Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Especially with a bone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Especially with a bone in it.

:stare:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
:wiggle:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

mcswizzle posted:

Total cook time, about 2 1/2-3 hours. It was a ~3.7lb leg of lamb which fed us both and had enough for two servings of leftovers. I would do a few things differently next time, but overall I would call it a success.

edit: i spell good

Great job! What did you find that you'd do differently next time?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

EVG posted:

Great job! What did you find that you'd do differently next time?

Thanks!

First and foremost I'm not going to forget the potatoes are boiling on the stove (ended up being fine, they came out perfectly. But I totally forgot about them when I sat down for a break after everything else).

Also, the recipe called for me to put the lamb on the top rack of our oven. We actually have a nice roasting pan that has a variable level rack that fits inside it (lets the roast sit low and marinate or higher to drip) so I'll probably use that. I knew we had it, but I wanted to follow the recipe to the letter this time so I didn't screw it up.

The mint sauce, while she said it was delicious (I don't like mint so I didn't try it), was a little light on the mint with regards to what the recipe called for so I would probably use more, or at the very least be more careful about how it's made. I did end up using our Ninja blender to chop the mint leaves...I pulled all the leaves and put them in, and hit the blend button for a fraction of a second, just long enough to get the blades spinning. Shake the container around a little to get the big pieces off the sides and repeat, and bam very tiny chopped/minced/whatever mint leaves. It worked surprisingly well.

Not knowing much about this kind of marinade (I normally do steaks in store bought marinades), it's basically spices in olive oil. I would have liked to give it more time to sit in the marinade, maybe even overnight, but I'm not sure it would have the same effect as a vinegar based or other kind of marinade. I was happy with how it turned out regardless, but definitely something to experiment with.

My MIL told me that I have to cook this for her next time we visit in Baltimore so it'll definitely be happening again, but my wife is already planning/budgeting for this to happen as often as once a month so I get the feeling I'm going to be getting some practice with it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Oh man. I can't imagine getting leg of lamb every month - it's generally something I get once a year for Greek Easter. Sounds amazing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Leg of lamb is cheap as long as you buy in bulk and don't mind eating leftovers. My wife hates leftovers for some reason (very frustrating) so that's out for me but it is a good way to go if that is an option for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lamb and mint is such a wonderful and natural combination that it makes you wonder how the inner soft tissue of this animal was somehow preordained to be eaten alongside a very specific plant. Mint is very delicate though and doesn't need to be pulverized, in fact that makes it taste more bitter. Just a very light chop or even rubbing the leaves between your fingers is enough to release the flavor and aroma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mint+lamb and duck+tart cherry both really skirt the sweet spot between the teleological and ontological arguments for God. If missionaries brought dishes capitalizing that along with them, I'd be much more open to their . . . whatever you call it.

• Locked thread