Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ehhhhh I guess no one made a thread about this so I'll bite the bullet.

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryu Seneki is an anime by studio Silver Link based on a tabletop RPG campaign created and ran by Makoto Sanda (Writer of Mental Magica) for his famous players, Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Valvrave [lol]), Kinoko Nasu (Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night), Ryohgo Narita (Baccano, DRRR!), Kougyoku Izuki (Mimizuku and the King of Night) and Shima Drill (Some random doujin dude). Some people may recognize that it's the same way Lodoss War came to be! Well, that's because Japan has a thing where tabletop sessions are sometimes novelized, in this case, the original campaign was named Red Dragon, but I have no idea why they changed it.

Story

The story is based on the small island nation of Nil Kamui. Situated between the large empires of D'Nastia and Kouran, it is suddenly invaded by the latter while the former takes off another chunk of the island with the excuse of protecting D'Nastian citizens. Meanwhile, the guardian god of the island, the Red Dragon, has lost its mind and went berserk on several villages, to the point that an expedition team is made by the factions fighting for the island in order to subdue the creature.

Characters

Ibuki
VA: Marina Inoue
Player: Simadoriru

The current heir of the Nil Kamui royal family and a total wimp, his bloodline is the only one that can unlock the power of the Red Dragon and make a covenant that kills everyone close to him in compensation.

Max Stat: Girlishness.
Min Stat: Luck with relationships.

Swallow Crastvallley
VA: Soma Saito
Player: Kinoko Nasu

A knight from the D'Nastia Black Dragon Order, he has a curse that empowers any object that he touches but also destroys it soon after, which bankrupted him and his family. So he's a loving Saber Clone with Archer's Broken Phantasm crap, goddamnit Nasu!!!

Max Stat: Leadership
Min Stat: Financial Luck.

Eiha
VA: Miyuki Sawashiro (Too good for this role...)
Player: Izuki Kogyoku.

A girl from a race called Bounded Ones who is fused with a giant flying dog demon. Flat in personality and appearance.

Max Stat: Dog.
Min Stat: Personality.

Luo Zhenhua
VA: Maaya Ushida.
Player: Gen Urobuchi (Obviously)

An assassin from Kouran who has a talking sword that is as bloodthirsty as she is. Deffo trustworthy. Was a dude on the original game but it's a babe now so I ain't complaining.

Max Stat: Sexiness.
Min Stat: Sanity.

"Undead Merchant" Kagraba
VA: Unshou Ishizuka
Player: Ryogo Narita

A ghost possessing a diving suit? A robot? Whatever he is, this guy is the richest motherfucker on Earth, with his own private city and five percent of the World's wealth.

Max Stat: ????
Min Stat: ????

NPCs

Like I give a gently caress.

Where is airing?

Uhhh Funimation I guess if you don't torrent it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...Urobuchi didn't write Valvrave, where the hell did you get that from? He did do Gargantia and the first season of Aldnoah, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Both were bad 2013 spring mecha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, should have put the [lol] after his magnum opus Saya no Uta. Please fix

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I love Lou and how she just chews up the loving scenery every time she appears.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I started watching this for expressly ~ironic~ reasons because it's pretty bad but at this point I'm totally down with watching it just for Ka Grava, who owns a whole lot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ka Grava changed this from a fascinating train wreck I was sticking through only because it was based on real life gaming sessions to being legitimately fun to watch. I can only hope he keeps up just sort of doing his own thing and not really taking part in the ~serious narrative~ that everyone else is. Except Swallow/Nasu I guess who seems only interested in playing every cliche towards his NPC waifu.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Luo and Kagraba are the best and they should get the spotlight instead of that little bitch Ibuki and his dog ear gf (I don't mind Swellow).

Also get the gun general for the party because she's cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Welcome to Lodoss Island! What you've all been waiting for; The second part!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The agreed meme.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Luo and Kagraba are the best and they should get the spotlight instead of that little bitch Ibuki and his dog ear gf (I don't mind Swellow).

gun general was cool and had presence, but then the session killed her in a bullshit way

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

just watched ep 1

so the red dragon is a monkeys paw?

lol

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I was really hoping that one of his friends would die in every episode because that'd be loving hilarious as time goes on, but unfortunately it doesn't hold

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RIP gun general :qq:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm just amused that an RPG character has to bring his bankruptcy administrator along with him.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I am kind of dissapointed that Ibuki didn't get to sacrifice Gun General and require Lou having to deal with the Red Dragon's attack.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

just watched ep 1

so the red dragon is a monkeys paw?

lol

A monkey's paw makes your wish come true in the worst possible way.

The Red Dragon just requires you to kill someone you love to kill someone you hate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I forgot I made this thread does the anime ever gets good after the 5th episode because that's where I dropped it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress, im not sure, i dropped it just before they introduced the mc's sister who everyone thought was dead

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

what a loving fakeout jesus

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'm watching out of sheer curiosity, but I wouldn't say the animation or the plot are particularly good. Hell, I think for a long period of time I just wanted to know what the drat numbers they put into some parts of the show mean.

The fake-out went back the other way, anyway. Turns out she's dead. But that's okay, because she at some point got one of those dumb red-dragon-magatama things and one of her contract powers is bringing people back as zombies, and apparently she used that on herself? And also went crazy, and forgot who killed her and her parents, for what I can only assume is the plot's convenience. And she chained up and has kept the dragon in her body ever since she was supposedly killed. And now that she's near her brother, he can't use his stupid contract even though he could freely use it before... even right in front of her? But whatever.

The whole "magic region affinity" thing seems like something adopted from a video game, but given no real rhyme or reason when shoved into this thing? At first it seemed like to change the affinity of a thing you needed a really specific place and method, like throwing a magic-changing artifact into a lava fissure close the home of the dragon that rules over the native magic field, and that seemed fine. But then it turned out that you can just toss the things like daggers to momentarily change the magic field of a random part of the sea just by stabbing them into a boat's deck, or dropping them into people, so I guess that doesn't matter at all? It makes even less sense when a character is supposedly dying because the local magic field's shifted to a foreign country's and that's slowing their recovery rate... and apparently they can be saved by just switching their personal field to a different foreign country's. You know, instead of back to their native one.

Characters get added just to be killed off, rules are added just to be broken, and masterminds behind evil plans get killed almost immediately without resolving said backstabbing. And because the series started in media-res with that one scene where some of the main characters are all standing on the castle or fort the story's currently at, I'm assuming they're all going to survive long enough to at least pose in the same manner.

tl;dr: It's bad, but I'm curious to see how dumb it can get.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I started watching because of this thread and can confirm it's bad. The only times where it's pretty decent is when the MC isn't being sad at having to murder his buddies, which happens ALL THE TIME. The undead robot guy is p cool.

It's been barely watchable so far but I watched most of it with someone else and don't know if it would have been the same without someone to share in laughing at the MC's loving asscapepants.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 12, 2015

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Hey, this thing is over. Surprising no one, the ending was underwhelming.

The numbers that kept appearing all over that I assumed would have some sort of deeper meaning ended up never being used for anything neat. A couple of things happened in the last episode that hint at future shenanigans for what seems like the weakest attempt at vying for a second season.

I'm kind of surprised this was made at all. In fact, due to the nature of the events that happen through it, I'm almost wondering if the tabletop game session this was based on ended abruptly because everyone lost interest. Especially with how sappy the 'happy' parts of the ending were. Everything feels dumb and rushed. Too many things happen in the last episode in comparison to the previous ones' pacing:
  • Eykha dies. But that's okay, because a last-minute-deal with the Red Dragon let Ibuki trade-up from Eykha to Eykha-Val-fusion. And so, the future king of the island country of Nil-Kamui gets a brand new furry waifu.
  • In other news, Sweallow chooses not to get rid of his curse and survives a random illogical attack by Lou.
  • Speaking of, Lou gets the Red Dragon magatama from Ibuki's recently killed sister. This pleases her and her spirit-eating sword lord, because I guess it means they get to revive and feed off zombies forever? Who knows.
  • The other two countries of D'Natia and Kouran randomly agree to let Ibuki become king despite all the bloodshed and destruction that their combined campaigns were causing in what seemed like a pretty obvious attempt to get rid of the old kingdom anyway, but I guess they weren't actually responsible for any of that now?
  • Except it doesn't matter, because Ibuki went to look for Eykha-Val-fusion instead of sticking around to be crowned king, so you know. Whatever. The end.
There will be no explanation about zombification, or any follow-up on whether or not all the magic field fuckery will have any long-term effects on the island. Kouran and D'Natia's leaders were totally super great people and no one will question what the hell the Black Dragon's goal actually was, because if it was to kill the Red Dragon it looks like he just lost interest. And pay no attention to the whole animal-halflings-can-turn-their-life-into-attacks-by-singing thing from last episode, because that poo poo seems to have only been brought up at the last second of the last episode for the sake of playing with a 3D cone and nothing else. Same thing with Ka Grava's immortality and Ulrika's multitude of Saint Medallion 1-UPs, or whatever the point of the Red Dragon's claw was.
New thread title suggestion:
Chaos Dragon: The Dungeon Master Said gently caress It, Get Out of My Mom's Basement

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A random bullshit D&D session ended up not being a good anime? No way.

Having famous people as players doesn't make that any more likely. It does, however, reveal a lot about said players.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Having famous people as players doesn't make that any more likely. It does, however, reveal a lot about said players.

It's funny, because everything was heavily modified. Basically rhe story and the characters ended very different from how they were in the RPG sessions

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The ending was horrible, please nobody else watch this, it was really bad.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Pollyanna posted:

I heard Urobuchi basically was just trolling and griefing the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

point of return posted:

I heard Urobuchi basically was just trolling and griefing the entire game.

Sounds like it. I enjoyed reading what was translated from the actual game, with the commentary from the players than actually watching it.

• Locked thread