Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Using the template from the sticky:

Problem description:
So first I installed Windows 8 and upgraded it to Windows 10. It looked like this:

I took the remaining space and made the last 2000MB into swap and the rest into ext4 as / to install linux mint onto.

The install looks like it went well. The computer doesn't boot to GRUB but rather straight to Windows. I can't access my linux install but I can still boot to the installation medium.

Attempted fixes:
None yet. I don't want to accidentally erase a partition critical to Windows and there are loving 5 of them.

Recent changes:
I had to disable Secure boot to boot from USB media.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 64-bit. I think professional.
Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela 64-bit

System specs:
Microsoft Surface Pro 1

Germany, but all software and hardware from USA.

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes. I haven't had this happen before on non- UEFI systems and I'm really at a loss for what to specifically google. I'm getting people with the same problem but no solid answer.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
GRUB on UEFI is terrible and I have never succeeded in getting it to work. Is there anyway you can virtualise the Mint? Or do you have to have it native?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't done this personally, but this page seems to have a lot of the information you need:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-linux-on-surface-pro-3/

This one also looks like it might be useful:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=200643

• Locked thread