon :ninja:

If you aren't working on a GFCI circuit, there's a good chance you can simply run the neutral on that switch to ground instead. Many of them even include a green sleeve for the neutral pigtail that magically makes this legal.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You're "technically" correct, in pre-1985 houses neutral was generally run direct to the fixture, so you just have hot and load (and maybe ground) at the switch.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The Dave posted:

Join the no-neutral party with Lutron Caseta smart switches.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. It's not like re-doing neutral would necessarily be "hard" but you've gotta climb up in to the roof crawlspace and if I'm having someone deal with that pain in the rear end I may as well have new lines run so I can separate off lighting from main wall electrical (and separate the loving feeds so I don't have 1 loving 15A circuit serving power and light for like 3 loving rooms)

Of course that also means a new mains panel or an addition and all that.

This house is wired stupid. It was wired stupid because it was wired in the dark ages and then the previous owners did further stupid wiring on top of that stupid wiring.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

You're going to need to be more specific now because I live like 15 minutes from elviscat and am also an electric goon :ninja:

All I'm seeing is "Michael I'd LOVE to come by sometime and marvel at the ridiculous decisions made by prior occupants."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MikeyTsi posted:

(and separate the loving feeds so I don't have 1 loving 15A circuit serving power and light for like 3 loving rooms)
:stare:

MikeyTsi posted:

This house is wired stupid.
I agree. What the gently caress.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MikeyTsi posted:

All I'm seeing is "Michael I'd LOVE to come by sometime and marvel at the ridiculous decisions made by prior occupants."

This is exactly how I read it, however with "at cost" added to the end.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

If you aren't working on a GFCI circuit, there's a good chance you can simply run the neutral on that switch to ground instead. Many of them even include a green sleeve for the neutral pigtail that magically makes this legal.

Well, the full circuit includes a GFCI outlet in the bathroom (which is "hopefully" the end of the line)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MikeyTsi posted:

I sure would, I'm always down to marvel at someone else's problems instead of my own.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vavrek posted:

:stare:

I agree. What the gently caress.

My 1957 house has three bedrooms' outlets and lights on one 15a circuit. All anyone plugged in back then was like, lamps, maybe a clock, maybe a radio, and occasionally a vacuum cleaner. This is totally normal for older construction. People didn't used to put a TV and stereo and a bunch of gadgets and a computer in every bedroom room of their house.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

My 1957 house has three bedrooms' outlets and lights on one 15a circuit. All anyone plugged in back then was like, lamps, maybe a clock, maybe a radio, and occasionally a vacuum cleaner. This is totally normal for older construction. People didn't used to put a TV and stereo and a bunch of gadgets and a computer in every bedroom room of their house.

Yes, buuuuut,...

This house has had several additions added over the years, and shows a lot of perplexing electrical decisions. Like how they chained two internal outlets off of an external gfci outlet.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Any experiences with the GE Cync switches? It looks like the local Lowe's doesn't carry Lutron without a neutral line.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

I sure would, I'm always down to marvel at someone else's problems instead of my own.

You could also marvel at the car I still haven't completed and the amount of dust it's managed to accumulate.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Leperflesh posted:

I know, I know. It's something I don't think about much, because while my childhood home was built in 1905, my parents remodeled the kitchen and I think a decent chunk of the house's wiring when I was about four years old. (And given the age of the house, that was not the first time someone had redone the wiring ...)

When did per-room air conditioners become commonplace? 1980s? 70s? (90s? 60s? I didn't live somewhere that warranted air conditioning before 2000, so I just never really saw them.) I was thinking about the loads in my office, and it's PC(+Monitors), lamps, and the space heater / air conditioner (depending on season).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My house has central air and I think it may have been designed for it at the beginning, but might have been converted to central air maybe in the 70s. Before that you put a fan in your room if you were hot. I don't think you "design" a house to have an a/c in every room, that's always a retrofit, because central air is far more efficient so you'd obviously design for that if you're designing for a/c, right? I don't know that for a fact but I'd be surprised if original construction homes of any era were intentionally putting in dedicated circuits to bedrooms for window A/C but not bothering to design for central A/C instead.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I wasn't thinking of it in terms of houses designed for air conditioning specifically, so much as an example of increasing electrical loads over time. You know, you start off with lamps, fans. A radio. Over time you have resistive heating in terms of ovens, toasters, space heaters. Water heaters. Clocks get added at some point. Washing machine, dishwasher, dryer. Hair dryer. Occasional vacuums, like you mentioned. A single television, then multiple. Desktop computers. Miscellaneous gadgets. And somewhere in the mix, window-mount air conditioners.

I figure wall clocks and charging cell phones are comparatively minuscule. Most of the large loads are transient. But, as a result of changing availability of consumer electronics, 1900-2000, the abstract "what kind of electrical load does this service need to support?" steadily increased.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It works!

Kinda.

I managed to get it hooked up and the light works (and I got it hooked up to the app), but it looks like when the switchbox was installed they ran a nail through the top and the bottom of it, so the switch won't fit in the housing.

Not sure what to do about that.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, was trying to replace the shower head but that fitting is all "lolnope", so gotta figure out breaking that loose.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MikeyTsi posted:

I managed to get it hooked up and the light works (and I got it hooked up to the app), but it looks like when the switchbox was installed they ran a nail through the top and the bottom of it, so the switch won't fit in the housing.

Here you go. I had to do that when adding a smart switch to my kitchen - 4 different sets of romex in a single gang box, switch wouldn't go in all the way. Hopefully it gives you enough room.

Installed:

It looks a little janky, but it's not the end of the world, and nothing is exposed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 21, 2023

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Microsoft is ending the contract I'm part of at EoY, so that's fun.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Refrigerator took a poo poo, probably Saturday, so that was a fun $2k to have to spend.

Showing up today.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Old and Busted:

New Coldness:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol does it stick out that far or is it not slid back all the way yet?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

lol does it stick out that far or is it not slid back all the way yet?

That's how far out it's gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ouch. The contractor tried to install a fridge that looked like that, at my mother in law's condo she had him renovate, and we were like "no way" immediately. Mind you a shallower fridge is a lot smaller while also potentially being just as, or more, expensive, because being a nonstandard shape is more expensive than being bigger or smaller. But I really would not love that new dark corner of counter on the right with a fridge that far out :(