Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I beat Skyward Sword and I stand by my statement that it is easily one of the best Zeldas out there. That said, the following are bullshit:
- Using motion controls for flying, swimming, and controlling the beetle item.
- That one boss battle that was not only terrible but you repeat it two more loving times
- The last dungeon. It was a neat idea, but got really irritating.
- Fi

The art style owns and the music is on point. Easily one of the best looking and sounding games I played in a while. I'm glad we finally got a (largely) fully-orchestrated Zelda soundtrack after one was promised for Twilight Princess but then Nintendo was like "nah lol sorry."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1OgurYq28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYecdMH94w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-y3UtIbMg4

Now I've finally moved on to Guacamelee and it is fun as heck. Controls and gameplay are solid and the stylish graphics are nice to look at. Some of you complained about the internet memes and I have to say that they're not nearly as annoying or plentiful as the "It's a reference to another video game LOL!!!" poo poo that practically plagues it. Still, it's easy to look past. Good game so far.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyward Sword's a good game. Bad Zelda game but still above average by other standards.

Are you playing Super Championship Capcom Parody Edition? You should, the original game has a weird gap in the end where you just go to the final boss and that's about it.

Guacamelee is tight and combining special moves with forward movement (instead of just making it a weapon/key like most Metroid inspired games) the result is some of the coolest platform challenges I've played in a 2D game. Just navigating levels in the game is super fun.

In other news I really want to buy Galak-Z but the final chapter will be released later as "free DLC" and I just don't loving understand. Did Sony tell them they had to rush this out in time for their Summer promotion?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

Are you playing Super Championship Capcom Parody Edition? You should, the original game has a weird gap in the end where you just go to the final boss and that's about it.

Guacamelee is tight and combining special moves with forward movement (instead of just making it a weapon/key like most Metroid inspired games) the result is some of the coolest platform challenges I've played in a 2D game. Just navigating levels in the game is super fun.

Funny story: I originally bought the Gold edition because it was on sale for like $3.00 before I was warned about it by a previous video game thread. Thankfully this was like a week after Steam introduced refunds so I immediately requested it. I was given the store credits like 3 hours before the sale ended and got the Super Championship Edition just in time (it was on for the same price).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Funny story: I originally bought the Gold edition because it was on sale for like $3.00 before I was warned about it by a previous video game thread. Thankfully this was like a week after Steam introduced refunds so I immediately requested it. I was given the store credits like 3 hours before the sale ended and got the Super Championship Edition just in time (it was on for the same price).

Enjoy the game. I don't know your skill level but if you breeze through Castlevania or Metroid games you should play on hard mode. I don't know about the PC version but you unlock this on consoles by entering a variant of the Konami code.

Hard mode makes the upgrades and costumes really worthwhile. Not necessary but it's a better balanced game as a result.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've been playing At Academy on the 3DS and I'm starting to feel the limits of the tiny touch screen. How much will the Wii U version of Art Academy help with my skill in drawing anime fanart?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I've been playing At Academy on the 3DS and I'm starting to feel the limits of the tiny touch screen. How much will the Wii U version of Art Academy help with my skill in drawing anime fanart?

Not as much as a real art program like Manga Studio 5. Or a piece of paper, some conte sticks, and a youtube video.

It was a nice distraction on DSi but $30 for a console art program is ridiculous to me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

Enjoy the game. I don't know your skill level but if you breeze through Castlevania or Metroid games you should play on hard mode. I don't know about the PC version but you unlock this on consoles by entering a variant of the Konami code.

Hard mode makes the upgrades and costumes really worthwhile. Not necessary but it's a better balanced game as a result.

The combat is different enough from Metroid or Castlevania (games that i own at :smuggo:) that I'm finding the normal difficulty pretty comfortable. I don't even use the costumes, though...

Also, as loaded with video game references Guacamelee is I really did not see this one coming :lol:

Also for some reason imgur refused to upload that image so I had to give it to tinypic. Even after changing the format, size, etc it would consistently and ironically result in this message:

:iiam:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay Guacamelee trip report: The game is pretty short, but there's a lot of secrets and sidequests to keep you busy. The challenge rooms in Hell are fun but I suck a whole lotta rear end at the combat rooms because I am actually scrub-tier at that kind of thing (see also: beat up missions in the Arkham games). I love the races though.

Also I'm kind of impressed that there seems to be an optional power-up (that i can't find :argh:) because afaik most indie games of this genre don't do that. Hell, Metroid doesn't really do that anymore.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Why isn't there a karaoke game for PC? It seems like such an untapped market potential.

(Yes I was looking for one. UltraStar is good but most sites that host songs either host them as torrents with low seeds or have broken links :smithicide:)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Okay Guacamelee trip report: The game is pretty short, but there's a lot of secrets and sidequests to keep you busy. The challenge rooms in Hell are fun but I suck a whole lotta rear end at the combat rooms because I am actually scrub-tier at that kind of thing (see also: beat up missions in the Arkham games). I love the races though.

Also I'm kind of impressed that there seems to be an optional power-up (that i can't find :argh:) because afaik most indie games of this genre don't do that. Hell, Metroid doesn't really do that anymore.

The optional power-up is for opening the silver door in Hell. You need a certain amount of gold medals for it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

The optional power-up is for opening the silver door in Hell. You need a certain amount of gold medals for it.

You mean a certain amount of silver medals. Yeah, I found it shortly after making that post. I just completed the game 100% and it was good as gently caress.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Creeper World 3 is one of the best gaming purchases I've ever made, I got it on sale for $1.50 and I've put over 30 hours into it and I've only just scratched the surface of the procedurally-generated maps after you finish the campaign and the alpha maps. If you want something to play while you're listening to podcasts or bingeing Netflix shows I can't recommend it enough.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Twitch plays Dark Souls is a thing now

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplaysdark

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that sounds awful

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they're standing around, rolling, and getting shot with arrows
e:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Twitch is bad and Dark SOuls is bad so it's a good combination

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a slow goldfish probably couldn't get through ds, but i bet a bunch of frenzied weasels could move enough to do the trick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Motto posted:

that sounds awful

It's a joke

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It's a joke

i don't pay attention to twitch, are there still a bunch of "twitch plays x" bandwagoners to be worth parodying?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, but that doesn't mean it can't be funny regardless.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

No, but that doesn't mean it can't be funny regardless.

too bad it is not

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Humor is subjective but the intent is not, it not being funny to you does not affect whether or not it is a joke

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

this discussion is dumb

Has anyone played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? I started a game today and it's at least very nice to look at with relaxing music and seems p chill overall.

The gibberish language is annoying though. If you're not going to get linguists onboard like the Sims team did for Simlish you're going to get bad results.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

this discussion is dumb

Has anyone played Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? I started a game today and it's at least very nice to look at with relaxing music and seems p chill overall.

The gibberish language is annoying though. If you're not going to get linguists onboard like the Sims team did for Simlish you're going to get bad results.

It's a good game, try to play it in a single sitting. It's maybe 2 1/2 hours, a Tarantino film time.

I'm also a sucker for games where the beginning is the end please do this every developer.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Motto posted:

they're standing around, rolling, and getting shot with arrows
e:

Oh, they're far enough along now to actually get shot by arrows? Last time I checked it, it was continuously rolling into walls, falling back into the hole it took ages to get out of, and opening the menu all the time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think they're going to get very far, they're going to get pasted by most of the bosses in this game 1000/1000 times, it only worked with Pokemon because they had all the time in the world to input actions. Dark Souls requires way, way too much speed and precision for Twitch to pull off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

It's a good game, try to play it in a single sitting. It's maybe 2 1/2 hours, a Tarantino film time.

I'm also a sucker for games where the beginning is the end please do this every developer.

I did it in two sessions, but yeah it was good overall. Reminded me of Journey, but I enjoyed this much more than I did Journey.

The ending was a loving punch in the gut, holy poo poo

• Locked thread