Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I keep seeing these all over the city, but haven't actually really thought about it until I had to do an oil change on a FourTwo today. Yes, I know they have severe limitations, but I unironically love the little fucker and am now considering renting one for a day sometime soon and just tool around in one for a few hours or a day. Basically wondering if anyone has had any experiences using either of those companies before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The only people I know that use them are totally car-dumb folks living in the downtown area of my city. You know, people who have never owned a car and don't want to. They seem to love them though!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a Car2Go card but I haven't used it yet. Periodically they give me like 30 minutes of free drive time but by the time I run into a situation where they might actually be useful the time is expired.

A friend of mine used one to transport his inflatable raft from his office to the river, because he didn't want to try and find parking for his car or to have to carry a raft by hand.

I guess I should try it and report back to the thread?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've used Car2Go here in San Diego, they use the electric Smarts. Speed is limited to 60 or 65, can't recall which. They are cool for zipping from Pacific Beach to Downtown if you're going out for the night - you just leave it wherever you want to as long as you're in their coverage zone. It was pretty reasonably priced, and there were plenty of the cars around when I needed one. Usually just a few blocks away too. There's an app that locates the nearest car and tells you how much power it has left, so you don't get stuck somewhere by grabbing a car with a 10% charge.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 6, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I keep seeing these all over the city, but haven't actually really thought about it until I had to do an oil change on a FourTwo today. Yes, I know they have severe limitations, but I unironically love the little fucker and am now considering renting one for a day sometime soon and just tool around in one for a few hours or a day. Basically wondering if anyone has had any experiences using either of those companies before.

Next time you get one in, sell them a cabin filter.For some reason they got some ridiculous book time. Enjoy your gravy.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I've never driven an automatic that felt like it was gonna stall at every stoplight till I drove a Smart from car2go. I don't see them surviving Brooklyn's drivers or streets, the one I rented had 3k and the alignment was off and the suspension felt hosed up in a way I couldn't put my finger on. I have a feeling most will enjoy a quick death before they have a chance to really fall apart though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ac5wE4zuI

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They seem useful in college towns if you don't have a car. My friend used to rent once or twice a month to go to wal mart. She was an international student so there was no reason for her to own a car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said, I'm totally taking them on the surface for the tiny pieces of poo poo they are, I just liked how small they were and want to tool around for my own amusement without worrying about purchasing or upkeep of one and it looked like the easiest way to indulge that. But if there were horror stories over the process that goons had then that would skew things differently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There was one that I saw with massive t-bone damage that looked like it lost a fight with a truck. I pulled out my phone and looked it up on the Car2Go app.

"Exterior Condition: :("

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
funnest commuter car ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

downside : if you hit anything you'll die

upside : you'll die grinning

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Back when Flexcar was around in 2007-2008 (later purchased by zipcar) my company used them instead of having company cars. The closest one to our office was a NC Miata - automatic, but still great to run errands in compared to a Prius.

I noticed that when the car was owned by Flexcar, it was kept fairly clean, but when Zipcar took over it quickly turned to poo poo and was pretty gross inside.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Zipcars are pretty badly maintained and quickly reach clapped out rental status, with the bonus of never being cleaned. I've heard better things about the competitors, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can see it being handy in that in some cities it's free parking everywhere, but it's $15 an hour, and with corporate rates at enterprise you can get a nissan versa for $15 a day and they pick you up and drop you off wherever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have experience with Hertz 24/7 (or whatever they've named it now).

The fuel cards were always missing (get fined if you don't leave it in the car), the gas tanks were always on fumes (supposed to drop it off with at least 1/4 tank or you get fined if someone complains), and they were usually filthy (... turns out they relied on the customers to keep them clean.... on a college campus). They did reimburse me for fuel (since fuel is supposed to be included in the rental anyway) and a car wash every time, it just took a couple of weeks.

Mechanically the cars were generally fine (I actually thought the Cruze was pretty fun, though it was raining and I had turned off traction control), but the cars they kept on campus were your typical GMs - Malibu, Cruze, etc. I'm sure a non-university location would have better cars.

e: I just realized you were asking specifically about Smart cars. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Das Volk posted:

Zipcars are pretty badly maintained and quickly reach clapped out rental status, with the bonus of never being cleaned. I've heard better things about the competitors, though.

Zipcar definitely keeps cars in their fleet longer than other rental companies, but the service is good, they're great at handling complaints. I think the worst rental I had from them was a previous-gen Sentra with like 47k that was clean but the interior looked like it had been driven through a slurpee factory and it rattled really bad at idle. But it was $7/hour and got me where I needed to go and back so who cares.

• Locked thread