Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The sound is a bit low on this one - I couldn't boost our voices much more without introducing a lot of clipping on account of the amount of yelling we start to do as this very last episode rolls across the screen.

Thanks for playing, kids :cheers:

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So someone explain what the entire last chapter (that is, everything after we kill Waltz on the mountain) actually is about.

the snail

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 31, 2017

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

evangelion_congratulations.gif

So I always knew Eternal Sonata was going to be bad. But all along I was hoping it would have been the trying-to-hard-to-be-deep kind of bad. Basically what happened in the beginning cutscene and at the end but throughout the entire game - MGS via JRPG. That would have been amazing (to watch).

I also cannot believe that someone seriously had Alan Smithee as their voice acting credit.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The one bit of the story that I thought was "good" that I alluded to literally two years ago, was Chopping finally coming to terms with the fact that he's dying and just going "gently caress it" and actually doing something. 'cause the only part of the plot that I was remotely interested in was how the dying man would handle his death. It even has the tiny suggestion of progression, with the world collapsing and him trying to reason something out of it.
and then that gets ruined by everything else that immediately follows. So much for that! At least there was a good Tower of Druaga reference.

The fight isn't hard even if you haven't done the bonus dungeon. And that "Grande Finale" cheevo for beating the game with "all characters remaining" just means you got Claves.

Thank you for going through this %27Nightmare. I enjoyed it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Sooo....

Choppin decides to commit suicide by police because...he accepts death? Btw, he doesn't actually die because of "anime power of friendshipTM"

Polka for some reason has to jump off a cliff in fantasy other dimension because she's going to die anyway. It turns out that this was how she was supposed to die anyway, which if she knew in advance and actually wanted to live, she could've just walked away and lived and...wait a minute! She DID know this in advance and basically decided to commit suicide for some stupid philosophical reason when she had everything to live for. Her death just starts her life over into another cycle where she's 5 years old again. Oh, and she comes back to life because someone actually got upset that she wanted to commit suicide. Yeah, that's gonna be a fun relationship!

Meanwhile, The king of Retard-ondo is dead and a giant dragon just opened a portal to the moon. Why did they even pursue it? Why didn't they just go back after they finished killing said dragon? Was the dragon even a threat? If they just closed the portal or even just killed the dragon and THEN closed the portal, none of this suicide pact crap would've been necessary. With king midget dead, the war with Baroque is over (it wasn't really a war to begin with since only one side was actually fighting), and the mineral powder would dry up sooner or later now that the country can't send support to the miners to mine it.

This game was either too ambitious to finish in time and in budget, or too disorganized to be coherent. It's pretty and the battle system is interesting, but it's too drat philosophical that it gets in the way of it's own plot. It isn't a bad game, just a bad story.

Thank you for recording it!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
what the gently caress

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Uuuuh, Wow. I really like that they ended the game with the irrelevant Sailor Says/ The power is yours stuff that American cartoons had in the 90's, shame the game continued after that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:stare: what the gently caress was that

I can't believe I wanted this game so badly when it came out. Thank you for LPing through this. Your commentary was sometimes the only thing keeping me going because holy god did I lose the plot train a while ago.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

This certainly was a game. Thanks for playing it so I never have to.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oldskool posted:

I can't believe I wanted this game so badly when it came out. Thank you for LPing through this. Your commentary was sometimes the only thing keeping me going because holy god did I lose the plot train a while ago.

Same. I remember when this game first made an in appearance on media, I thought that an RPG based around Frederic Chopin sounded like the coolest thing. Seeing this LP is like the conclusion to that curiosity I never knew I needed.

I can't believe that the final boss was beating up a Polish man for about five minutes. There wasn't a second form. Just pure Chop Chop action. I'm going to miss calling a famous composer Chop Chop. :( This fist fight with a lanky, illness-ridden Polish man was then followed by two hours of intensely confusing cutscenes, in which I questioned everything that had happened to that point. Jazz's motivations about overthrowing the cruel reign of an uncaring monarchy? Frederic being possibly a god in this dream world? Viola and her home? None of that matters. Have Frederic playing a piano, and a frustrating snail.

Many thanks for this entertaining LP, it was quite fun! And lastly,

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I'm on disability so you guessed correctly, I do have way too much free time!
Thank you for this... thing. It sure was a game. I think.
Also, what I got from that weird void scene where the characters all spoke to you is that pollution is bad and we should stop supporting the small group of people perpetuating it because WE STILL HAVE TIME!

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Thesaya posted:

Also, what I got from that weird void scene where the characters all spoke to you is that pollution is bad and we should stop supporting the small group of people perpetuating it because WE STILL HAVE TIME!

What I got from it was "There's still time to make something of your life you hikikomori NEETs, the only people committed enough to get this far into our lovely nonsensical game in the first place."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My takeaway from the game when I played it years ago with my brother was that it was telling you to go outside, nerd.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm not sure how I made it through this. I remember dropping Eternal Sonata like two hours in back when the game came out. And everything I heard since seemed to back up that position. I kept hearing about the absurd, crazy stuff that Eternal Sonata throws out later on, but I was never tempted enough to give up what I was already playing.

Thank you, Hbomb and Instant Grat. You made Eternal Sonata watchable, and now I know just how much a fantastic mess it can be. Will be looking forward to checking out anything else you LP!

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I don't even know what just happened but whatever it was I thank you for LPing it!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for the LP. One question though: does the PS3 version do the ending any differently?

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for the LP. One question though: does the PS3 version do the ending any differently?

I just watched the PS3 ending (having not watched any other PS3 cutscenes) and it's changed quite a lot. The structure is the same (fight chopin, polka jumps off a cliff, floats back up etc), but there's a lot of changed and added dialogue. For example, Polka recognizes that the final room is "the flower field in Tenuto", somehow. Also, the most bafflingly stupid thing that's so stupid I'm going to spoiler tag it since it's not in the 360 version at all and is tacked on at the very end (after the credits and Fin, before the snail); Chopin wakes up in bed in the real world. He's not actually dead? Not actually sure if it's any better or less confusing, since apparently there were a lot changed throughout the game, but hell if I'm watching all of Eternal Sonata again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Thanks for all the kind words! Sorry about not responding to them, I've been kind of occupied with health-poo poo at the moment. I'm really glad y'all enjoyed it, despite my atrocious update schedule :)

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I was rewatching the first few episodes and I noticed a couple things:

1. Polka takes Chopster out into the forest at night to show him the flowers, and she says they always bloom at exactly 2am. The same time he ends up dying in the real world at the end! It all makes sense! ...Not really, but... that's a consistent detail at least? It's like poetry, it rhymes. At least we finally got to see him play piano.

2. I wanted to make an "Allegretto more like Regretto" joke after the last video but turns out Hbomb made that joke, like, in the third episode. So instead I'll talk about how much I want to Beat Tri-Crescendo over the head with a textbook on how to write a drat coherent story. The plot was never amazing to begin with but that ending was a wet fart. A big, confusing wet fart. And it's not like this is an early or badly-ported JRPG where poo poo's getting lost in translation; every boring or nonsensical thing in this game was a conscious choice by the developers. Tri-Crescendo, what the gently caress?

I do still like some elements of this game. It's very pretty to look at, there are some great themes in the soundtrack, and the battle system seems solid and interesting- even if they didn't end up doing much with the whole light-and-dark thing like I thought they might, I like how the system evolved throughout the chapters to keep you on your toes. There are genuinely good things here! They deserve to be in a game that makes sense!

But that's all in the past now. We did it, we survived the nightmare. Happy second anniversary, Eternal Sonata thread :toot: Thanks Grat and Hbomb for seeing this whole thing through, you made this silly game watchable. To celebrate, here is some fanart for real this time:

see you in hell

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

see you in hell

:vince:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like the snail/caterpillar thing was the director wrapping up the project then realizing he didn't put in dialogue outright explaining his entire metaphor so he called in Narrator Guy at 1am to record some dialogue while the intern left at the office did the animation.

Though it's kind of weird how I'm willing to let that pass when compared to the rest of the ending.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well, that certainly was quite the ending, cheers to hbomb and instantgrat for the great LP! I find it curious how in the end, the battles do get some good mechanics and things going...in the final couple of chapters as the party rapidly approaches too-powerful-to-care.

What an ending that was. That certainly was a series of events I didn't expect to happen when I saw the party eventually catch up with Forte, and there sure were a lot of plot threads left hanging. I'm sure glad I got 10 minutes of The Chopster's anime adventure friends telling me that life is worth living, even if people are jerks sometimes!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

i have no idea what the gently caress

great LP

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This game was so interminable that I inadvertently started skipping videos simply because I had no idea what section I left off at. Congrats for enduring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
So I finally managed to get through the 2 hour behemoth that was Part 43, and I'm kind of surprised that while Bomberguy references Monty Python at least twice in the video, that he didn't do anything with the Heroic Polonaise being the basis for Oliver Cromwell.

edit: I'm halfway through the last episode and gently caress this game. Endlessly vomiting philosophy from a void is just the worst way you can end anything.

Inco fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 13, 2017

• Locked thread