Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

I've always been the type that needed something on to fall asleep to. As a kid, it was Howard Stern episodes back when the local affiliate played the morning's show at night. Once I had a tv it was usually sportscenter since they'd just repeat the same episode over and over all night. Discovering the chrontendo series was something of a revelation as the guy was presenting videogames in the driest, most boring fashion possible. Recently I stumbled upon twitch streams of Microsoft Flight Simulator X and jfc this poo poo is like ambien. The white noise from the engine and the lack of action beyond taking off or landing just makes this perfect. It-no joke-used to take up to 2 hours to fall asleep most nights but these days I've got it down to 20 mins tops usually.

I guess there's not much of a point to this thread other than sharing my discovery of flight sim streams, but what are your sleep routines? How long does it take you to fall asleep at night on average?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
ambien and x files, on the weekends, alcohol and dancing/karaoke

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lil Cunty

when I was little there was a radio show called music with moscowettes or something and it was some old deejay who only played novelty music. I'd fall asleep listening to that poo poo every Saturday night, and now I can't listen to weird al or even holiday classics like grandma got ran over by a reindeer without passing out

true story

ty crap

ty landy

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I read books. currently it's last and first men // star maker.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

tao of lmao

10pm: "poo poo i have to go to sleep in an hour :( "
10:30pm: "holy poo poo this video on medieval footwear is fascinating"
10:59pm: "welp"
11pm: "i suppose"
11:30pm: "any minute now"
12am: *head hits pillow*

joke_explainer

Chill la Chill posted:

I read books. currently it's last and first men // star maker.

This doesn't work for me. I'll be like passing out, the entire point of the thing, and yet I cling to the book like a life raft desperately trying to eek out a few sentences or re-reading where my attention wavered trying to read more of the book.

Lil Cunty

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

*tossing and turning*

And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood

*flips pillow over to cold side*

And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters

*covers feet with covers*

And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

*kicks covers off of feet*

When the fifth angel blew his trumpet, I saw a star that had fallen to earth from the sky. The star was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit.

*checks phone*

And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

*gets up to pee*

But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

*just stares at the clock*

ty crap

ty landy

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

joke_explainer posted:

This doesn't work for me. I'll be like passing out, the entire point of the thing, and yet I cling to the book like a life raft desperately trying to eek out a few sentences or re-reading where my attention wavered trying to read more of the book.

do you put the book away before you sleep? I have a lot of books with bent covers cuz they would fall off the bed while I'm sleeping.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

dogcrash truther
I read philosophy or difficult poetry and write in my journal about it until my brain gives up

dogcrash truther
David Hume is my fave to get to sleep on. After the gardening thread I got out my collected poetry and prose of Stevens and that's real good too.

fuck. marry. t-rex

The bed is for sleeping. .. if you stopped doing other things in it you'd fall asleep easier.

A lot of time I have really crazy semi-concious dreams though, when I'm laying in the dark and think I'm not asleep but sort of am

fuck. marry. t-rex

Had a really terrible dream that I was in some sort of horror survival movie type thing the other night sucked p hard...

I remember one scene I was at like an aquarium and there was this one huge tank with a certain type of fish that is benign but they all activated to be killer fish, which is something their species does rarely on a cycle but no one knew, and also it was flooding out and they were killing everyone

Salmiakki

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

The bed is for sleeping. .. if you stopped doing other things in it you'd fall asleep easier.

A lot of time I have really crazy semi-concious dreams though, when I'm laying in the dark and think I'm not asleep but sort of am

thats sleep paralysis, which can be really scary from what ive heard

i have lucid dreams all the time

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

emoji
Lifehack: fall asleep at takeoff and wake up on landing for fun and easy travel. This only works if you haven't destroyed your falling asleep routines with alcohol and sleep drugs.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

emoji posted:

Lifehack: fall asleep at takeoff and wake up on landing for fun and easy travel. This only works if you haven't destroyed your falling asleep routines with alcohol and sleep drugs.

You'll never believe this pilot's secret to a good night's sleep!

fuck. marry. t-rex

*scruffy haunted man poppin melatonin pills, swigging a drink of camomile tea*

FreshCutFries

and then i woke up with my sleep mask half off my face. as i stared at my half-empty, now cold glass of warm milk, i knew this was it...id hit rock bottom.

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

lmao if you sleep more than 5 hours a night

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I recorded every lesson from high school, every lecture from university, and play them back on a broken tape player. i still wear the ping pong balls with eyes painted on them

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
i made copies of each tape and spliced together each roll in a non-sequential order every 10mm and play those when i feel like having nightmares

----------------

Wertjoe

What's the deal with sleep? We go, we lie down and then travel through time! Its crazy! And what's with dreams? One night I'm getting hot with a celebrity the next night I'm getting punched by a demon sofa! I mean, cmon! Don't you hate when youre about to fall asleep and accidentally think about your mortality?! Forget about it!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
as you drift off, remember that every time you fall asleep you die and someone else takes your place

----------------

tao of lmao

http://www.twitch.tv/rodrigopcosta

tonights sleep aid

tao of lmao

i'm on a non-stop flight to slumbertown

Mapparu

I actually found a copy of flight simulator 98 two days ago. I want to it install sometime. Last night I watched this twitch streamer speedrun Ecco the dolphin or something and I feel asleep soon after, lol.

thewizardofshoe

I just...get this...go to sleep...

If I need to get to bed early and don't feel tired enough to fall asleep quickly, I'll put on some soft(ish) music. Post Rock is good for this, sometimes I do Dark Side of the Moon even. It's a bit eventful but it has a lot of lovely, lulling parts and the volume is low anyway.

tao of lmao

music doesn't work for me i give it too much attention.

fuck. marry. t-rex

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

music doesn't work for me i give it too much attention.

Familiar songs way down low

fuck. marry. t-rex

Here's a good one for byob
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8F4HnDc-A

tao of lmao

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Familiar songs way down low

haha no thats even worse cause then i hear/sing along in my head and strain to hear it more. The catch is to keep my brain occupied with something banal enough that it wants to fall asleep. Familiar things that i like do the opposite.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
when I used to work overnights I'd go to sleep listening to coast to coast am with art bell/ George noory

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i drink until suddenly i find myself waking up somewhere

Wertjoe

Luvcow posted:

when I used to work overnights I'd go to sleep listening to coast to coast am with art bell/ George noory

I love coast to coast am! Lately George Noory is getting on my nerves though, he seems like he's a lot less interested in finding out the truth than he is in having entertaining wackos on. I miss Art Bell.

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

You'll never believe this pilot's secret to a good night's sleep!

hahahaha

tao of lmao

Wertjoe posted:

I love coast to coast am! Lately George Noory is getting on my nerves though, he seems like he's a lot less interested in finding out the truth than he is in having entertaining wackos on. I miss Art Bell.

yeah noory sucks art's the man

ron color
sleep paralysis is annoying

vermeul

Free Acid
So much weed

weird

by zen death robot

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

yeah noory sucks art's the man

----------------

weird

by zen death robot
art just started an internet radio thing like two weeks ago its good

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

i drink until suddenly i find myself waking up somewhere

That's how coffee feels to me

• Locked thread