Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Problem description: I have a HP 2159m LCD monitor, about 5 years old. Given me no problems until recently, when thin vertical pixel lines started to appear. They only show up for colors, not black and white.

Attempted fixes: Replaced my video card (not just for this problem, but convenient timing) and tried a different video cable. No change. After Googling, it seems that most people either have stuck pixels (individual red/green/blue pixels) or dead pixels (black or white). Mine appear pale, but shimmery. Messing with the settings on my monitor, by putting it in "Movie" mode I can get the lines to fade somewhat, but the contrast gets cranked up to the point of unreadability.

Recent changes: Nothing major.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield Quad-core, Socket 1156 LGA
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE (LGA1156)
Memory: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
HDD: WD 1TB, Seagate 500GB
Power: 650w

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hmm, can you test whether it follows the monitor if you plug it into something else (a mate's laptop, for instance.)

I presume the picture is a picture of your monitor. Can you take a screenshot and see if the lines appear there. (I bet they don't.)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

bolind posted:

Hmm, can you test whether it follows the monitor if you plug it into something else (a mate's laptop, for instance.)

I presume the picture is a picture of your monitor. Can you take a screenshot and see if the lines appear there. (I bet they don't.)

I plugged a laptop into the monitor, lines still showed up.
They don't appear in screenshots, only photos.

I realize they probably are dead, it's just that I haven't found any description of dead pixels that match what I have :smith:

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
It seems like they aren't "dead" since they are somewhat bright and not dark.

You can try to upload your graphic card drivers, try to plug it in HDMI or DVI or VGA (another one than your current)

Do you have the possibility to reset the screen to his factory settings ? You could try this too.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Rond posted:

It seems like they aren't "dead" since they are somewhat bright and not dark.

You can try to upload your graphic card drivers, try to plug it in HDMI or DVI or VGA (another one than your current)

Do you have the possibility to reset the screen to his factory settings ? You could try this too.

I've tried all of those - installed new drivers with my new video card, no change. Tried DVI and HDMI cords, no change, and factory reset did nothing.
Like I said though, it's weird... I can mess with the contrast and sharpness settings to make the lines "dissapear", but it makes the web unreadable. If they were dead pixels I couldn't do that, right?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://udpix.free.fr/index.php?p=dl

Try running that to get it unstuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
As a last ditch attempt to resolve this, you could try rubbing an eraser at the end of a pencil over the pixels, gentle but firm. Its not always effective but has been known to work.

• Locked thread