Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I got really lucky when I was leveling my first character on P99 that there was a group of people around the same level and played at the same time with a leader that wanted to go through all the Kunark dungeons. There is so much content that gets lost because it isn't easy/optimal or drops good gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I grouped with some friends most of the way to 50 on my mage. I could have soloed to 50 ofc but I much prefer grouping. Spirit of eq and also just more fun/interesting to me.

I do have a Shaman alt that I've been doing a lot of gators on lately, but mostly because I just play that character in small spurts here and there so I don't often have time to group.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Dizz posted:

[I loving hate Paw so much]

paw rules

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iNteg posted:

Killing gators is boring as gently caress. Killing any mobs in this game is boring as gently caress. You need to find some friends or a group of people you enjoy shooting the poo poo with WHILE you're killing boring rear end gators. I met the best man at my wedding playing this dumb game and server. He's the OP of the thread. Unless you're a masochist and have an insane desire to just slam through it you gotta make it fun for yourself any way you can.

I enjoy the progression, i like getting the gear and doing the camps. getting my epic at like level 23 or some poo poo on my Rogue also made it fun, but it really was the guild i was in and the people I was playing with that really made p99 enjoyable.

This is why I found the guy making the single player game that apes old EQ so bizarre. That's something I'd check out if it was a co-op game but I have zero interest doing it on my own. I think the game is going to have fake PCs in it but that's not the same I'd need real pals to group with. Guess it appeals to boxers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Oil! posted:

I got really lucky when I was leveling my first character on P99 that there was a group of people around the same level and played at the same time with a leader that wanted to go through all the Kunark dungeons. There is so much content that gets lost because it isn't easy/optimal or drops good gear.

Crypt of Dalnir is an interesting dungeon but man it's such an awful undercon that i dont even think a party of 43-45 can handle it optimally.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Dizz are you on the green or blue server?

I leveled my warrior from 29-32 in Dalnir. The group had a bard and two enchanters, which is probably the necessary crowd control for that dungeon. Exp flew though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Dizz are you on the green or blue server?

I leveled my warrior from 29-32 in Dalnir. The group had a bard and two enchanters, which is probably the necessary crowd control for that dungeon. Exp flew though.

atm on green my monk is 40 and my SK is 40 but im playing Quarm these days.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

P99 or quarm for a complete newbie who's looking to try EQ for the first time?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
P99 will be here for years to come, but has no QoL features at all, everything is designed to be as accurate to the classic EQ1 experience as possible, for better and for worse. Examples: there is no built-in minimap/map, your class' epic quest may take a literal year of playing to complete, loot is rare and scarce.

Quarm is a more recent entrant, was booming, but has less stable management and more of a focus on making the classic EQ1 experience more comfortable. Examples are increased drop rates on quest items, rare spawns, etc. Also the server will go to PoP, not stop at Velious, so if you want to play a cat or raid in PoP that's the only option

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

P99 will be here for years to come, but has no QoL features at all, everything is designed to be as accurate to the classic EQ1 experience as possible, for better and for worse. Examples: there is no built-in minimap/map, your class' epic quest may take a literal year of playing to complete, loot is rare and scarce.

Quarm is a more recent entrant, was booming, but has less stable management and more of a focus on making the classic EQ1 experience more comfortable. Examples are increased drop rates on quest items, rare spawns, etc. Also the server will go to PoP, not stop at Velious, so if you want to play a cat or raid in PoP that's the only option

Basically, if you want that QoL, and some movement and timeline into modernity, wait about a month, they have 25th anniversary TLPs coming on live EQ, if you want to be locked to PoP with the QoL changes, that's Quarm.

I think that old Al'Kabor server is still around too? or am i wrong there?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

p99 has barely any management while quarm admin is pumping out events and QoL routinely. staff is also somewhat active.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I would say Quarm for sure. It's a just a more relaxed environment and the QoL changes are mostly for the better.

It also makes raiding more accessible if you ever want to get into that at end game. I'm raiding on Quarm atm and I can tell you I never would have done that on p99.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me, the lack of events qbd QoL is the point of p1999. I dunno what the already level capped folks do in it, but I never know what they do in any MMO besides roll alts and play something else.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Well, p1999 doesn't have instancing, that's a dealbreaker for some. Quarm does, hate it or love it. Live TLPs are fine, but they're up for a limited time, so if you're looking for a server to play on for years on and off, that's not the way to go. You don't have to choose though, you can try all servers and see which one you like best. I play p1999 casually, raid on there, and I like it. I like that my characters are like 5 years old but I can still log on and play with the toys/levels I've ammassed over the years, and meet with people I've known for a long time.

Basically the deal is that one of the servers is classic everquest 1, with all the bad stuff that entails. It has no instancing, staff basically only enforces a modest play-nice-policy, and its main selling point is stability--it hasn't been down for more than a few hours at a time in years. If none of those things interest you, p1999 probably isn't your thing. It's not designed to be fun or comfortable to play, it's designed to be everquest 1 as it was then but with better internet connections and computer hardware.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Quarm only has instanced raids apart from the odd holiday event they do with special limited time zones.

I think instanced raids makes a lot more sense than the nightmare that is P99 raid scene.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

For a brand new player, I would recommend quarm over live. The timelines are a bit slower and quarm felt way, way less sweaty than the TLPs, which are often mobbed with toxic assholes, bot armies and the casual RMT.

I played quarm early on and it didn't feel too off compared to my memories of p99, and most of my p99/emu friends said they enjoyed that model of server and the client.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

first 3 months of quarm were dogshit with all the sweaty nerds and ultra-greedy people trying to hog all the money camps.

i know of like 4 people who had alts so they could hoard Manastones and abu kar boxes in the hopes that Secrets removed legacy items.

e: i wouldnt even say hog the money camps, almost ALL camps were taken. it was rough finding groups.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 19, 2024

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

What you’re describing is every fresh eq1 box and that’s when it’s easiest to find groups

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What you’re describing is every fresh eq1 box and that’s when it’s easiest to find groups

Logging in after school and waiting an hour for an orc camp to get an open spot in EC.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Camping a single skeleton spawn in a noob yard with a 3 man group was how I got started in p99 green yeah

I still group/talk with like half the people I met in my first week on green

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Camping a single skeleton spawn in a noob yard with a 3 man group was how I got started in p99 green yeah

I still group/talk with like half the people I met in my first week on green

I found a static Skelly spawn and hogged it to myself until I had a full inventory of bags and rusty weapons.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Groovelord Neato posted:

Logging in after school and waiting an hour for an orc camp to get an open spot in EC.

I think this is why I ended up playing a necro back then. Dad will be home at 5 so I’ll have to get off the dialup when he needs to use the phone and I need to get the most out of my time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I started on Quarm in January so I missed out on the madness of a new server launch. My leveling experience was pretty pleasant with most people being cool and most groups being fun.

Working on various alts now as well and it's still pretty chill.

I am curious how the pre launch they're doing with Kunark will be. Basically they're opening up Kunark for Iksar only for I think one month before they actually launch Kunark. I imagine the Iksar zones will be pretty packed. I dunno if I'm going to try that or not.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I haven't had an issue with most Quarm changes but Kunark being iksar only for a month is extremely silly

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I haven't had an issue with most Quarm changes but Kunark being iksar only for a month is extremely silly

I think it's kinda cool to see Iksars leveling up without being massively twinked/powerleveled from the outset.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I completed a necro epic on p99 so it's time to go for another iksar epic, warrior or shadowknight
Necro, shaman, and monk down

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Ginette Reno posted:

I started on Quarm in January so I missed out on the madness of a new server launch. My leveling experience was pretty pleasant with most people being cool and most groups being fun.

Working on various alts now as well and it's still pretty chill.

I am curious how the pre launch they're doing with Kunark will be. Basically they're opening up Kunark for Iksar only for I think one month before they actually launch Kunark. I imagine the Iksar zones will be pretty packed. I dunno if I'm going to try that or not.

5 necros and a shaman on every leech spawn in the swamp of no hope

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
it'll be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That does sound very cool actually.